Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Default Question for fly tiers.

UV Resin.

I was looking at getting some more of the Loon Thick UV Resin but it's 45.00 for a not very big bottle.

Made me wonder that this can't be the ONLY uv resin around. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation for a brand they use instead of the stuff they sell at the fly shops.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7u5zseu970_e

Don't know if that helps, but you are on your way to saving money by understanding that fly tying supplies are just repurposed items, with other uses.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7u5zseu970_e

Don't know if that helps, but you are on your way to saving money by understanding that fly tying supplies are just repurposed items, with other uses.
Yeah I was looking through Amazon that's why I was asking for brands people already tried and had success with.

Thanks for trying though it's appreciated.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 PM

In my opinion 5 min epoxy is much better sure it takes longer to cure and is a bit messy but it is way tougher than the uv resin you can pretty much pick off the uv stuff with your fingernails so it doesn't last long, also you can get epoxy anywhere I get mine at the dollar store for 1.50 lol. When I went to go buy that loon stuff when I first started the guy at wholesale south Edmonton told me don't buy that just go to any hardware store and get the epoxy lol
Old 11-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
In my opinion 5 min epoxy is much better sure it takes longer to cure and is a bit messy but it is way tougher than the uv resin you can pretty much pick off the uv stuff with your fingernails so it doesn't last long, also you can get epoxy anywhere I get mine at the dollar store for 1.50 lol. When I went to go buy that loon stuff when I first started the guy at wholesale south Edmonton told me don't buy that just go to any hardware store and get the epoxy lol
..."takes longer to cure and is a bit messy"...
exactly the reasons I choose to use UV resin
Old 11-01-2016, 06:01 PM

I use Solarez. I have bought it online for as low as $3.00
Old 11-01-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
..."takes longer to cure and is a bit messy"...
exactly the reasons I choose to use UV resin
Ditto.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 PM

I'm using that bondic pen seems to be holding up fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 09:24 PM

I went through the uv resin phase, but honestly I feel epoxies like envirolite and even just plain old 5-min epoxy to be much stronger. Yeah there's not an immediate satisfaction of immediate curing, but epoxies are WAY stronger. Just my opinion. I've experimented a ton and I keep coming back to epoxy.
Edit: if you want a clear coat, run a heat gun or heat source over the epoxy to pop any micro bubbles. That will give you a crystal clear finish.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I went through the uv resin phase, but honestly I feel epoxies like envirolite and even just plain old 5-min epoxy to be much stronger. Yeah there's not an immediate satisfaction of immediate curing, but epoxies are WAY stronger. Just my opinion. I've experimented a ton and I keep coming back to epoxy.
Edit: if you want a clear coat, run a heat gun or heat source over the epoxy to pop any micro bubbles. That will give you a crystal clear finish.
I tie flies when I am working night shifts so having a station to rotate the flies so they dry evenly and not droop is not possible.

UV resin is the only option for me at the moment.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
That's a nice story, but you haven't answered the OP's question.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Banned

Loon Knot Sense
Old 11-02-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I tie flies when I am working night shifts so having a station to rotate the flies so they dry evenly and not droop is not possible.

I like clear cure goo, but also tuffleye is good. Make sure your lamp is powerful for the hardest cure. I used to use two torches.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:21 PM

I use a variety of resins depending on the purpose. If I want a hard shell for a wing case e.g. brassie I use KnotSense. Not overly expensive and easy to obtain. It does leave an oily residue on the fly but a quick swap with a rubbing alcohol dipped Qtip takes care of that. I also use resin as a head cement, for that I use Quo by Orly (a nail product you can pick up at any cosmetic counter). It is very thin and soaks into thread wraps as well as any head cement. With any UV resin I use, I try to get the fly out into the open sunlight as soon as I can, after initial treatment. This really helps set up the resin. I know this isn't much of an option on a night shift, but do it as soon as you get home . I often leave a dozen flies, I have just done, out in the sun for an afternoon, stuck into a large piece of foam.
By the way, if you want to try epoxy instead, just tie yup all the flies you want and when you get a good number (6-12 is my target), then do the epoxy at home during the day.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:

You tie flies at work? Are you hiring? Lol

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2016, 04:59 PM

http://www.sallybeauty.com/led-uv-bo....html#start=16

Enough to do hundreds of flies. Builds up nicely and is very clear. This is the American website.... about $24 cdn. Lot's of locations in Calgary.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ultra-Violet-B...=uv+flashlight
Old 11-02-2016, 10:44 PM

This stuff works. Use a good light.

