Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 02:17 AM

Question Bowtech Carbon Icon - experience

Hey there fellow AO's. So two years ago I had a chance to purchase a new Hoyt. I was most intrigued by the light weight and ease of hold, draw and carry.
I suffer from two separate incident shoulder injuries both L&R and this bow by far has been a big improvement compared to my previous bows (PSE, Mathews, Hoyt)
I've destroyed my 3D target and bag but have yet to get a chance to actually take out in the bush.
This fall will be my first crack and I will be taking full advantage of some well deserved time off.
So are there any archers out there who have experience hunting with this bow and would care to give a review?
Thanks and I look forward to your replies.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:12 AM

Carbon Icon is a Bowtech bow model.

LC
Old 04-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Carbon Icon is a Bowtech bow model.

LC
Haha. And that's what lack of sleep does
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 AM

Red face Bowtech Carbon Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Hey there fellow AO's. So two years ago I had a chance to purchase a new Bowtech. I was most intrigued by the light weight and ease of hold, draw and carry.
I suffer from two separate incident shoulder injuries both L&R and this bow by far has been a big improvement compared to my previous bows (PSE, Mathews, Hoyt)
I've destroyed my 3D target and bag but have yet to get a chance to actually take out in the bush.
This fall will be my first crack and I will be taking full advantage of some well deserved time off.
So are there any archers out there who have experience hunting with this bow and would care to give a review?
Thanks and I look forward to your replies.
Sorry boys. I meant Bowtech. For some odd reason I had Hoyt (Matrix) stuck in my head which was the bow I had previous to my new Bowtech.
Was pulling a fastball night duty after being up for 13hrs when I initiated this thread.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Thumbs up

I killed my first Whitetail with a Carbon Icon last season. The bow is crisp, silent, and deadly. The Ready Aim Kill package that comes standard was sufficient for my first bow season, but I will soon be doing some upgrading.
I run Gold Tips, with Muzzy up front, and a Lil Goose release.
I know that bow will feed your family just as it has mine.
Happy hunting!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:43 AM

It's a pretty popular model and a lot of guys really like them. They are light and quick and reasonable on the pocket book. Smooth draw which matches up well with a sore shoulder. The standard accessories are likely something you want to look at upgrading, sight and rest.

LC
Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Bought one in January from Jim Bows in Edmonton and I love it. Everything about it just seemed to feel right to me. The RAK package is fine for me but I will likely upgrade to a fall away rest and new sight eventually.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:37 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for your comments guys.
So far I love everything this carbon bow has to offer (the grip is wider but I got used to it) even the RAK.
I used nothing but Whisker Biscuits before thanks to Neil @ LOST Arrow so the Octane Hostage arrow rest is no change really. I do have a newer Rip Cord that was on my Mathews Switchback XT & Hoyt but I feel no need to switch over. Same goes for quiver & sights, It works for me, why change it.
I bought the 60lb model and I dunno, before I always went with 70lb bows as it seemed that's what was needed. I find it quite comfortable to shoot and I'm not straining to hold back at full draw. I know you can adjust draw wt, but right outta the box the Icon was a indeed a comfortable shooter!
I really hope to tag a deer this fall with it. I'll be using Gold Tip 55/75 Hunter XT and a 100gr Innerloc mechanical.

*What are your thoughts on the Assassin as a back-up bow?*
Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 AM

The grip is like holding a 2x4 and it's a cast carbon composite not truly carbon fiber. Wholesale had the whole package on sale this winter for $500 which shows its true value.. Will do the trick on most AB game though.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM

I love mine. It's lite and it's size makes it easy to maneuver in a stand or blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 05:49 PM

I picked up one of those ones on sale at wholesale this fall and it has been great. I shoot 70lbs on the performance setting with a 30in draw and I am getting 301fps with a 415 grain arrow. I upgraded most the accessories due to preferences. I shot it at jimbows Sunday 3ds most the winter and in their target league. My PB out of 300 was 296. I regularly shot in the low to mid 290s. By the end of the 3ds I was scoring 205-210 out of 220. The bow is more accurate then I am. Now is it as nice as a Hoyt defiant or a bowtech reign no its 1/2 the price of those bows. I have zero reservations about taking it after any animal in North America it has speed to spare.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the positive comments on your Carbon Icon everyone.

Small hands on a 1911 sized grip would be my reasoning for feeling like a 2x4.