Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Tobin Lake - Here we go again!

Hey boys (and girls), I'm posting my annual Tobin Lake info request thread once again. This will be my third year heading to Tobin but only my second in the spring. Any tips or advice is much appreciated as i'm sure there as some that have far more expertise on this lake than I do. I am still hunting to join the elusive 30" ot 10lb walleye club and although i've been close a few times, nothing quite that size yet. I finally feel after a couple trips I am getting the lay of the lake and how the watershed works over there but as I say, still open and happy to accept any tips. Heading up there May 30th. PLEASE fire away!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Never fished Tobin, but throw a minnow on the bottom of the SSR, Bow, or Red Deer River in September and you'll have a good crack at 30in/10lb
Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Fish the river. Linde rig ,leech and boat control !!!
Have had luck pulling cranks on the west end of river. Lots of snags though!!
If you fish the lake. vertical jig , pull bottom bouncer or pull cranks ( catch your 20lb-30lb pike too!!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Some of the locals say coddette is where it’s at.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbok View Post
Fish the river. Linde rig ,leech and boat control !!!
Have had luck pulling cranks on the west end of river. Lots of snags though!!
If you fish the lake. vertical jig , pull bottom bouncer or pull cranks ( catch your 20lb-30lb pike too!!
From my experience the big girls have moved out of the river already, lots of dinks there though. I know what you mean about the snags, its ridiculous, and its why I hate pulling 15 dollar cranks there. Where on the main lake have you found most success? thanks for the info!
Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM

Default Pike

I don't know about walleye in early season. The 2 times I fished there at this time of year, we were targeting pike. Got some huge ones in very shallow water. Best spot of all was down in the large shallow bay on south side of the lake, near the lower dam. We cast various hardware into a ditch beside a flooded former road (you can find it by where the unflooded end enters the water at the west side) - boat was in 2 feet of water, ditch was 5-6 feet. Just full of pike with some in the 40"+ category. A couple of shallow swampy bays on the north side at the same end also had lots of large pike, with some sight casting in the sandy areas.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 PM

You can try Elk Island, we have caught some 30’s pulling leeches. The common spots near the resort will produce if you put some time in. Prudens Point always has a few big girls swimming around.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
You can try Elk Island, we have caught some 30’s pulling leeches. The common spots near the resort will produce if you put some time in. Prudens Point always has a few big girls swimming around.
Thanks! Those are money spots for sure, Elk island is probably my favourite main lake area. My cousin had a big one on the line at Prudens last year, had been fishing all morning with no bites and suddenly he hooked a monster. 10 feet from the boat his knot slipped off the bouncer and she was gone along with the rig. I had him tying his own knots as a means for him to learn on his own...Painful mistake.