Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Default weatherby ultralight in 270 wby mag

One of these for sale locally 1500 with 4 boxes of ammo, hornady 140.
I have read a few issues with this guns accuracy and barrel life. Anyone here have experience with this rifle? It will be used for moose, and caribou if I purchase it. It has been fired less than 10 times to date, as new condition.

$1500 is still enough that I want to sure before I buy rather than take chances.

thanks

Steve
Old 12-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Buy it! If it doesn't shoot awesome then free float the bbl. That is a nice light gun and a great caliber. If I had the cash I would ask you where the gun is at.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scombden View Post
One of these for sale locally 1500 with 4 boxes of ammo, hornady 140.
I have read a few issues with this guns accuracy and barrel life. Anyone here have experience with this rifle? It will be used for moose, and caribou if I purchase it. It has been fired less than 10 times to date, as new condition.

$1500 is still enough that I want to sure before I buy rather than take chances.

thanks

Steve
Mint condition,that gun is worth $2000,$1500 is a good price
Old 12-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Mint condition,that gun is worth $2000,$1500 is a good price
A used Ultralight worth $2000?You can buy a brand new unfired Mark V Ultralight for $1873 from Ellwood Epps.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:04 PM

I have that gun and have taken a couple sheep and Caribou with it. Very nice but it may need a bit of work but will be worth it. If I can hit something with it then anyone can.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A used Ultralight worth $2000?You can buy a brand new unfired Mark V Ultralight for $1873 from Ellwood Epps.
Yaa $2000 at wholesale in calgary and they rip you off.A 280 AI cooper goes for about $2500 @ wholesale,when you can buy the same Gun @ PR firearms for $2100.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Very nice but it may need a bit of work but will be worth it.
What kind of work are you talking about?If something is defective,warranty should cover it.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 PM

$1500 is a decent price. I have only seen one Ultra Lightweight sell for less than that in the past year. Trust me I have seen every one sell in CDN and AO in the past 14 months.
Not that it matters but is this the older Grey with shiny stainless steel or the new tan with black stainless steel?
I have yet to see any accuracy or barrel life issues with a Krieger barrel.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
What kind of work are you talking about?If something is defective,warranty should cover it.
You can't get a dollar bill between the barrel and stock on all of these guns. minor tweaking.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 AM

sounds like your getting taken for a ride
thats way too much
please PM all contact info to me so I can tell this dude off directly.

jus razzn ya
id be all over that. the 270 is one of weatherbys better kept secrets,
do you reload?
what kind of glass are you planning on?
i might be concerned of cleaning rituals in those first important rounds?
what was the reason for selling?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 AM

Default 270

thanks for the info guys/gals. I don't reload, though I would like to start that when I have a room in the house I can keep the 3 and 1 year old children out of. The barrel is stainless but blackened.
As for the guys reason to sell... he has a left lower arm amputation and finds the gun too much for him, despite the lower weight.

I will be heading over today to have a look/lift. Will keep you all informed.

steve
Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 AM

Default 270

Has anyone heard that these guns have a low barrel life? It had been mentioned a couple times on the net. Not sure how reliable this info is. Can I expect this gun to fire 1'' groups at 100? frankly if it is 2'' groups I am happy due to expecting a little less accuracy from an ultralight.

again will keep you posted after I hold the gun today.

steve
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scombden View Post
Has anyone heard that these guns have a low barrel life? It had been mentioned a couple times on the net. Not sure how reliable this info is. Can I expect this gun to fire 1'' groups at 100? frankly if it is 2'' groups I am happy due to expecting a little less accuracy from an ultralight.

again will keep you posted after I hold the gun today.

steve
if you are going to buy a 270 Weatherby, I would STRONLGLY suggest that you start buying reloading gear unless you plan on only shooting a few rounds to check it then a only a few a year.
That stuff is expensive and can be hard to find at times.
As far as barrels burning out, the danged things are freebored anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

What kind of accuracy you can get out of it mattrers, not the condition the barrel is in.
I know this is a sort of contradictory statement, but a hunting rifle does not have to shoot tiny little groups, it has to kill critters, and a gun that shoots 1.5MOA is fine for that.
Cat
Old 12-21-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I have yet to see any accuracy or barrel life issues with a Krieger barrel.
Except it isn't a Kreiger barrel,it is a Criterion barrel.Criterion is simply a company owned by Kreiger.The Criterion barrels are made using an entirely different process.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/FAQ-c1246-wp3352.htm

From that link

Quote:
Q: Why is there some confusion that we might do button rifling?

