Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 07:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Beaver Fur Price

What have you been getting for a beaver average?

There always seems like a divide in the information given on the markets... due to marketing strategy or whatever. So beaver average x dollars at a sale BUT... these don't sell and those don't sell and just those did sell.

Anybody crazy enough to trap beaver under ice? What are you hoping to average? I'm assuming most wait til early ice out, although we didn't have it, what are you hoping for on your spring collection?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:34 PM
Banned

Yup, I was crazy enough to trap beaver under ice. It gave me something to occupy my time with after coyote season. I committed to providing carcasses to bear hunters and some wanted them earlier than when the ice comes off so once I commit, I do what I can to come through for them.

I really don’t mind the little extra work of trapping under ice, I enjoy it. I honestly don’t think that it’s as hard as some people make out. Humping the otter sled is good for cardio and chainsawing the ice is good for upper body strength. Compared to my last career it’s pretty easy, enjoyable work. Just imagine the Trappers in the past with no sleds or chainsaws. No wonder that a pelt went for big bucks.

I had 13 in the last auction and 11 sold for an average of about $18. Nothing smaller than large and most were 2XXL. Then there was the castor and all of the carcasses were sold. I self tan everything smaller than a large. All of them were nuisance beaver for landowners. I’m friggin rich!

But seriously, no one is going to get rich trapping $40 beaver IMO whether under ice or in open water. Landowners get rid of the pests, bear hunters get their bait, and I get to trap and make a few bucks. It’s just a good thing that my labour is free though.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Had 38 in last sale. just over $15 Average. Thought it was good.. It all seemed dependant on size more so than how well the put up was. I was maybe 2$ difference on I* comapred to a damaged one of the same size I noticed.

I love trapping beaver. I never used to but once you find a market for things it is worth it. I get $20-35 a carcass now and $5 for the skulls even and can get rid of a bunch of them through the whole year.
Add on fur and even tails and it's not really that bad.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Banned

Nothing like trapping beaver under the ice ! all i use is a needle bar , works for me ! Three four holes a day is enough , then the checks are easy . and add more holes as winter goes .