Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Yes. Exactly as above. Unless posted no shooting do not let them bully you off.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Absolutely not! Crown land is good to go for shooting. Just make sure it’s safe.
I went shooting a few years ago with a newbie friends on a crown land. There were some houses a mile or so away. We were shooting in an opposite directions from the houses. Regardless, one of the residents decided to show up and bully us to stop shooting because he didn’t want to hear the noise all day long. We told him that we are only here for an hour or so. He insisted that we have to leave. I told him to bugger of.
When I got home, my house phone rang. I answered and there was an RCMP officer on a line asking if it was me shooting - my car was parked on a road so he got the plate number. I said yes, is there a problem? He said absolutely not, he just had a complaint from one of the locals. He said that he actually drove to our location but decided not to bother us since we were not breaking any rules. He actually even thanked me for picking up all the brass and not leaving any garbage behind.
So as long as you are 200 meters away from the road, on a crown land and shooting in a safe direction - you are good to go.
All the crown land around and you set up one mile from someone's house?? That's ridiculous and selfish. A rifle report one mile away is really loud. What if they have kids running around the yard. They have to listen to your blasting all afternoon. If shooters are having issues with the law it's because of guys like you!!!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Holy crap pal, take a pill or you gonna have a heart attack! The rifle is really loud a mile away thru the dense woods? Are you kidding me?! What are you running on- steroids? And speaking of the safety- we drove around the whole area to make sure that we are shooting in a safe direction away from houses or roads.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
All the crown land around and you set up one mile from someone's house?? That's ridiculous and selfish. A rifle report one mile away is really loud. What if they have kids running around the yard. They have to listen to your blasting all afternoon. If shooters are having issues with the law it's because of guys like you!!!
Wow.......
Old 05-24-2019, 05:39 PM

I'm glad it got cleared up. I was so sure it was the angry RCMP/police chick not knowing her **** and just trying to lie enough to get shooting to stop on crown land. I wasnt there for the conversation but didnt want to call the guy an idiot for buying into the bull**** he was fed when he was just trying to help. This wasnt at the big clearing where everyone shoots in waiporous either. it's a little out of the way spot with a nice hill for a backdrop. The 8km marker clearing where everyone usually shoots just got too unsafe for me. guys checking their rifles when i'm setting the targets and even shooting. I know McClean creek was restricted a bit to make it safer. I havent shot there in years.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:47 PM

on another note, I had a cop tell me it was extremely unsafe to shoot clays with the shotgun off that big ridge that lets you overlook the river valley far below. He told us to shut it down and that he was furious with us. I remember being told this was one of the safe ways to discharge a shotgun in the PAL course years ago. This is a big ridge with a crazy drop down to the valley floor. and we are shooting out at the clays. thoughts?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:54 PM

That leo was very likely wrong in telling you that it was not legal to shoot from the ridge BUT who climbed down the ridge averlooking that beautiful valley to retreave those lovely bright orange pieces of clays that are broken all over the crown land. Very unsightly and that may have been the reason the cop told you to shut it down. How many places have been shut down to shooting for garbage ( broken clays ) left all over. Food for thought.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
Someone has a house next to public land and expects all public to not do any activities that might be heard by the resident? How much public land around a person's house do you think they own? ridiculous and selfish

Learn to live with other people around or move to an underground shelter

Last edited by Nyksta; 05-24-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Police officers have a difficult job and handle many different calls unfortunately they don’t always know everything about the laws they are enforcing and mistakes are made that’s why we have a courts system. Shot fired from a 12ga can travel quite some ways before it fall back to the ground and if you are in the area where it falls it sounds like hail it happened to me a few times and it was a bit unnerving the first time. In my case the shot had traveled to far and it was to light to do and damage to anything other than make noise. Be safe out there know the rules front to back and don’t be afraid to let people know they may need to brush up on there information the uninformed/clueless don’t know anything other than Hollywood and urban myths there scared when they come across an outdoorsman with a rifle in the Bush.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Someone has a house next to public land and expects all public to not do any activities that might be heard by the resident? How much public land around a person's house do you think they own? ridiculous and selfish
It's about being courteous towards others. When I started out shooting I set up in a area to close to a house and the owner didn't take to kindly to it. I got the hint and moved on. Never came back.

I have to drive a ways to my regular shooting spot, but I'm no where near a occupied residence and I never have any issues.....it's a miracle right.