CDN source is http://www.canadianllama.com/uv-resin

And to see what others think, check out http://www.flyfishfood.com/2015/10/u...-shootout.html

Don
Old 11-03-2016, 12:29 AM

I haven't used any 5min epoxy, but, I seem to remember complaints about it discoloring and avoiding it because of that. I did use 30min epoxy on salt water streamers, like deceivers and such, it stayed clear, and superglue. 30min stuff is a bit harder to find, but nice to use when doing batches of flies. For the normal nymph size stuff, and chironomids, the UV stuff works well enough, I've used Sally Hansen's as well on them. And I've used brushable superglue on things like balanced flies. Sometimes I use two or three different products on one fly.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:04 AM

http://www.sallybeauty.com/led-uv-se...efault,pd.html

posted the wrong product in the original link. This is what I use.

With ANY UV light which covers a wavelength of 350nm, it dries in 10 seconds... 15 if you go thick.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
With ANY UV light which covers a wavelength of 350nm, it dries in 10 seconds... 15 if you go thick.
Sorry... Any LED UV light. Regular UV lights take longer.

Plus I also found this on the net:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kafuter-Stro...-/111346335820

Sounds promising.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I haven't used any 5min epoxy, but, I seem to remember complaints about it discoloring and avoiding it because of that.
5-minute epoxy does turn yellowish over time, but that time is pretty long in my experience. I have coated flies (epoxy minnows for searuns primarily) and they kept their colour for over a year. Ones in box now that are 4-5 years old are noticeably yellower, but still are very fishable. The barring on the mallard flank is very clear and I wouldn't hesitate to fish these flies (I will be doing so in a couple of months in the rivers and streams in the Lower Mainland).
Old 11-16-2016, 10:54 AM

Hi guys
Try this stuff that is used by the pros doing finger nails.
Seche Ultra-V
You can get it thick or thin. At your local place where nail polish is sold.
I have 5 cheep hackle pliers with the rubber and brass clamps. I do 5 flies then put them each in a hackle plier and coat them all at once. You can also buy the fingernail lamp assembly for a few backs then you wife or girl friend can use it also and she will be very happy.
OR buy the good lady the nail polish and lamp you can borrow it.
I did 300 chronomids with a bottle of the thin stuff. worked well
Bjay
Old 11-16-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Hi guys
Try this stuff that is used by the pros doing finger nails.
Seche Ultra-V
You can get it thick or thin. At your local place where nail polish is sold.
I have 5 cheep hackle pliers with the rubber and brass clamps. I do 5 flies then put them each in a hackle plier and coat them all at once. You can also buy the fingernail lamp assembly for a few backs then you wife or girl friend can use it also and she will be very happy.
OR buy the good lady the nail polish and lamp you can borrow it.
I did 300 chronomids with a bottle of the thin stuff. worked well
Bjay
Nice ... I asked the wife and she will be keeping an eye out for some of the uv clear when she's shopping.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Nice ... I asked the wife and she will be keeping an eye out for some of the uv clear when she's shopping.

Thanks
Don't be a fraidy-cat. It takes about 2 minutes to walk into London drugs, head over to the nail polish racks and pick up a bottle of UV coating. Yu can do it millsboy!!
Old 11-16-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Don't be a fraidy-cat. It takes about 2 minutes to walk into London drugs, head over to the nail polish racks and pick up a bottle of UV coating. Yu can do it millsboy!!
Oh I know I can. I still have some of the "Loon" brand left and I figured she would find some before I run out although she doesn't have the best memory. If she doesn't find any before my next days off I will be sure to check it out myself.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:12 PM

Side note ... I have the zap a gap crazy glue but it doesn't have a brush.

Have you ever found a container you could transfer it to with a brush?

Although as I say that I would assume the air in the other container would be enough to make it set so I don't think it would work anyways.

Guess the better question would be where you found your superglue in a container with a brush?

Thanks

Tags
loon knot sense