Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 AM

Thumbs up Restricted license help

I have missed my renewal and my non-restricted license expired. I have been trained for restricted and was hoping to get it. I spoke to the Firearms (make work) centre in NB and they said I would need to have an interview to explain my need for a restricted firearm. I do not own one presently but would like to keep the option open. Should I bother? The only use I would have would be for bear protection (when salmon fishing remote coastal rivers)and I do not believe you can carry it unless going to of from a range or shooting club.
Thanks for anyones opinion on this.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
sheephunter

Never heard of that before. I'd just apply for your restricted and see what happens. If you took the course, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Gone Hunting

If you are talking about just getting a restricted license, you won't neeed to explain anything. If you have taken the course send the paperwork in and get your license.

If you are talking about carrying a restricted firearm i.e. a handgun for bear protection, then you have your work cut out for you and you will have to justify the need for a carry permit.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Redfrog is right.... it's tough to get an ATC (authority to carry) permit unless it's for work. If it's for protection from bears while fishing, your chances of getting one are almost NIL.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 PM

I appreciate the comments. It concerns me why an official at the Firearms office would give me "misinformation". Once I mentioned I wanted to re-instate my legal right to the restricted license she immediated said I would need an interview to essentially legitimize my right to have one. It has become status quo to be anti gun, even those working a job that is focused on guns .Vote conservative and lets keep the changes going. Next time we may be able to make ammendments to the Indian Act! If that is possible anything is! ( uh, oh I heard the racist word from someone out there...Always an effective way to avoid the real issue!). We are all Canadians. Some immigrated before others. The wheel goes round, atleast the one invented and brought here by later immigrants.