Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 01:35 PM

SB

The two days I got out shooting it just after I got it in late Feb, the weather was absolutely beautiful. Very enjoyable to spend a few hours at the bench testing ammo. Not so nice up here the last week or so. I am going to wait till it gets back above zero and the winds are less obnoxious, but I will post the outcome after the next day out shooting.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:57 PM

Yep I'm dealing with the same problem. I've been itching to get out and shoot some test loads in the 444. Kind of depressing actually.

So, somewhat on topic, are there rifles that you wouldn't want to alter by bedding? In .22 I have a newer, and older CZ rifle. Both decently accurate. I'm sure they'll get handed down to the kids. The scout was actually purchased for my daughter. I would like to get a little more out of them tho.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Yep I'm dealing with the same problem. I've been itching to get out and shoot some test loads in the 444. Kind of depressing actually.

So, somewhat on topic, are there rifles that you wouldn't want to alter by bedding? In .22 I have a newer, and older CZ rifle. Both decently accurate. I'm sure they'll get handed down to the kids. The scout was actually purchased for my daughter. I would like to get a little more out of them tho.

The cz 452s I have and have had, really benefited from being bedded. They have a unique dovetailed round recoil lug. You have to be very careful to pastecine them correctly so you don't end up with a mechanically locked action. Bedding them with the barrel centered properly using a tape wrap, helps a bunch as many czs have an issue with the barrel being tight on one side, usually the right side. Sometimes enough to affect the groups from barrel rub. The cz is one that also benefits from doing the rear tang every time.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
We received some today- not sure what will be left after going through the waiting list

If buying by the 1375 ct bucket, they are 477.00 per 500
Is 477 per 500 accurate or did you mean 47 per 500. If the 477 is right you aren't going to run out of stock any time soon. Even Eley Tennex is only 280 for 500.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
We received some today- not sure what will be left after going through the waiting list

If buying by the 1375 ct bucket, they are 477.00 per 500
Is 477 per 500 accurate or did you mean 47 per 500. If the 477 is right you aren't going to run out of stock any time soon. Even Eley Tennex is only 280 for 500.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The cz 452s I have and have had, really benefited from being bedded. They have a unique dovetailed round recoil lug. You have to be very careful to pastecine them correctly so you don't end up with a mechanically locked action. Bedding them with the barrel centered properly using a tape wrap, helps a bunch as many czs have an issue with the barrel being tight on one side, usually the right side. Sometimes enough to affect the groups from barrel rub. The cz is one that also benefits from doing the rear tang every time.
Great to hear. I'll be looking into it.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most people have no idea how accurate their .22lr is, because they have never used even a lower end target ammunition like SK Standard Plus. A cheap .22 rifle with decent target loads, will often out shoot a high end .22 rifle with cheap bulk ammunition. And many people are shocked to have someone with a high end .22lr, and decent target loads out shoot their centerfire at 100m.
X2 .100m percent correct, this I seen for myself .
Old 03-14-2024, 03:49 PM

Bedding definitely improved the groups. Considering the wind was gusting 10-35 Klms/hr, it is shooting some fairly respectable groups. (All are 5 shot groups.) I did not try to hold for the wind but did try to not shoot when it was at full gust. Was only partially successful as you can see on the targets. It also got even blusterier as the day wore on.

Two other things to notice, the difference in ammo, plus how the groups opened then tightened when I switched from one ammo to the other, you can tell switch overs by the group number..

Old 03-14-2024, 04:13 PM

The wind was a factor, but it likes the SK+.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The wind was a factor, but it likes the SK+.
True. Surprisingly it also like the Federal auto match and that stuff was not great in a couple of other rifles. It did however do best with theSK. It got too windy or I would have tried some Tennex and Eley match I had with me.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:59 PM

I'd say it's ready for gophers.

And it does group the SK+ wicked good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone