Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-02-2022, 11:01 AM

Default Which GPS Collar for Pointer?

Hey Bird Dog Owners,

In the market for a GPS dog collar for my pointer. Taking her out several times this past fall, I was strictly utilizing an E-collar for training/recall if required.

As my young Brit became more comfortable this fall she increased her range. This is fine and expected, but I found that in a lot of the areas I hunted, I was not able to keep track of her and would not be able to know if she was pointing when out of sight... Hate the thought of yelling for recall or even worse, giving her a buzz when she is out of sight on point.

So I am in the market for a GPS collar. I have mostly looked at the Garmin options and am hoping those that are using or have used GPS collars can provide their feedback on the Garmins or any other GPS collars that they have used.

The only Garmin GPS available in Canada is the Garmin Astro 900, but I am looking at the models available in the US as well (Astro 430 and Alpha 100). I do understand the US models are not technically legal to use in Canada, but am concerned about the range of the Astro 900.

In a perfect world, would love to have great range and refresh and a GPS/E-collar combo (I believe the Garmin Alpha 100 has all of this functionality), but do understand that it is high cost and technically not approved for use in Canada. For those that are using GPS collars, please educate me on pros and cons of your units.

And also for those that are using the Alpha 100 or Astro 430, is there any issues about functionality in Canada. If you don't feel comfortable posting, feel free to PM.

Thanks for your input.

DR
Old 02-02-2022, 11:20 AM

I use the Astro 100 and it’s fantastic. Couldn’t care less it’s not legal here it works amazing and I can’t recommend it enough.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:46 PM

the 900 has a range of 8kms, now knock some of that down for hills, shrubs, etc... even if it was 5 kms thats a long long looong ways when your bird hunting.

Realistically even with a Britney your not having it anywhere near over 1 km max at any time. I have hunted with them, and yes I know how they love to run and run. But you still need control, if your dog is pointing at a bird 1 km away, you think your going to get there with it still pointing at the bird. The bird will be long gone. You need to work together as a team.

If your using cougar dogs and they are running and treeing a cat that is a different story.

I do understand needing the range if/when the dog takes off on you as a Brit will do one day. But with even if its down to 5kms real world you have plenty of time for a recall if your paying any sort of attention.

Nothing ruins another groups hunt like a random dog running through with no one even close to the dog.

Anyways the Asto 900 is what I know my good friend uses for their Britt, and its $400 off today at Cabelas.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:13 PM

Get one in Montana.
You won't want to wish you had the extra range.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:07 AM

Default Pointer Range

I believe we are using a Dogtra collar for our dogs. However, how far your dog ranges is a personal question. For me, especially when I am hunting pheasants I want the dog to be in range of sight. Not so close I can touch him, but I don't want him disappearing into the next quarter section either. Important point for a younger dog because once a dog starts picking up bad habits such as ranging too far, or busting birds on its own then you have your work cut out for you. Those types of problems will have to be remedied in the off season by using pigeons or birds used for training. With this training, and as you get to know your dog, then you will start working together as a team. And that is what all bird dog owners are striving to achieve.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:31 AM

I had limited experience with the SporDog TEK 1.5 and found it quite cumbersome, although my friend likes his setup.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:07 AM

Thanks all for the feedback so far and apologize for taking people away from the convoy thread to add input on a hunting thread...

Has anyone used both the Garmin Astro 900 and the Alpha 100 and have some real world experience/feedback between the 2?

I did pick up the Astro 900 when it was on sale at Cabelas for $500.. but wondering if the Alpha is worth essentially double the cost (or more)?

Thanks,

DR
Old 02-04-2022, 09:12 AM

Not sure where you are hunting but where I hunt I would not let my dog get more than 70 yds from me, and that is in the open. I have had my dogs be tempted by coyotes more than a few times. Bastards would love to kill a dog, and will try and draw them out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Thanks all for the feedback so far and apologize for taking people away from the convoy thread to add input on a hunting thread...

Has anyone used both the Garmin Astro 900 and the Alpha 100 and have some real world experience/feedback between the 2?

I did pick up the Astro 900 when it was on sale at Cabelas for $500.. but wondering if the Alpha is worth essentially double the cost (or more)?

Thanks,

DR
The Alpha is worth the extra money without a doubt. I ran the 100 in Canada and am now running the 200. The 200 is a game changer when it comes to running multiple dogs and ease of use. Double U Supply in Washington will ship to Canada...
Old 02-06-2022, 02:55 PM

Dogtra pathfinder for me. Been running for 4 years now. Hasn’t let me down yet in any scenerio. Going to use it with Apple Watch and make it even more seamless. Highly recommend.