It's about casting shooting sports in a positive light. Drive a little farther, don't bother anybody and enjoy.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Learn to live with other people around or move to an underground shelter
What can happen if people continue to target shoot in the vicinity of homes, is that homeowners complain to the county/municipality. Then the county/municipality can pass a bylaw outlawing target shooting on public land. They have even been known to shut down an approved shooting range located on private property. There used to be a range near Spruce Grove.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What can happen if people continue to target shoot in the vicinity of homes, is that homeowners complain to the county/municipality. Then the county/municipality can pass a bylaw outlawing target shooting on public land. They have even been known to shut down an approved shooting range located on private property. There used to be a range near Spruce Grove.
Theres no way for us on this forum to say where it is respectful or disrespectful to shoot on crown land. Every location and time is different. Public land is for public use. Everyone needs to be courteous both ways.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Theres no way for us on this forum to say where it is respectful or disrespectful to shoot on crown land. Every location and time is different. Public land is for public use. Everyone needs to be courteous both ways.
It doesn't matter whether the land is public or not, if the county/municipality receives enough complaints from their taxpayers, they will shut down shooting on public land. If it comes down to the landowners or visitors, the landowners will win, because they elect the people that pass the bylaws.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the land is public or not, if the county/municipality receives enough complaints from their taxpayers, they will shut down shooting on public land. If it comes down to the landowners or visitors, the landowners will win, because they elect the people that pass the bylaws.
Do you know of any other instances of this happening other than Spruce Grove?
Old 05-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Have you ever lived in the country and been sitting on your deck enjoying the day when you hear gun shots? How are you supposed to know what direction the idiots are shooting? A mile isn't very far for a center fire rifle to be heard sometimes. But carry on because it's "your" land and you have a "right" to shoot when ever and wherever you want, Courtesy and respect is a two way street
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Have you ever lived in the country and been sitting on your deck enjoying the day when you hear gun shots? How are you supposed to know what direction the idiots are shooting? A mile isn't very far for a center fire rifle to be heard sometimes. But carry on because it's "your" land and you have a "right" to shoot when ever and wherever you want, Courtesy and respect is a two way street
“Courtesy and respect” both are in short supply in Alberta anymore.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
“Courtesy and respect” both are in short supply in Alberta anymore.
Agreed....very obvious from some comments on this thread
Old 05-25-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Strathcona, Parkland, Camrose and Rocky View counties have bylaws that limit the discharge of firearms. There may be more, but those are four that I know of.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Strathcona, Parkland, Camrose and Rocky View counties have bylaws that limit the discharge of firearms. There may be more, but those are four that I know of.
There will be more as time goes on....

Comments in this thread prove it. People are selfish and stupid.

It’s crown land, it’s for everyone to use, screw everyone else if they don’t like it, blah, blah, blah...
Old 05-25-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post

It’s crown land, it’s for everyone to use, screw everyone else if they don’t like it, blah, blah, blah...
Havent seen any comments on this whole thread where anyone said "It’s crown land, it’s for everyone to use, screw everyone else if they don’t like it, blah, blah, blah... "

I posted a comment about courtesy needs to go both ways. People living next to public land need to have courtesy to allow public to use the public land that they decided to live next to, and the public needs to have courtesy when using a location next to a neighboring residence. There was no "screw everyone else if they dont like it". Sharing, respect, patience, consideration, safety, all the other things you'd like to include. Some people are rude and others are overly sensitive. Both need to wake up that there's a lot of people in this province, and expecting to never have our lives bump into eachother is a fantasy. Respect needs to go both ways.

Last edited by Nyksta; 05-25-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post

Even private land is not exempt, all three ranges that I currently belong too have restrictions as to when firearms may be discharged, one range is closed until 10am on Sundays, and another one is noon Sunday.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
That leo was very likely wrong in telling you that it was not legal to shoot from the ridge BUT who climbed down the ridge averlooking that beautiful valley to retreave those lovely bright orange pieces of clays that are broken all over the crown land. Very unsightly and that may have been the reason the cop told you to shut it down. How many places have been shut down to shooting for garbage ( broken clays ) left all over. Food for thought.
broken clays aren't the problem. they are designed to break down quickly. the little bit of orange paint might be unsightly for a bit. they are made from powdered dolomite/limestone/chalk. these are geological minerals. 'powdered rock' The lead has a much bigger impact on the environment if you want to complain about something. or even the empty hulls some leave behind.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
broken clays aren't the problem. they are designed to break down quickly. the little bit of orange paint might be unsightly for a bit. they are made from powdered dolomite/limestone/chalk. these are geological minerals. 'powdered rock' The lead has a much bigger impact on the environment if you want to complain about something. or even the empty hulls some leave behind.
Actually the clay targets can take years to break down. Even the bio targets are only expected to break down 95% in two years, and only then if there is adequate rain.

https://whiteflyer.com/targets/

Quote:
All White Flyer Bio targets will biodegrade at least 95% within two years, depending on rainfall or contact with moisture into elements found in nature.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 PM

95% is pretty good in 2 years. what did you expect? instant? after a winter they are pretty broken down with the snow melt.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
95% is pretty good in 2 years. what did you expect? instant? after a winter they are pretty broken down with the snow melt.
That is for their special biodegradeable targets, which are specifically made to break down much quicker, the regular targets that most people purchase, take much longer to break down.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:58 PM

Here is the McLean Creek map that clear shows the legal zone which is more then 200m. https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docume...renced-map.pdf
Old 05-25-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I was not aware of those area bylaws. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Timmies cups break down too, still pizzes me off to see them. In my mind people that leave the mess you are describing should be charged with littering.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Timmies cups break down too, still pizzes me off to see them. In my mind people that leave the mess you are describing should be charged with littering.
in your mind people that leave broken clays should be charged with littering?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:34 PM

All I know in 45 years of hunting is that there's more slobs and litters now than there ever was ,clean up your friggin mess.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk