Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Banned

Default A newbie needing a full fly set up.

I've fished all my life but never really fly fished. But I find lots of times it would be nice to have a small set up I can keep in the car or take on my motorbike, which isn't practical with the style of fishing I've always done.
So I'm wanting one of the compact 4 piece rod set ups, that fit in the little case with the reel attached and a box of flies and I'll be set.
But I have no idea what I'm looking for.
I'll be fishing local small lakes and ponds and the rivers. From small creeks up to the bow. Just recreational fishing and the like, often with my daughter.

I'll also look to get some lessons as from my previous few attempts at fly fishing the skill is definitely lacking.

So guys I turn to you for advice. What do I need? I'd rather buy quality once than need to upgrade.
Cheers
Old 07-28-2014, 04:16 PM

What kind of budget are you looking at?

It's hard to pick on setup for all fishing conditions, but a 5 weight is perhaps a good place to start from what you say you plan on fishing. Might be a little light for tossing heavier streamers and nymphs on the Bow, but it's a good all round trout rod.

The best advise I can give for someone shopping for their first fly rod is don't cheap out on the line. The packages that are sold are usually sold with cheap line, so I would suggest buying your rod, line, and reel separately. You should be able to get a decent quality setup for less than $300. Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) is one brand of rod that I would recommend.

Rio, Cortland, and Scientific Anglers all make pretty good line, but there are other good brands on the market as well.

On a smaller set up, the reel is mostly for storing your line, I wouldn't worry to much about a drag system too much. (click and pawl is probably ok for most trout fishing... a disc drag isn't really necessary, with the disc drag reels being more expensive usually)
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
What kind of budget are you looking at?

It's hard to pick on setup for all fishing conditions, but a 5 weight is perhaps a good place to start from what you say you plan on fishing. Might be a little light for tossing heavier streamers and nymphs on the Bow, but it's a good all round trout rod.

The best advise I can give for someone shopping for their first fly rod is don't cheap out on the line. The packages that are sold are usually sold with cheap line, so I would suggest buying your rod, line, and reel separately. You should be able to get a decent quality setup for less than $300. Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) is one brand of rod that I would recommend.

Rio, Cortland, and Scientific Anglers all make pretty good line, but there are other good brands on the market as well.

On a smaller set up, the reel is mostly for storing your line, I wouldn't worry to much about a drag system too much. (click and pawl is probably ok for most trout fishing... a disc drag isn't really necessary, with the disc drag reels being more expensive usually)
budget is flexible. id rather buy quality and keep for a long time/life than cheap out and need to upgrade. but balanced with the fact I'm not a world class fisherman, especially as my fly fishing experience in hours can be counted on one or two hands.

a very experienced friend of mine got a 6 piece cabelas 9ft 5 weight and he says its fantastic. he has rods costing thousands, and he says that one feels better than them all.
and the small package size does look good for travelling etc.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
budget is flexible. id rather buy quality and keep for a long time/life than cheap out and need to upgrade. but balanced with the fact I'm not a world class fisherman, especially as my fly fishing experience in hours can be counted on one or two hands.

a very experienced friend of mine got a 6 piece cabelas 9ft 5 weight and he says its fantastic. he has rods costing thousands, and he says that one feels better than them all.
and the small package size does look good for travelling etc.
The higher end rods can cost from $400 - $600 or more, but I personally don't think you need to spend that much to get a quality rod that will last a lifetime. I've also heard some good things about Cabela's rods, but I'm not sure who actually makes them.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I've fished all my life but never really fly fished. But I find lots of times it would be nice to have a small set up I can keep in the car or take on my motorbike, which isn't practical with the style of fishing I've always done.
So I'm wanting one of the compact 4 piece rod set ups, that fit in the little case with the reel attached and a box of flies and I'll be set.
But I have no idea what I'm looking for.
I'll be fishing local small lakes and ponds and the rivers. From small creeks up to the bow. Just recreational fishing and the like, often with my daughter.

