Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2023, 01:58 PM

Default Dumb regs question, shotgun advice?

Another dumb question, sorry

I'd like to shorten my Remington 870 Wingmaster's massive barrel because I like to hunt upland birds, and it's awkward and heavy pushing through bush with it.

From reading the regs (or trying to...the rcmp website ain't easy to navigate) I can reduce it to 18.5 inches. What I'm confused about is the overall length of the gun, and how the barrel is measured. The gun including the stock can't be less than 660 mm, correct? The guy at the counter of Calgary's Shooting Edge told me that the barrel length doesn't matter as long as the overall gun is over 660 mm? Or would that make it restricted?

Also...how does the barrel get measured? From longest point to longest point? There is about a 2 inch lip where it fits against the receiver. Pic included.

Also also...any tips on dealing with recoil? My shoulders aren't what they used to be. I will be using lighter ammo and a recoil pad, but anything else you can think of? If I'm chopping it down, I'll be removing the threads and I won't be able to screw in a muzzle break. (also, would a muzzle break be included in the barrel length measurement if I got a gunsmith to install one?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun length 2.jpg (54.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-29-2023, 02:57 PM

Don’t cut it!

You’ll bugger the vent rib, and all sorts of other issues can arise.

Go buy a shorter barrel. Yes you can buy 14”, 12” and 9” barrel and that’s legal.

18.5”-20” with a screw in choke option is the way to go.

https://shooterschoice.com/shop/bran...on-870-barrel/

Measure from the bolt face to the muzzle.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-29-2023, 03:11 PM

Yes you can BUY a 8", 12" or whatever barrel.. you take your barrel and cut it down to 17" and its a prohibited device.

Buy a barrel you want and make sure it's overall length is good.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:13 PM

Measure your barrel from where it enter the action, but the best is to make sure you are over 660 mm with a factory type barrel
As Dick284 stated, do NOT cut the barrel!
Reasonably inexpensive shorter barrels are pretty easy to come by, how short are you looking , bird hunting or shotgun slug stuff?
Cat
Old 09-29-2023, 03:21 PM

I've contacted a couple gun shops and buying a new barrel is expensive and difficult. The guy at proline shooters said that it was straight up impossible, as remmington has "gone out of business" and parts cannot be found. The guy at calgary's shooting edge said that it would be cheaper to buy a whole new gun.

What issues will arise? I would cut it so I don't mess up the vent ribs. I always use an open choke anyway. I have a .308 if I wanna shoot distance, so I don't really use slugs. In the 10+ years I've owned it, the only things I've shot are grouse and clays.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:26 PM

Go pick up a cheap single shot shotgun for upland. In 20 ga. Much handier to lug around all day

If you really want to pack the 870. Check with western gun parts they used to have some used barrels there also CGN always has somebody flogging 870 barrels in the gun parts section
Old 09-29-2023, 04:33 PM

Mossberg sold some barrels to fit an 870 as well.
As mentioned cgn... dlask
Old 09-29-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
I've contacted a couple gun shops and buying a new barrel is expensive and difficult. The guy at proline shooters said that it was straight up impossible, as remmington has "gone out of business" and parts cannot be found. The guy at calgary's shooting edge said that it would be cheaper to buy a whole new gun.

What issues will arise? I would cut it so I don't mess up the vent ribs. I always use an open choke anyway. I have a .308 if I wanna shoot distance, so I don't really use slugs. In the 10+ years I've owned it, the only things I've shot are grouse and clays.
That is a load of crap.
Check with DLASK , they can help you out .
Cat
Old 09-29-2023, 07:28 PM

Does your barrel have a mid bead?
How long is it?
I might be worth enough in it's current configuration that someone would buy it, and you could buy a shorter one. Or make a trade.
(I have a cut down plain barrel that just needs a bead, for example)
Old 09-29-2023, 10:18 PM

The measurement is from the front of the barrel to the front of the bolt when the action is closed . So you need to close the action and slide a dowel of some type into the barrel.
I’ve cut a lot of shotgun barrels over the years , if it’s a vent rib it need to be cut at one of the studs of the rib . Depending on the barrel thickness it maybe possible to install changeable chokes .

Check out colonial arms chokes , I’ve used hundreds of them as they will fit a large selection of barrels .

Last edited by fps plus; 09-29-2023 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:35 AM

1. Get a cleaning rod.

2. Make sure the action is closed on your shotgun.

3. Get a tape measure and a sharpie. Measure 18.75" from one end of your cleaning rod, and mark that with your sharpie. This is S1. (I use 18.75" because it allows for a bit of error.)

4. Drop the cleaning rod down the barrel until it contacts the bolt face. Use your sharpie to mark the end of the barrel on your cleaning rod. This is S2

5. Pull your cleaning rod, and measure the distance between s1 and s2. That's how much you need to cut off the end of the barrel to get an 18.75" barrel length. Measure that length on your barrel, and mark it with your sharpie.

6. Done.

Now grab your hacksaw or whatever and make a cut. Then smooth the cut it with a file etc.

You need to watch though, because you have a ribbed barrel. You'll want to make sure you make your cut on one of the solid sections, so that you don't have a floating rib.

If a man wants to cut a barrel down and save some money, especially an 870 shotgun, I see no reason not to. Hopefully that helps.

(Although upland with a pump action 18.75" barrel does seem a little unique...)

Last edited by hansol; 09-30-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:37 AM

Best advise anyone can tell you is ,sell that that riffle with the long barrel and buy one with a short barrel . or trade it .