Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2015, 11:21 AM

Default Fly lines

I know about the standards of Scientific angler, Airlfo, And Rio. But are there any other brands of fly lines that I should try and track down? I am looking to line up a brand new 3 weight.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:14 PM

Old 12-22-2015, 12:44 PM

I've used Cortland a lot over the years, I find it to be a good line for the money.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Has anyone used Varivas or royal wulff lines?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM

Default Royal Wolf

I have this stuff in the saltwater 9 wt. Was not impressed at all. It got very sticky in the salt and screwed up my casting.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Orvis hydros was not bad I had it on my 4 weight it was slightly textured.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:20 PM

Have you thought of getting a silk line only heard good things about them not sure who makes them though

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 12-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutmonk View Post
Has anyone used Varivas or royal wulff lines?
I'm using both and am quite happy. Wulff in 5,6,7 weight, and varivas airs in 5wt. For an all rounder I'd pick varivas airs. It cuts through wind easier than Wulff, mends better and floats higher.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:57 PM

I have good luck with orvis I think they are made by scientific angler
Old 12-23-2015, 08:24 AM

Do you guys get your lines to match the rod or a size higher to load the rod better. Eg. 4weight rod with a 5 weight line.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 AM

I've never left rio in the 13 years i've been fly fishing.

The vast majority of lines for all line companies are made at RIO, Airflo and Scientific Anglers factories, and just rebranded.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:25 PM

Generally you should match the line to the rod but if the rod is to stiff for your casting style/ability overline helps. Bottom line is there is no answer to your question as it all depends on the rod and the arm. I have underlined some rods for particularly long cast stuff
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 PM

With the lighter line weights, it is not so much about distance,,, but rather accuracy with a soft touch landing,,, and it helps if it can handle a bit of breeze. I really like the Cortland's 444 classic taper for this purpose. The 444 has been around for over 50 years for a good reason, it still performs.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
With the lighter line weights, it is not so much about distance,,, but rather accuracy with a soft touch landing,,, and it helps if it can handle a bit of breeze. I really like the Cortland's 444 classic taper for this purpose. The 444 has been around for over 50 years for a good reason, it still performs.
Is it a weight forward or double taper. I'm getting a four weight soon and may do a double taper since most of my action is 20-30 feet out. I heard having the weight of the line at your tip is a great feeling for control when the line is out.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2alarmfishing View Post
Is it a weight forward or double taper. I'm getting a four weight soon and may do a double taper since most of my action is 20-30 feet out. I heard having the weight of the line at your tip is a great feeling for control when the line is out.
The 444 comes in either WF or DT.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 PM

I have used Rio and Airflo. I found the Rio which is a PVC line doesn't last as long as an Airflo which is made from Polyetheline I believe. I have worn out lots of Rio's but have yet to wear out a Airflo. Last time I checked Airflo has a longer gauranty than Rio, something like 5 years I think. I have switched to Airflo on all of my single hand and spey lines.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:33 AM

Here's an independent line producer that makes lines as thin as they get. I maybe will try one someday when I need a new line. They're called sunray; http://sunrayflyfish.com free shipping to Canada I think with coupon code? Anyway yeah, I usually use rio or airflo. I'm not a fan of SA. Line comes down to personal preference.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 AM

Default lines

Also in 2016 I think there will be none stretch cores coming out. I will be waiting to try them out.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post
Also in 2016 I think there will be none stretch cores coming out. I will be waiting to try them out.
So which brand(s) are you referring to? Is this some new fly line technology?

Rio and Airflo have been marketing Non stretch lines for quite a while now. Several manufactures feature "low stretch" lines.

As general rule, fly lines have this thing called memory and the stiffer the fly line the harder it is to straighten and keep straight when it is fished outside its' designed temperature range.

Here's a good article on fly line memory and stretch.

http://midcurrent.com/gear/fly-line-...nd-stretching/
Old 12-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Here's an independent line producer that makes lines as thin as they get. I maybe will try one someday when I need a new line. They're called sunray; http://sunrayflyfish.com free shipping to Canada I think with coupon code? Anyway yeah, I usually use rio or airflo. I'm not a fan of SA. Line comes down to personal preference.
I looked into sunray. I have been seeing their lines around the internet a lot. But, they are a GB company and the pound to dollar conversion is brutal. The lines are like 126 bucks. Are there any Calgary distributers?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Has anyone used the new textured lines? Are they any good?
Old 12-26-2015, 03:06 PM

I have one on my 5 wt and it is super annoying!!

-Confucius
Old 12-26-2015, 06:31 PM

I have one on my five weight now. Its the sharkskin line by SA. I liked it at first but by the end I found it pretty mediocre. It's older technology now so the sharkwave which is a 2.0 textured line for them i hear is better. I had the airflo Dri FLi and i liked that one a bit but it seemed fragile developed a crack right below the loop weld.

I have had a long email conversation with Tom Bell the owner and creator of Sunray fly-fishing and I have ordered one of there JL presentation lines for my three weight. I will let you all know how it is when I get my rod strung up and I get some practice casts in.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Shadow makes fly lines in any colour you want starting as low as $20, not sure about the quality on them though
Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2alarmfishing View Post
Has anyone used the new textured lines? Are they any good?
I didn't like the Shark Skin but fish the textured Trout Tapers from SA and really like them. The noise from the eyes takes a bit of getting use to but it picks very clean off the water and flies out of the rod. I look after my lines but I have read some reports of people finding that textured lines pick up dirt more than others. This could not only cause performance issues but might even cause undue wear to the rod eyes.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:32 AM

I have sharkskin on my 3wt and my 8wt. Its so/so on my 3wt dont like it as much as liked the orvis hydros super fine. It was great untill it fell apart right where the taper met the running line. I do love the 8wt sharkskin magnum taper for casting pike flies. Going to try some airflo this year and some varivas (however its spelled). Never liked the rio gold I tried a few years ago but never tried any of thier new offerings. 444 is good and durable but to expensive for what it is since price went up. I like the noise of the textured lines they hold dirt about the same as other lines and havent noticed any wear on guides 3 yrs plus on both rods.