Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Boat Launch Etiquette ?

So I just got a new boat, and with the long weekend the launch was busy yesterday. I have little experience at busy launches, but I don't think I was in the wrong.

I docked my boat and was backing my truck up, but I wasn't at the launch yet. But, if you looked you could clearly see I was straightening my trailer so I could back up to the launch.

That's when another small boat pulls up and lands his boat right beside the launch. I could watch him doing it in my mirrors, so that tells you where I was at the launch.

Everyone gets out and one guy walks up to get his truck and looks really ****ed at me that I am backing up. He clearly thought he was next and I was jumping the line.

So, who was right?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:22 AM

The launch rarely brings out the best in folks!!

It's hard to tell from your story who is right, never again will I give advice "at the launch", but then again I find that folks rarely ask for help, rarely stop yelling at the other party backing up the trailer or driving the boat, keep the little ones quiet and out of harms way, rarely judge the wind current well etc.

Once you watch an expert team do it sometimes the light goes on, the guys in Florida are experts!.

My team uses separate bow and stern ropes, I find they help in windy conditions. Also when launching by myself, I use the anchors to secure the boat off to the side of the launch until I can get back from parking trailer n tow vehicle. Bumpers out etc. all the stuff in the boat.

Sorry for the mild rant, I am far from an expert on this topic!!
Old 05-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Your already backing to the ramp. Your first he’s next.

Dodger.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:31 AM

No rules. Every man for himself. Only the strong survive.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Next in line is determined by trailer and tow veh. Park the boat and get your veh. And trailer in the line up....not wait in boat then dock, then go get the trailer....so as you tell it, yep, he was wrong. As mentioned the launch always has some retards with stupid ideas or no clue what so ever....just do what you can and dont forget the hand brake, or the plug....or the stern straps, or a quick run up in the driveway befor you leave to make sure your boat will start! Been lots of guys who just showed up at the dock and tried to start the motor first time all winter with a line up of people behind them and spend an hour trying to get it running......
Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Your already backing to the ramp. Your first he’s next.

Dodger.
This^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Next in line is determined by trailer and tow veh. Park the boat and get your veh. And trailer in the line up....not wait in boat then dock, then go get the trailer....so as you tell it, yep, he was wrong. As mentioned the launch always has some retards with stupid ideas or no clue what so ever....just do what you can and dont forget the hand brake, or the plug....or the stern straps, or a quick run up in the driveway befor you leave to make sure your boat will start! Been lots of guys who just showed up at the dock and tried to start the motor first time all winter with a line up of people behind them and spend an hour trying to get it running......
And this ^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't think I was wrong.

His whole group looked sour while we were loading, but it sure felt to me like they were jumping the line, not me.

I wasn't at the launch, but was backing up to the launch and my buddy was holding my boat by the rope at the dock. We were doing our part to be efficient.

New boat, so there is a learning curve.... I admit that. But I thought he was being a jerk, not me.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 PM

He has likely fished there for 30 years, everyone else knows that when he and his gang pull up to the dock everyone else has to get out of his way, or incur his miserable stares.

Some people are just knobs. Give him a huge smile and a wave, ask him how fishing was, and offer him a coke for being such a peach.

Your boat was there and you were backing the truck down. You were not at all in the wrong. Tell him to pizz up a rope.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Thanks guys, I didn't think I was wrong.

His whole group looked sour while we were loading, but it sure felt to me like they were jumping the line, not me.

I wasn't at the launch, but was backing up to the launch and my buddy was holding my boat by the rope at the dock. We were doing our part to be efficient.

New boat, so there is a learning curve.... I admit that. But I thought he was being a jerk, not me.
Just so long as you aren't the guy backing down the middle of a double launch.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Just so long as you aren't the guy backing down the middle of a double launch.
Or do what this guy does! https://youtu.be/2oq0YNo02KM
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM

You’re here and you’re asking, so that’s a huge positive. A couple questions -

Were you struggling to back up your trailer properly and taking a long time trying to get it straight?

Were your taking up an entire 2 lane launch to get your trailer in?

I’m not saying the guy was right, but both of those things will annoy a boat launch veteran. If the guy’s impatient/rude enough, then what you’re describing can happen.

If you’re still learning to back up a trailer, a busy boat launch is NOT the place you want to be practicing. It’ll stress you out and annoy the other boaters.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:58 AM

If 2 of us are fishing, which is the norm. We get everything loaded and ready before the boat touches the water or gets close to the ramp. Then we'll dump the boat in and while the truck & trailer are getting parked, we'll move the boat away from the ramp area and let it warm up. When the trucker gets back to launch, buzz in grab him and get the heck out of everyone's way.

Basically, the same operation in reverse when loading. Just be organized so you don't have to rush which usually is when things get messed up.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
You’re here and you’re asking, so that’s a huge positive. A couple questions -

Were you struggling to back up your trailer properly and taking a long time trying to get it straight?

Were your taking up an entire 2 lane launch to get your trailer in?

I’m not saying the guy was right, but both of those things will annoy a boat launch veteran. If the guy’s impatient/rude enough, then what you’re describing can happen.

If you’re still learning to back up a trailer, a busy boat launch is NOT the place you want to be practicing. It’ll stress you out and annoy the other boaters.
No sir

It was a single trailer launch and I am a country boy. Backing up a boat trailer is an easy task
Old 05-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Does anyone remember when we used to help each other at the boat launch?

Hold a rope, guide a trailer in, lend a helping hand. Pulled clear of the ramp to remove the drain and install the rear tie down straps. It was a much less stressful experience.

Last summer at the Laurier launch on the NSR I was there with the dog. River was high and fast. A fellow by himself putting his jet boat in seemed to be having issues. I asked if I could lend a hand. He told me it wasn’t his first rodeo then slipped off his trailer and his boat ended up on the rocks. Hurt himself pretty good. Caught a bolt on his shin and had a pretty good cut. He didn’t mind a hand after that. Together we loaded the boat and he left without so much as a thanks.

BW
Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 AM

If there is two people or more in your party, your truck should never be in park. Reverse and drive all done in in about 20 seconds to launch. Same goes for loading up. Should be seamless transition.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
If there is two people or more in your party, your truck should never be in park. Reverse and drive all done in in about 20 seconds to launch. Same goes for loading up. Should be seamless transition.
That assumes I am ok with my clumsy friends backing up my truck/trailer. Did I mention my clumsy friends are clumsy?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
No rules. Every man for himself. Only the strong survive.
This is exactly why there are problems at a boat launch. No respect, and a total sense of entitlement, people who think their time is more important than anyone else’s. A good recipe to have ones vehicle vandalized while they’re out on the lake making wakes.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

This is exactly why there are problems at a boat launch. No respect, and a total sense of entitlement, people who think their time is more important than anyone else’s. A good recipe to have ones vehicle vandalized while they’re out on the lake making wakes.

You couldn’t tell I was joking?

Anyways yeah my actual belief is that whoever is coming down the ramp has first crack at loading. It wouldn’t make sense for you to wait for him to go get setup just because he beached closer.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Launch and load in the order that vehicles are lined up.

Beach your boat or tie to the dock ( away from the launching area ) or drop off your driver. Go get your vehicle. Get to the back of the line. Wait your turn.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
You couldn’t tell I was joking?

Anyways yeah my actual belief is that whoever is coming down the ramp has first crack at loading. It wouldn’t make sense for you to wait for him to go get setup just because he beached closer.
I knew you were speaking tongue in cheek, but the reality is that some people act this way.

As busy as Cold lake launch gets, and I’ve literally watched one guy take up both ramps for 45min with a $140k boat and a $100k truck in what I can only describe as the most pathetic attempt of loading a boat I have ever witnessed in my entire life, clearly there were quite a few frustrated onlookers, but cool heads prevailed and nobody got ignorant. I have seen patients lost and tempers flare at pigeon and gull on a few occasions. I’m not sure if it’s location or luck that things worked out the way they did, but people seemed more accepting in northern lakes.

I’ve been backing up trailers since I was 16 and respect the unwritten first come first serve rule of boat launches so I’ve never experienced any altercations at the launch.

Have your boat ready before you pull in to the launch lane, have your boat loaded, plug in, straps undone, bow line handy, and a plan for when your boat hits the water so your time at the launch is minimized, this will be appreciated by everyone. If you see someone struggling at the launch, have patience, offer assistance, and remember launching a boat actually can be rocket science for some.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
No sir

It was a single trailer launch and I am a country boy. Backing up a boat trailer is an easy task
Excellent. I sure wish that was true of everyone.

