Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Default The Riflemen T.V. Show

Did anyone else see the recent show on the Sportsman Channel, aired April 6, titled Bear Down. They say the video was shot in Northern Alberta. The young guy, Jordan Walsh that is the host of the program called "The Riflemen", shot a Black Bear that was standing on what appears to be a well maintained road. After the shot, you can see a stop sign and major intersection behind him as he is walking up to the downed bear. I have noticed a lot of safety and in some cases Legal violations on these shows. I wonder if anyone from Fish and Wildlife watches these for game violations.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:42 AM
Banned

I also saw a safety concern on outdoor quest. Antelope shot with a truck driving on a road past the antelope. There was a hill between, but not very high.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
I also saw a safety concern on outdoor quest. Antelope shot with a truck driving on a road past the antelope. There was a hill between, but not very high.

I noticed that one too...real head shaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 10:51 AM

The overwhelming need to get a killshot on film ruins so many of these guys.

Its sad what the promise of a sponsor laden sweatshirt can make a man forget.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah I found that one a rare miss on their part. That show has always been really good with displayed ethics. I wont write them off but that was definitely a time to hold off shooting.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:31 AM

I loved Wild TV when it first came out thought it was the greatest thing now I can't stand any of these hunting shows, I think it's wrecking this sport and definitely changing people's ethics especially with long range shooting out-of-the-box thousand-yard guns blah blah blah.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Yeah I found that one a rare miss on their part. That show has always been really good with displayed ethics. I wont write them off but that was definitely a time to hold off shooting.
It wasn’t only unsafe, but illegal.

From the regs:
“discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless”
Old 04-07-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
It wasn’t only unsafe, but illegal.

From the regs:
“discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless”
1: You posted a excerpt from our Alberta regulations but i believe the pronghorn hunt in question took place on a US ranch.

2: Did the projectile pass along or across that road? or did it lodge deep into that hill? man upstairs is the only one who knows. Unless they recovered it from the goat.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
1: You posted a excerpt from our Alberta regulations but i believe the pronghorn hunt in question took place on a US ranch.

2: Did the projectile pass along or across that road? or did it lodge deep into that hill? man upstairs is the only one who knows. Unless they recovered it from the goat.
I think he's talking about the bear hunt in Alberta

Old 04-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I think he's talking about the bear hunt in Alberta

I know

But he quoted my comments on the pronghorn hunt...so he gets what he gets lol
Old 04-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

You’re correct, my bad. Maybe it’s legal there???
Old 04-07-2020, 12:57 PM

Watch the game warden filmed in Texas. Might be called Lone Star. It was pronghorn season. Thought it was funny when they mentioned how is was unsafe and illegal to shoot from a maintained road and then on his day off he shot an antelope from his seat in the truck and his rifle resting on the trucks built in gun rest (mirror).
Old 04-07-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Noticed

I had a tv show on wild channel pvr’d and the target animal was a bull elk,the hunter clearly wounded a cow elk standing behind the bull and I am still in shock,and after I noticed this I’ve seen a few incidents that are illegal,not sure anything has been noticed by FnW.Very concerning
Old 04-07-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I had a tv show on wild channel pvr’d and the target animal was a bull elk,the hunter clearly wounded a cow elk standing behind the bull and I am still in shock,and after I noticed this I’ve seen a few incidents that are illegal,not sure anything has been noticed by FnW.Very concerning
Was that a crossbow shot in the snow?
Old 04-07-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Watch the game warden filmed in Texas. Might be called Lone Star. It was pronghorn season. Thought it was funny when they mentioned how is was unsafe and illegal to shoot from a maintained road and then on his day off he shot an antelope from his seat in the truck and his rifle resting on the trucks built in gun rest (mirror).
Every state has different laws, probably legal to shoot from the vehicle.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Banned

I’m just curious how some of these hosts keep coming back
Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 PM

I didn't see that episode. I always thought Walsh was a bit of a clown especially when he showed up at Camp Wainwright, without buying a license, but I haven't seen him do anything unsafe, or illegal yet.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Did anyone else see the recent show on the Sportsman Channel, aired April 6, titled Bear Down. They say the video was shot in Northern Alberta. The young guy, Jordan Walsh that is the host of the program called "The Riflemen", shot a Black Bear that was standing on what appears to be a well maintained road. After the shot, you can see a stop sign and major intersection behind him as he is walking up to the downed bear. I have noticed a lot of safety and in some cases Legal violations on these shows. I wonder if anyone from Fish and Wildlife watches these for game violations.
Some private roads are well maintained, with intersections and signage. I haven’t seen the episode myself, but if it was a private road, doesn’t matter
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Some private roads are well maintained, with intersections and signage. I haven’t seen the episode myself, but if it was a private road, doesn’t matter
Episode is on tonight again I think
Old 04-07-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The show is on tonight at 8.30 and again tomorrow the 9th at 12.30 p.m.

As far as private road, may not be illegal but that heavily used a road sure as hell isn't safe shooting down it. You guys watch and tell me what u think.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Name the show and episode
Old 04-07-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Ethics

I’m working with the pvr box provider to retrieve proof of my comment,but as the bear show it diff looked like JP shot over a road on first bear,and the young fellow shot his bear in the middle of the road,public or private that is very scary
Old 04-07-2020, 10:09 PM

I cancelled WildTV a couple years ago, but my new package deal includes it now. .....

I never watch it. I cant stand it.

The concept of WildTV is great, but some of the content is just not for me

I know its terrible to say that, but its true. Those shows wreck hunting for me.

FWIW. Jesus had NOTHING to do with that buck you shot. Absolutely nothing. Jesus doesnt put big bucks in your sights any more than he pulls babies from house fires......born agains 🙄🙄

Last edited by huntinstuff; 04-07-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Every state has different laws, probably legal to shoot from the vehicle.
I’ve seen this episode a few times. They say earlier in the show that it IS legal to shoot antelope from the truck on PRIVATE property, which he was for that shot.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I’m working with the pvr box provider to retrieve proof of my comment,but as the bear show it diff looked like JP shot over a road on first bear,and the young fellow shot his bear in the middle of the road,public or private that is very scary
I'm not doubting, I'm just interested in what show it is.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2020, 06:15 AM

have you guys ever experienced a deer stopping in front of your stand and start licking the grass and dirt, providing you with a perfect broadside shot?I haven't been so lucky, but have seen it on a number of hunting shows and yes some have been filmed in Alberta.Makes me wonder how these guys are so lucky,or is there something else going on.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Episode is on tonight again I think
Yup watched the rerun last night again, looked like he shot down the road away from where the stop sign was as it was in his back round as he was walking up to the bear, my guess would be a private road into a lease, if so not illegal but certainly not safe and certainly not something you would want to promote on TV.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Lol just watched that and was like wtf do they not see the truck? Maybe it was a bad camera angle or something but didn't look good.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Lol just watched that and was like wtf do they not see the truck? Maybe it was a bad camera angle or something but didn't look good.
Bad enough they actually take the shot, but to be so tone deaf as to actually use the footage in a hunting show is beyond stupid. The other thing that drives me nuts is watching the African hunting shows and watching 5 guys walking in a line, all of them pointing loaded rifles at each other as they walk. Anyone ever points a gun at me like that I would loose my nut.

Tells you just how many short cuts, illegal acts and plain stupid stuff is done to make these hunting shows look cool. I think I agree with however said they are starting to ruin the sport if this is what people are learning to hunt like.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:55 AM

Really I was just watching an africa buffalo show last night where the fat american was walking in the back with rifle pointed straight ahead at guide and tracker.
Anyone remember tim herald shooting his guide in the shoulder?.