Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Default Supplemental trout feed

We bought some of Cargill’s EWOS Pacific Growth floating pellet feed and was surprised that even browns, brooks and rainbow stocked 1.5 years ago were on it fast. Brookies will line up and slurp them in deliberate succession. Browns swim up at a steady speed and turn on them making a minimal splash and rainbows power through them.

I am noticing a definite size increase in these trout as the brooks are getting longer and fatter.

I want the browns to get a jump on size so as to get big enough to eat perch.

With perch in our lake it is good to see feeding can help to maintain or grow and I can only image how big these trout could grow without perch.

It is so cool taking a container of pellets down and watch the trout come up.

Who else is feeding trout?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 PM

I also use the EWOS pellets and can vouch for it too, but it's getting pricey at $75 a bag. Having a good habitat for the baitfish and freshwater shrimp to hide out and reproduce sure cuts down the cost of feed.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Where are you finding the pellets? A land owner I know is having one hell of a time finding food for his trout and doesn't think he will have enough for the year. I would love to send a few bags his way.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Smoky trout farm out of Red Deer or Ackenberry trout farm out of Camrose area.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
Smoky trout farm out of Red Deer or Ackenberry trout farm out of Camrose area.
X2...Max at Smoky is an awesome guy. If you buy bulk you can save. If you can pick it up yourself you save also.

I like the Ackenberry folks also. Never got food from them.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 05-17-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
I also use the EWOS pellets and can vouch for it too, but it's getting pricey at $75 a bag. Having a good habitat for the baitfish and freshwater shrimp to hide out and reproduce sure cuts down the cost of feed.
Agreed. In a perfect situation you have plenty of food in your pond or lake. However if your stocking rates are too high to sustain growth with available food then you must supplemental feed in order to continue with growth rates.

From what I can tell this food is very high quality and nutritional value. I suspect while more money they put on more weight due to the calories per pellet.

I would worry a cheaper pellet has more filler and less calories so the fish eats more to grow the same versus on EWOS pellets.

In a small pond that could translate to more fecal matter and less clean water.

Still I feel you can never over feed. Only feed as much as the fish will eat.

I had more than a few greedy brookies swimming along the surface slurping one pellet after another. One at 10 pellets in a row before another trout saw food there and jumped into the buffet line.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:35 PM

Would it be legal to take this trout food to a stocked lake I wonder?

My feeling is you feel better knowing there are trout there at the same time as you feed pellets the trout may turn off the fly you are tossing.

May be worth it to just know if you are wasting your time fishing if nothing in a stocked lake came to the surface to eat a pellet.

I wonder if a wild trout would eat it and taste it as yummy and come back for more?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:40 PM

You could feed the fish as long as your not fishing for them. That would be considered chumming. Works great at Diefenbaker, so I heard.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
You could feed the fish as long as your not fishing for them. That would be considered chumming. Works great at Diefenbaker, so I heard.
Great point. Totally makes sense.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 AM

I feed the 5mm Ewos and see really good growth.

Some of my 7-9” brookies stocked last June are now 12-13”. I have a few rainbows over 20lb that we’re stocked at the same size 4.5yrs ago.

I start feeding the 1st week of May and stop usually at the end but October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 AM

Bought EWOS bags from UFA Fort Sask this spring on sale for $35 a bag, which was half of the regular price. Probably the previous years stock but fish still love it.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
Bought EWOS bags from UFA Fort Sask this spring on sale for $35 a bag, which was half of the regular price. Probably the previous years stock but fish still love it.
Which type of EWOS. Pacific Growth seems like a winner. There brookies are noticeably bigger after a month.

The hatchery we get rainbows from see rainbows go from 6-8 inch in the early spring to 14-16 inch by October. So over an inch growth a month.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
I feed the 5mm Ewos and see really good growth.

Some of my 7-9” brookies stocked last June are now 12-13”. I have a few rainbows over 20lb that we’re stocked at the same size 4.5yrs ago.

I start feeding the 1st week of May and stop usually at the end but October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow.

A lake of those would be awesome! How big is the brookie and rainbow?