I'll also look to get some lessons as from my previous few attempts at fly fishing the skill is definitely lacking.

So guys I turn to you for advice. What do I need? I'd rather buy quality once than need to upgrade.
Cheers
Redington's Topo Combo is good but I'd recommend the Path Combo for a better reel. Then I'd get a fly box loaded with the appropriate flies. Superfly might have something or try a dedicated fly shop for a 20-30 fly set up.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Banned

ok, cheers guys.
I've at least learned a starting point for what i need. i know more than i did an hour ago.

as for flies, I've got a friend who ill bribe into tying me a load.

i wonder if a WTB ad here is worth trying? someone selling the whole lot maybe..

the only thing i really knew before was Hardy reels used be very good, as thats what my brother aspired towards when we were growing up.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM

If you buy Echo or some of the higher end Redington combos, you'll get a rod and reel for around $200-$300 that you won't ever need to upgrade.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
If you buy Echo or some of the higher end Redington combos, you'll get a rod and reel for around $200-$300 that you won't ever need to upgrade.
ok, and where would be the best places to shop for these?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM

I would talk to your bro and the buddy who will tie your flies. If he will tie flies for you I would ask to try out his rod(s). Same with the brother.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I would talk to your bro and the buddy who will tie your flies. If he will tie flies for you I would ask to try out his rod(s). Same with the brother.
lol.
i would if i could.
brother is living in England and friend who will help me with flies is 9 hours away in southern BC.
he's the one who likes the cabelas rod.
next time i get out to see him ill be bending his ear with all these questions, don't worry.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
ok, and where would be the best places to shop for these?
Fish Tales is very helpful and carries both

Wholesale sports does too I think...

pick a few that people suggest and read some reviews, then go test cast them at Fish Tales.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Fish Tales is very helpful and carries both

Wholesale sports does too I think...

pick a few that people suggest and read some reviews, then go test cast them at Fish Tales.
Cheers. Thanks guys.
I've got some ideas to go on now.
I've thrown up a wtb ad here, maybe able to trade some of my stuff for a good set up and save some cash.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 AM

I recently bought a TFO bvk at fish tales & I like it better than my sage. It cost a little less to.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskip View Post
I recently bought a TFO bvk at fish tales & I like it better than my sage. It cost a little less to.
Looks a nice rod. The 5 piece would be nice for travel too.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Gone Fishing

I have 2 TFO`s (but they are 2 piece) and I highly recommend them as a quality rod with good service available if you happen to break one by shutting it in the trailer door (like I did) they have blanks to replace.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I just picked up a TFO 4-piece yesterday at Wholesale (calgary) in Calgary. $230 on sale for $160. Guy named Jeff was really helpful there, picked out a bunch of flies for what I figured I'd be doing, gave me a list of books to learn about flies, showed me some knots as well. Haven't gotten it out yet but I will this weekend.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Banned

well i went to wholesale yesterday and iron bow today. wholesale was the typical service you get there, basically none. the 3 guys in the fly section chatted amongst themselves and then all got up and went into the staff area and never came back.

iron bow is a great shop. he sorted me out with a selection of flies suitable for my area. i didn't know it existed until i was googling for lessons in the cochrane area.

i know where ill be shopping for my fishing needs from now on. even better that its on my side of the city so i don't have to go far into calgary which i hate at the best of times.

I've got a TFO NXT package I'm using for right now, and once i figure out what I'm doing ill look to buy my own set up. it seems ok, and will do me until i buy my own.

in iron bow he was showing me the 3 tand reels. they look really nice. and a lot of sage rods. there was one, the older version of the new method i really liked the look of and was 25% off. he said it was a very fast action. might be a bit overkill for me, but i normally take the view of buy the good stuff from the start and keep it for life. but ill see how i get on after a lesson and some practice.

cheers guys.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM

True. I first went into the fly shop when I got to Wholesale. Didn't get much help until I asked, and then it was still thin. Asked if the NXT I was looking at was on sale (like the website said), and he said "No, the website is a totally different deal". Went and picked up some new boots and went back to the fly shop, and then this guy Jeff was actually very helpful.

