Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2024, 10:53 AM

Default Strange Bullet Behaviour

My youngest son shot a bear Thursday evening. He was using his Kimber Montana 308 shooting 150gr Hornady Interlocks. He shot it at around 40 yards. The shot was taken on the same basic plane as the bear. The entrance side was the bears right side and the exit the left.

Here is where it gets weird. He had two holes in him. An entrance and an exit. But I recovered the bullet from the off side. The bullet jacket. What was left of the lead core must have gone through?

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 05-11-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:18 AM

Not strange or weird at all, it was a core separation which resulted in a secondary projectile.
You should see the pattern of secondary exits from things like Berger bullets, if you held the hide up it looks like stars in the evening sky.

The bear died, the bullet did what it’s supposed to. Would a different bullet give a different or more predictable outcome…… most likely, but dead is dead in my eyes.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-11-2024, 11:22 AM

Have shot lots of Interlocks, total core separation is uncommon but does happen. Never had an Interlock fail to kill what I shot at though. The Interbonds almost never do that, but they are also a lot more money. I still like Interlocks, still use lots of them.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:26 AM

I’m not saying the bullet failed in any way. I would not have thought that whatever was left of that core would have had enough inertia to push through.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-11-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I’m not saying the bullet failed in any way. I would not have thought that whatever was left of that core would have had enough inertia to push through.
Crap happens, internal ballistics has so many variables, it’s like expect the un expected…..

There are no absolutes
Old 05-11-2024, 11:34 AM

I don’t know if it’s crap. But I will agree that bullet performance is an interesting topic as it seems no two scenarios are the same. Bullets do weird things all the time that’s for sure.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-11-2024, 11:39 AM

The core is much heavier than the jacket and the core usually stays in one piece on an Interlock, basically a big ball of lead. Not surprised at all that it carried on through and the jacket didn't.

Typical recovered Interlocks.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I don’t know if it’s crap. But I will agree that bullet performance is an interesting topic as it seems no two scenarios are the same. Bullets do weird things all the time that’s for sure.
Crap, as in things, stuff or the all mighty $hi…………! You know

There are no absolutes
Old 05-11-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The core is much heavier than the jacket and the core usually stays in one piece on an Interlock, basically a big ball of lead. Not surprised at all that it carried on through and the jacket didn't.

Typical recovered Interlocks.

Things must have changed. Here is another one I recovered a week or so ago. There wasn’t much lead left.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-11-2024, 01:09 PM

A buddy shot a MD at 70M with 270win factory shells utilizing sierra bullets...cup and core...the jacket was found in the hair at point of entry ... only the lead core broke the hide and continued on...DRT
Old 05-11-2024, 01:38 PM

I guess it worked, but having two jacket and core separations like that on two consecutive animals would have me choosing a different bullet. With so many good options like TSX TTSX Partitions, Trophy Bonded, Accubonds...I just don't think I'd use those again.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-11-2024, 02:06 PM

I find more often than not the jacket and core separate on interlocks. Oh well they still kill well.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Things must have changed. Here is another one I recovered a week or so ago. There wasn’t much lead left.

Maybe they have changed? All my stock is quite old production. I bought a huge number of them at one time many years ago, have not bought any new interlocks in probably 20 years, maybe more, except for some 25 caliber about 4 years ago. Used those in the 257 Bee on Antelope at about 200 yards, and at 3700 FPS they zipped right through, leaving a good sized exit hole. If they separated I couldn't tell.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-11-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:52 PM

What outcome were you expecting?

Gunrags have done well propogandizing the "100% weight retention/perfect mushroom" nonsense. This still lingers, and needs to die.

The critter died = general success. What did the wound pattern look like? How fast was the bear incapacitated? How far did it travel post-shot?

Don't worry about how "pretty" the bullet looks post-shot. That's the wrong path. Instead, focus on wound channels. If you were happy with the damage, and no rodeos were had, you're in good shape.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:18 PM

40 yards would not be the sweet spot for that bullet
Old 05-12-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
What outcome were you expecting?

Gunrags have done well propogandizing the "100% weight retention/perfect mushroom" nonsense. This still lingers, and needs to die.

The critter died = general success. What did the wound pattern look like? How fast was the bear incapacitated? How far did it travel post-shot?

Don't worry about how "pretty" the bullet looks post-shot. That's the wrong path. Instead, focus on wound channels. If you were happy with the damage, and no rodeos were had, you're in good shape.
This really has nothing to do with this thread. I didn’t say there was a failure. I never mentioned dissatisfaction. You obviously didn’t read the initial post unfortunately.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-12-2024, 03:46 PM

That performance mirrors what the 150 Interlock’s do out of my 20” 30-06, REM 760 (2850 fps)

Like I said dead is dead, I have no desire to change anything with my loading and the 150 Interlock’s.

There are no absolutes