Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 AM

Default Bore lapping a 280 hvy bbl

Well, this should get Icehunter's attention. He's been nagging me at least once every two years to get this rifle back.

Anyway, rifle is a 98 with a seiously hvy bbl. Shoots 5 shot groups into < 3/8" groups (you better jump in Icehunter, cause everbody's gonna say Bull on this one). However..it only does 1 5 shot group and then fouls and things go for nott. Been thinkin that either bore lapping or fire-lapping might be the answer. Actually been thinkin that for bout 14 or 15 years ever since I got it, but its seems to be one of those round to-its that I've never gotten to.

Anyway Cat, Dick, anybody???? with some sugesstions or experience bore-lapping.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:35 AM

I've never bore lapped or fire lapped a barrel.

Knew of one fellow who fire lapped a rifle of his, just a wee bit too much and basically washed out the first inch or so of the bores rifling, or so he claimed.

I would imagine that the barrel in question should get better WRT the fouling as it is shot more, but if that is'nt happening I'd recommend a tookalook with a borescope to see what your up against.

I'll PM you some contact info for someone with a borescope if your looking that way.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Default fire

Fire Lapping is a very eazy process, I have ordered my last three kits from Brownells.The bullets are in groups of 10 starting with course and going to fine, you fire them according to instructions. I have had very good results on barrells that were previously foulers.Brownells shipped right to my PO Box.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Well, from my point of view, it's either a long range bipod hunter or fun gun for the bench, right?
I would just keep cleaning it myself, or on a whim and not being worried about wreacking the barrel, buy a Tubb's fire lapping kit and see what's up!
Sounds like a great candidate for a fire lapping project for two reasons.
It's an older barrel, and it fouls!
How can you tell that OI know NUTNIN' about fire lapping??!!
Cat
Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 AM

I have used the Tubbs Final Finish and it definitely makes it easier/quicker to remove fouling. Accuracy may have improved a little but hard to tell.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM

I've used the Tubb's final finish. It does help with a rough bore in my experience. Cleaning is a bit easier as it appears that there is less fouling deposited.

I don't know what the fellow who claimed to have washed out his bore was using, but it most likely was a bad home made batch. Common sense seems to dictate that something grossly wrong in the proceedure with way too heavy a grit of abrasive was used.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Ya you got my attention....dont even think about lapping it...The best group I did with that rifle was 5 shots into one hole at 100 yards in front of about 10 ppl. The group only measured something like .330 if I can remember right.

Keep it very clean and it is happy or since I havent nagged ya in a couple of years ....sell it back to me and I will give it a good home and treat it like the queen she is....after all it is the season for giving..A 280 a good home...

An just think,after all the time I spent tracking that rifle back down using the CFC,and them not believing my story of me being the original builder of that rifle. Its like the story of the birth mother giving up a child for adoption...I want my daughter back now....