I go to wholesale quite a bit but I usually know what I'm looking for beforehand. In this case, this Jeff guy was very helpful. If he hadn't helped me I probably would have went to a smaller shop. Showed me the rod/reel was on sale too. There are a few helpful guys there, but not the standard there....
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
well i went to wholesale yesterday and iron bow today. wholesale was the typical service you get there, basically none. the 3 guys in the fly section chatted amongst themselves and then all got up and went into the staff area and never came back.

iron bow is a great shop. he sorted me out with a selection of flies suitable for my area. i didn't know it existed until i was googling for lessons in the cochrane area.

i know where ill be shopping for my fishing needs from now on. even better that its on my side of the city so i don't have to go far into calgary which i hate at the best of times.

I've got a TFO NXT package I'm using for right now, and once i figure out what I'm doing ill look to buy my own set up. it seems ok, and will do me until i buy my own.

in iron bow he was showing me the 3 tand reels. they look really nice. and a lot of sage rods. there was one, the older version of the new method i really liked the look of and was 25% off. he said it was a very fast action. might be a bit overkill for me, but i normally take the view of buy the good stuff from the start and keep it for life. but ill see how i get on after a lesson and some practice.

cheers guys.
Your assessment is exactly how I would have recommended solving the problem with a floating budget.
1. Get serviceable gear
2. Get some lessons
3. Practice.
4. Make an investment into quality gear when you know what you like.

I stay mum on these threads now. It does not take very long to learn how to appreciate quality gear and I feel that I have become somewhat elitist. Keep your eye on Kijiji---nice stuff pops up there all the time.

As well, supporting a local fly shop is a just a good way to support your community, but with your business, you also pay for a little information about the area and get professional insight.

Welcome to the addiction.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Cabela's L-Tech fly rod...I was given one from a buddy who is a pro-staffer in Montana and it is frickin amazing for the money, I think there around $250. Fast action easy to cast and very light, really nice rod I've been using it all summer!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 PM

Agree about Iron Bow comments. Best service I've had in a long time.

But if you need a package and lessons, check out the Boot Camp offered by Hanson's. For $200 you get a rod, reel, line and a day's lesson. Extra $40 gets you the rod case. The equipment is pretty darn good. The lesson portion is pretty brief, but it will get you started.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM

I would also look into Pieroway fly rods, I've owned one for 5 years and it is spectacular. They are also locally made.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM

X3 on the iron bow comments. Very knowledgeable and generous with their knowledge.

The 3tand reels are beauty. Great place to start.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM

does this mean you're no longer offering that CZ for a trade for fly gear?

never been into iron bow but I've always wanted to look. Saw those 3-tands at the fly expo and just about bought one for my 3wt

Old 07-31-2014, 06:42 PM

Default That TFO Nxt.

When I got into fly fishing about a year and a half ago I bought a Cabela's L-Tech 6 weight, with a Lamson Waterworks Konic reel.

Nice rod but after using it lots I felt like in most cases it was a bit to much rod. The reel is gorgeous, the price and the quality are matched by none.

so I picked up a 4weight 4piece TFO NXT, with their little reel too.
When I cast that rod I instantly got a huge smile on my face and I've barely picked up my L-Tech since then. I did go out and buy a 2.5 Lamson Konic reel for it though as I just loved this reel on my Cabelas rod, I can't say enough good about it.

The TFO, from what I heard is preferred over some rods costing double or even triple and by big name brands as well, so if you want a good set up that comes ready to go with leader already tied on, get yourself a TFO Nxt set up.
I strongly doubt you will be disappointed. Very very strongly doubt.