Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 10:20 AM

Default Spring 2018 Gopher "forecast"

Hey guys...this might sound like a nutty question, but hear me out.. In about a month's time, my nephew and I will be headed to SW Alberta to bring the fight to the gophers. We were out there in 2016 and not only had a great time...the gophers were quite literally everywhere. It was a much warmer (early) spring of course, which probably played a big part in the success we had. We are headed-out either way, and I'll be shipping my 22 ammo in about 2-week's time. Question is this~how likely is it that the long winter/late spring might have severely impacted gopher populations? I guess it's subjective, so more looking for opinions/experiences I guess.

I love Alberta, and have made some great friends there...so I know it'll be a great time no matter what, just wondering if there is merit in sending less ammo...or...if there is any likliehood it'll be business as usual!

Post-shoot beers and beef jerky~pretty sure the weather will have no effect on those plans!

Thanks for taking a moment to respond and yes...I've been watching the 2018 gopher thread and am feeling somewhat optimistic!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:30 AM

Things you don’t hear Albertans say
1. I like Trudeau
2. Should I take less ammo?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:39 AM

all this water and snow will be gone soon. the gophers will be out and about.

if you want to do any shooting around red deer, let me know, i dont have any spots but we could go knock on doors together.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
all this water and snow will be gone soon. the gophers will be out and about.

if you want to do any shooting around red deer, let me know, i dont have any spots but we could go knock on doors together.
Thanks for the input DK. I won't be up in that area though.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:54 PM

The grass rats are thick as thieves this year already... Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
The grass rats are thick as thieves this year already... Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Sure hope you're right Sledhead. But your reply means that CanPar gets a little more of my $. The box will be THAT much heavier.

Still have about 2,200 rounds of CCI Blazer to run through the Waltz die...but I know the gophers appreciate the effort.

Thanks for chiming in, there will be a "gopher report" in the wake of our trip.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:34 PM

In the far south of the province, I think I probably saw more gophers last year than I have in most years that I can remember, and with our late spring, I've seen a whole wack of the little buggers out on the snow this year. I think it will be a good year for them.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Based on what I've seen in the last 4 weeks, don't scrimp on ammo unless you are OK buying more when you get here.
I thought there might have been a serious winter kill around Calgary due to the extended snow cover and lower than usual temperatures this winter. Seeing dozens of them sitting on top of 3' snow cover 4 weeks ago leads me to believe they made it through OK.
They need to be dealt with before their breeding cycle expands the population.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell