Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Yup that would be a loop hole all right .

So how does a guy return from a BC Sheep Hunt to Alberta with his Sheep.

Would he need a special permit to travel threw the park hyw to get back to Alberta with his sheep.

Or is there some other Hyw he would have to return on .
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
From the Canada National Parks Act

20 (1) No person shall be in possession of a firearm in a park unless the firearm is not loaded and is transported in a case or is wrapped and tied securely in such a manner that no part of the firearm is exposed.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) a person in Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve who is hunting pursuant to a hunting permit issued under subsection 13.1(1); or

(b) a bonded armoured car service guard who is carrying out assigned duties in the park.

(3) No person shall

(a) have a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle, vessel or aircraft; or

(b) discharge a firearm from a vehicle, vessel or aircraft.

(4) The superintendent may issue a permit authorizing a person to carry a firearm or trap where the firearm or trap is to be carried through the park for use outside the park.

(5) No person shall carry a firearm or trap outside a vehicle, vessel or aircraft unless

(a) that person

(i) has a permit from the superintendent authorizing the carrying of a firearm or trap, whichever is applicable, and

(ii) complies with these Regulations; or

(b) the firearm or trap is being carried directly

(i) from a vehicle, vessel or aircraft to that person’s premises, or

(ii) to a vehicle, vessel or aircraft from that person’s premises.

Based on what this reads I agree that it appears it is perfectly legal to transport a firearm. Regulation 20 (1) seems to be what the parks people are telling those who have phoned in. And subsequently B(5) a)ii states "unless they are following the regulation" which in my eyes resorts back to 20(1).

Confusing though
Old 11-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crblair View Post
Based on what this reads I agree that it appears it is perfectly legal to transport a firearm. Regulation 20 (1) seems to be what the parks people are telling those who have phoned in. And subsequently B(5) a)ii states "unless they are following the regulation" which in my eyes resorts back to 20(1).

Confusing though
Section 5a parts i and ii are tied together with an "and". 5ai says "has a permit". So you need a permit AND need to be following the regulations. Section 4 covers the getting a permit to carry a firearm to be used outside of the park. So to me it reads that to stay legal on those regs you'd need a permit from the warden.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey tango foxtrot View Post
Section 5a parts i and ii are tied together with an "and". 5ai says "has a permit". So you need a permit AND need to be following the regulations. Section 4 covers the getting a permit to carry a firearm to be used outside of the park. So to me it reads that to stay legal on those regs you'd need a permit from the warden.
The warden I talked to said nothing about no permit to me
Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 PM

Can't fault them for their choice of taxidermist. Be interesting to know what they told him. Maybe they're members here as well.

Grizz
Old 11-08-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Can't fault them for their choice of taxidermist. Be interesting to know what they told him. Maybe they're members here as well.

Grizz

Luckwell is or was a member, I remember seeing his story last fall and commenting on how great their hunt looked, boy did they fool me. Can no longer find the story on AO now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 09:21 AM

I seem to be semi-computer illiterate as cannot seem to find any pictures of these sheep on that facebook link and/or facebook pages of the hunters. Does anyone have these? Thx.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Default x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfan View Post
I seem to be semi-computer illiterate as cannot seem to find any pictures of these sheep on that facebook link and/or facebook pages of the hunters. Does anyone have these? Thx.
x2 I tried to join groups where it was mentioned here that the story was posted to Facebook but have not received any confirmation?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Yup that would be a loop hole all right .

So how does a guy return from a BC Sheep Hunt to Alberta with his Sheep.

Would he need a special permit to travel threw the park hyw to get back to Alberta with his sheep.

Or is there some other Hyw he would have to return on .
A person is permitted to travel "through roads" and townsites with a cased firearm and animals. 'Through' roads are the TransCanada, Yellowhead highways, and 93S (Radium to TransCanada). The Icefields Parkway, which begins and ends in national parks, is not considered a 'through' highway.
Carrying a firearm, and returning from N. B.C. to Calgary, you'd need to take the Yellowhead to Edmonton and then south to Calgary.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:02 PM

these were the sheep, off of one of the fb pages they had posted in

Old 11-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Looks like his “ Luck” ran out.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:37 PM

I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to do something illegal and then boast about it on FB. They are certainly hunting for the wrong reasons.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote of the year....
Maybe even...

Decade
😏
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to do something illegal and then boast about it on FB. They are certainly hunting for the wrong reasons.
The need to stroke the ego is obviously overwhelming for some.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The need to stroke the ego is obviously overwhelming for some.
Kinda like the moron that shot a ram in 400 this year that was 2” short and took it to Edmonton and registered it for a different WMU. He got away with it until he changed the WMU back to 400 on the registration form after it was registered.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM

Never understood why with such a highly scrutinized and regulated hunt like there is for bighorns that there are so many guys who can’t follow the rules.

LC
Old 11-12-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Kinda like the moron that shot a ram in 400 this year that was 2” short and took it to Edmonton and registered it for a different WMU. He got away with it until he changed the WMU back to 400 on the registration form after it was registered.
How does one change the registration on a sheep after it’s been filed? Or cougar for that matter?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
How does one change the registration on a sheep after it’s been filed? Or cougar for that matter?
When you get the ram registered you get a copy of the registration. From there it’s quit easy to doctor it up to brag to your friends. You see how easy it is to get caught when the two papers don’t jive.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
When you get the ram registered you get a copy of the registration. From there it’s quit easy to doctor it up to brag to your friends. You see how easy it is to get caught when the two papers don’t jive.
Hmm ... ok, so it wasn’t officially changed? Guess that makes sense, but seems pretty odd someone would this.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Hmm ... ok, so it wasn’t officially changed? Guess that makes sense, but seems pretty odd someone would this.
Bragging about killing a full curl ram to a friend who isn’t sure what a full curl ram looks like. Dad is a guide of the one who shot this ram
Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No kidding...those fines would be 1/3 or less of the cost of a guided hunt, be like paying a toll to travel through illegally.

LC
as an alberta resident , a guided sheep hunt will run anywhere from 6500 on cheapest end to around 12 on high end. the 30k hunts described are for nonresidents using allocations.Not that it matters but just an fyi
Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Thats what you get for taking short cuts. Glad they got busted
Old 11-12-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Right from the head warden.
You should call him back, tell him about this case and the hunting regulations, even read it to and refer him to the exact page where the regulations on hunting and possession of firearms in national parks is outlined and see what he says. Would be interested to hear what the head warden says. Not sure it will help in court even if he still says what you say he told you and you record the conversation; it will most likely help with fines, but conviction will probably stay (I have no clue, it is just a speculation). Quite interesting, actually. I wonder... Do it and tell us what he says

Also interested in what it actually takes to get a permit.

Last edited by Bub; 11-13-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Default nice picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybrand View Post
these were the sheep, off of one of the fb pages they had posted in

Thanks for posting that - those are nice sheep. I suppose it buried somewhere in internet space, but did anybody hear what these scored? Maybe it just lighting on this photo, but seems that the bigger one(LHS) actually has lighter cape than the other one which is bit interesting.

Think if somebody wanted to do more internet research that there was a photo in fishing forum of somebody's trip into Michelle Lake a couple years back in summer and there was a sheep picture(one ram) that looked eerily similar to one of these.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
You know this for sure? I'm only asking to be clear that you know 100 percent he changed the registration. i had heard the rumour but we all know how they get blown out of proportion.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
How and why would he change the wmu back to 400?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
as an alberta resident , a guided sheep hunt will run anywhere from 6500 on cheapest end to around 12 on high end. the 30k hunts described are for nonresidents using allocations.Not that it matters but just an fyi
That is true!

LC
Old 11-14-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Isn’t the documents written in pen? So how would he change it?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Wonder where these two fine poachers are these days? Hiding under a rock? Hoping for people to forget?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Am I the only one that has a problem with a federal bureaucracy making silly rules, charging for access and horribly managing Alberta's public lands?

I appreciate the rules are the rules. But these are legally harvested sheep with the only wrong doing being transporting tools and a carcass through public lands that are regulated (and mismanaged).

I'm not okay with partisan bureaucrats from the east making silly rules for my back yard. As sportsmen we should be fighting every park they want to make as it allows these bureaucrats (in Edmonton and Ottawa) to bypass our legislative bodies and make stupid rules that come with big fines.