A: In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market. These barrels are not directly for sale to the general public. Recently there have been some magazine articles written regarding this company which has caused some confusion. Be assured that when you order a Krieger Barrel, you are getting a single-point cut-rifled Krieger Barrel.
Shortly after that appeared on the Kreiger site,Weatherby stopped using the Kreiger name in their adds,why do you suppose that is?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Except it isn't a Kreiger barrel,it is a Criterion barrel.Criterion is simply a company owned by Kreiger.The Criterion barrels are made using an entirely different process.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/FAQ-c1246-wp3352.htm

From that link

Shortly after that appeared on the Kreiger site,Weatherby stopped using the Kreiger name in their adds,why do you suppose that is?

After a little researching this is what I learned from the Weatherby Forums……
Krieger made Ultra Lightweight barrels up to 2000. After that the Ultra Lightweight barrels were under the name of Criterion. The barrels that the Accumark use are still Krieger.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
$1500 is a decent price. I have only seen one Ultra Lightweight sell for less than that in the past year. Trust me I have seen every one sell in CDN and AO in the past 14 months...
You must not be watching hard enough - 2 ultralight 257's have sold in the last few months for under $1500. Problem is they only last for a few hours and they are gone.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
After a little researching this is what I learned from the Weatherby Forums……
Krieger made Ultra Lightweight barrels up to 2000. After that the Ultra Lightweight barrels were under the name of Criterion. The barrels that the Accumark use are still Krieger.
The sources that I found online made it clear that Criterion produced all of the barrels for production rifles where the Kreiger name was advertised.The Weatherby Accumark advertising specifies Kreiger Criterion barrels.Look for yourself.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=20298

Quote:
* Free-floated Krieger™ Criterion™ barrel with longitudinal flutes to trim weight and dissipate heat (.705 muzzle diameter)
http://www.webarms.com/gun%20supplie...nweatherby.htm

Quote:
* Weatherby Mark V Accumark -

Those who feel the need for a super accurate, synthetic stocked, long range deer rifle can probably do no better than the Weatherby Accumark. The Accumark features all of the usual Weatherby performance enhancing features (see Mark V Deluxe above). In addition, there is a special hand-laminated Monte Carlo composite stock with a molded-in aluminum bedding plate that stiffens the receiver. The fluted Krieger Criterion stainless steel barrel has a heavy contour and a recessed field crown. Weight is 7.25 pounds in standard calibers and overall length is 44"
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Wea...n_id=100107831

Quote:
Weatherby Mark V Accumark (Unfired) 30-378 Wthby Magnum--This is a previously owned firearm that was traded in to us. It remains new and unfired in the factory box. It is finished with a hand-laminated raised comb Monte Carlo stock with matte gel coat finish and spiderweb accents, aricraft aluminium CNC machined bedding plate, Krieger Criterion heavy contour free floated barrel with factory removable muzzle break - unfired in the box
http://www.kcssportinggoods.com/mark...r-p-17885.html

Quote:
Accumark
Features a specially-designed, hand-laminated, raised comb, Monte Carlo composite stock with matte gel coat finish and spiderweb accents. Mark V action is bed to an aircraft-grade 6061 T-6 aluminum CNC-machined bedding plate. Krieger Criterion heavy contour free-floated barrel delivers maximum velocity and features a .705 muzzle diameter.

http://www.weatherbynation.com/spike...rrels-t2495/0/

Quote:
I had a nice conversation wth the owner of krieger and Criterion today he set-up both company's to keep the two rifling processes seperated. Krieger for cut rifling and Criterion for button rifling. Standard MK V's are Criterion button riflied. Weatherby does have the option of getting the cut rifling option at their custom shop.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-21-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 PM

This is a quote from a Weatherby employee:

"Weatherby has sourced barrels for the Sporter from 3 different makers. When first introduced, the Mark V Sporter was made by HOWA (the current VANGUARD factory) and the barrels were made in that plant. HOWA used the cold hammer forged process. When production was moved to the US in 1995, SDI (Saco Defense Inc. of Saco, Maine) became the maker. They too used the cold hammer forged process. When production was moved to Minnesota barrel manufacturing was moved to Criterion Manufacturing (a division of Krieger Barrels). Criterion process uses the button rifling process."
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 PM

I have an ultralightweight in 280.........best gun I have ever owned. Shoots awesome, shoulders and handles like a dream. Topped with a swarovski 4-12, its the unit!!
That price is great, if you don't want it let me know,I will buy it in a heartbeat.
PM me if you're gonna pass on it.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
The sources that I found online made it clear that Criterion produced all of the barrels for production rifles where the Kreiger name was advertised.The Weatherby Accumark advertising specifies Kreiger Criterion barrels.Look for yourself.
How about any Accumarks and Ultra Lightweights pre 2000?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
How about any Accumarks and Ultra Lightweights pre 2000?
Read Doubleguns post.it answers your question.

Quote:
This is a quote from a Weatherby employee:

"Weatherby has sourced barrels for the Sporter from 3 different makers. When first introduced, the Mark V Sporter was made by HOWA (the current VANGUARD factory) and the barrels were made in that plant. HOWA used the cold hammer forged process. When production was moved to the US in 1995, SDI (Saco Defense Inc. of Saco, Maine) became the maker. They too used the cold hammer forged process. When production was moved to Minnesota barrel manufacturing was moved to Criterion Manufacturing (a division of Krieger Barrels). Criterion process uses the button rifling process."
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Read Doubleguns post.it answers your question.
That mentions the Mark V Sporter. Don't see any mention of the Accumarks and Ultra Lightweights.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
I have an ultralightweight in 280.........best gun I have ever owned. Shoots awesome, shoulders and handles like a dream. Topped with a swarovski 4-12, its the unit!!
I have the same in the 257.....it's my go to girl!!!!

tm
Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
That mentions the Mark V Sporter. Don't see any mention of the Accumarks and Ultra Lightweights
It applies to all the standard production Mark V models.If you want to have a real Kreiger barrel,you are going to have to buy a gun that either came from the custom shop with a Kreiger,or a gun that had the barrel replaced with a Kreiger afterward,or you are going to have your gun rebarreled with a Kreiger.I have no doubt that Weatherby used the Kreiger Criterion label in their ads to give people that didn't know the difference, the impression that the guns came with real Kreiger barrels.Obviously the idea was a success.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:12 AM

There is a ultralight on CGN right now for $1350 in 257WM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 AM

I am very happy with my 300 Wby Ultralightweight. I would say that it is a bit fussy but I think that is to be expected with such a thin barrel. I think the rifles are a great compromise for those of us who prefer a light rifle in a 26" barrel. To get that, you are going to have a thin barrel that can affect accuracy when it heats up. I had do a bit of minor stock work to mine and try a fair number of loads to get it to shoot how I want it to but it has certainly become my go-to gun for almost every situation. If you do decide to do some stock work to one, my advice is don't remove the pressure point at the front right away. Try floating the space between the pressure point and the action first and then test it. Also make sure you follow their guidelines when you re-attach the stock each time as far as torquing the screws is concerned.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:03 PM

I have one in 7mm WM with a Leupold B&C and love it! It's all I use anymore.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:26 AM

Didn't buy the gun. Was not in great condition, several nicks in the barrel. He had a glue gun job to attach a rest on the front, possibly due to his shooting with one arm. rust in the chamber and on the trigger.

so searching again I go for the ideal caribou and moose gun.

He had an older Mark V 270 WBY, it felt about the same weight, better balance, and felt much nicer to hold. He had the gun for ~20 years. Not for sale, but felt soo much nicer than the ultralight.

wish me luck in the search

Steve
Old 12-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Default browning

Just ordered a 300 WSM browning a-bolt white gold medallion.
hope this will do the trick.

thanks everyone for the feedback. For those looking for the guy selling the 270 WBY pm me, I can provide the contact info. He is in NL though

thanks again, love the forum

Steve

now time to buy a nice shotgun.....