I was just playing “devils advocate” and looking for a reason the guy was being a jerk. Looks like he didn’t have one...
Old 05-23-2019, 11:51 AM

It can be stressful, and that can lead to rushing, and that can lead to mistakes.

One time I forgot the plug, not the end of the world, head the bilge pump kick on and I realized it right away and jumped overboard and plugged it in.

One time I thought I forgot my key but was really just rushed and forgot where I had put it.

One thing we started doing a certain lakes is paying the boat launch fees vs using the free ones. Wabamun can easily be a 1h launch and 1h retrieval or a $20 fee and no lines. its much less stressful to pay the $20.

Also creating a checklist really helped me. I laminated it and have a pre leaving home checklist, a launch checklist, and a retrieval checklist.

here is mine, anyone wants to add anything please do, Im new to this as well.

PRE-TRIP LIST
-Fuel up
-Batteries check fluid and charge
-Check oil
-Do a run up
-Check tire pressure
-Check remote batteries
-Check life jackets
-Load rods and tackle
-Confirm boat key
-Confirm you have both remotes

LAUNCHING LIST
PRE LAUNCH
-Remove/stow cover and poles in truck
-Anything anyone wants to bring goes in the boat now
-Wallet in boat (fishing & boating licence)
-Everyone's life jackets out of the boat and on their person
-Remove stern tie downs
-Insert drain plug
-Remove rods from locker and stow in vertical holders
-Put out buoys
-Get retrieval rope ready
-Mount trolling motor
-Plug in trolling motor cables (power, foot pedal, iPilot link)
-Reset all 3 power breakers
-Get life jacket on
-Key in ignition
LAUNCH
-Hummingbird on
-Unplug trailer wiring
-Wind both Windows all the way down
-Backup trailer until it is in the water
-Unclip safety strap on bow
-Push boat off
-Wife pulls boat over to dock/shore and secures
-Park truck

-All rods in vertical positions
-All individuals in their seats
-Wife upfront
-Turn fuel pump off
-Turn motor off
-Turn off huminbird
-Buoys out
-Raise leg as much as you can
-Coast beside dock, hop off and secure boat
-Everyone out
-Back trailer into water until back rollers submerged
-Unwind winch strap to back of trailer
-Pull boat in
-Clip on winch and winch boat onto trailer
-Hookup safety bow chain
-Drive to staging area
-Plug trailer wiring back in
-Test lights
-Remove drain plug
-Attach stern tie downs
-Turn off all 3 breakers
-Store both remotes
-Store buoys
-Store retrieval rope
-Store lifejackets
-Stow rods
-Place cover back on
Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 PM

When coming in I normally yield to those heading out. (I know how eager I am to get fishing). My wife actually backed up a dually with a camper and boat trailer on it for a couple of guys that were struggling in the waves as a storm set in .
Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by updatelee View Post

Also creating a checklist really helped me. I laminated it and have a pre leaving home checklist, a launch checklist, and a retrieval checklist.

Thanks for the check list
Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Or do what this guy does! https://youtu.be/2oq0YNo02KM
Haha best every was waiting for that. Great checklist. Very detailed. My cabin in B.C. is across the street from the boat launch and dock. Long weekends when guests come from AB is often interesting. I would say you were in the right here.

Just about everyone has forgotten a plug or forgotten to undo transom straps. After many launchings and retrievals one thing I remembered that used to get me was putting the trailer in too deep and having trouble getting the boat to sit right on the bunks. Less deep is often better.

Have fun boating this summer!!

Alba gu brath!

Last edited by Ceilidh69; 05-24-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by updatelee View Post
It can be stressful, and that can lead to rushing, and that can lead to mistakes.

One time I forgot the plug, not the end of the world, head the bilge pump kick on and I realized it right away and jumped overboard and plugged it in.

One time I thought I forgot my key but was really just rushed and forgot where I had put it.

One thing we started doing a certain lakes is paying the boat launch fees vs using the free ones. Wabamun can easily be a 1h launch and 1h retrieval or a $20 fee and no lines. its much less stressful to pay the $20.

PRE-TRIP LIST
-Fuel up
-Batteries check fluid and charge
-Check oil
-Do a run up
-Check tire pressure
-Check remote batteries
-Check life jackets
-Load rods and tackle
-Confirm boat key
-Confirm you have both remotes

LAUNCHING LIST
PRE LAUNCH
-Remove/stow cover and poles in truck
-Anything anyone wants to bring goes in the boat now
-Wallet in boat (fishing & boating licence)
-Everyone's life jackets out of the boat and on their person
-Remove stern tie downs
-Insert drain plug
-Remove rods from locker and stow in vertical holders
-Put out buoys
-Get retrieval rope ready
-Mount trolling motor
-Plug in trolling motor cables (power, foot pedal, iPilot link)
-Reset all 3 power breakers
-Get life jacket on
-Key in ignition
LAUNCH
-Hummingbird on
-Unplug trailer wiring
-Wind both Windows all the way down
-Backup trailer until it is in the water
-Unclip safety strap on bow
-Push boat off
-Wife pulls boat over to dock/shore and secures
-Park truck

-All rods in vertical positions
-All individuals in their seats
-Wife upfront
-Turn fuel pump off
-Turn motor off
-Turn off huminbird
-Buoys out
-Raise leg as much as you can
-Coast beside dock, hop off and secure boat
-Everyone out
-Back trailer into water until back rollers submerged
-Unwind winch strap to back of trailer
-Pull boat in
-Clip on winch and winch boat onto trailer
-Hookup safety bow chain
-Drive to staging area
-Plug trailer wiring back in
-Test lights
-Remove drain plug
-Attach stern tie downs
-Turn off all 3 breakers
-Store both remotes
-Store buoys
-Store retrieval rope
-Store lifejackets
-Stow rods
-Place cover back on
Thats awesome. I would like to engrave this list for you!! seriously, i engraved a small checklist near the ignition of my boat. Starting with "DID YOU PUT THE PLUG IN BOAT"
Old 05-26-2019, 08:54 AM

It’s amazing how some people will just sit there and watch someone struggle and get pi$$ed off and give them dirty looks. Get off your high horse and offer some help. Last year the water level was low at the lake we were at in Sask. An older couple had launched their pontoon boat but had backed in too far and the trailer tires had gone over the edge of the concrete ramp boat was already off trailer. I pulled in and there were 4 others in line ahead of me sitting there watching this 65 year old couple with there truck in 4 wheel drive trying to get the trailer out without pulling it into 2 pieces. As soon as I pulled in I hoped out of the truck walked past 4 other yuppies sitting in their trucks cursing and swearing and shaking there heads I talked to the frustrated older gentleman and had him back the trailer up a foot or so to get away from the concrete lip. I waded into the water up to my waist and lifted the trailer by myself the buoyancy factor was in my favour the trailer basically floated once I lifted. He drove forward and away he went. Husband and Wife thanked me and offered me $20. I refused the money of course. I hope those other yuppies in their trucks realized they were a bunch of jerks after watching how easy it was.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 AM

Never a bad thing to offer a hand. It works both ways in my mind. It's just the right thing to do. A simple gesture can make life easier for everyone.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
It’s amazing how some people will just sit there and watch someone struggle and get pi$$ed off and give them dirty looks. Get off your high horse and offer some help. Last year the water level was low at the lake we were at in Sask. An older couple had launched their pontoon boat but had backed in too far and the trailer tires had gone over the edge of the concrete ramp boat was already off trailer. I pulled in and there were 4 others in line ahead of me sitting there watching this 65 year old couple with there truck in 4 wheel drive trying to get the trailer out without pulling it into 2 pieces. As soon as I pulled in I hoped out of the truck walked past 4 other yuppies sitting in their trucks cursing and swearing and shaking there heads I talked to the frustrated older gentleman and had him back the trailer up a foot or so to get away from the concrete lip. I waded into the water up to my waist and lifted the trailer by myself the buoyancy factor was in my favour the trailer basically floated once I lifted. He drove forward and away he went. Husband and Wife thanked me and offered me $20. I refused the money of course. I hope those other yuppies in their trucks realized they were a bunch of jerks after watching how easy it was.

Everyone should read this^^^ and take heed. Help a guy or girl out, instead of complaining, who know's maybe its a person's first day with the boat, or its borrowed and theyre terrified of wrecking something, whatever, if people need a little help dont sit and whine, help out, it'll be faster, someone including you might learn something, and you might make a friend.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrfish View Post
Never a bad thing to offer a hand. It works both ways in my mind. It's just the right thing to do. A simple gesture can make life easier for everyone.
Absolutely! Worst thing that can happen is they refuse.