Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 04:31 PM

Default Turkey hunting

Planning on a turkey hunt here in Manitoba this spring if I’m allowed out of the house with this virus stuff going on. Never turkey hunted before and was looking for some direction on shot size and chokes to use. I’m planning on using a 12g o/u.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:31 PM

Some provinces have restrictions on shot sizes but in general smaller sizes in bigger loads are the way to go. Big fan of size 5 or 6 and I’ll move down to size 7 with the new TSS tungsten loads. Pattern your shotgun and use the tightest choke you can find for your shotgun.
Most important thing is patterning you’re shotgun to see what loads and choke combos keep tight patterns at the ranges you are comfortable hunting.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:40 AM

Smile

If your shotgun will accept them I would seriously look at aftermarket turkey chokes. I find they give a tighter more consistent pattern. I prefer #6 shot. Practicing your calling and controlling your movement I feel is a lot more important to have a successful hunt. Good luck!
Old 04-07-2020, 09:01 AM

I've always used # 6 shot in turkey loads. For shotgun, I use my old Remington 870 with a modified choke barrel, never let me down yet . Just wait till they come in close. I set my decoys out about 15 to 20 yards from my hiding spot.
Always aim for head shots!
Old 04-07-2020, 09:54 AM

Check out the Briley choke line. I’ve got a IM Improved Modified that I use for goose hunting in my Benelli. It has a tighter pattern to 30 yards then starts to open up. I’ve hunted turkeys down in Kentucky with buddies and used their Benelli guns one had a Briley rifled choke and the other one had a Briley Light Full choke. They keep a real tight pattern out to 40 yards. They mostly use #4 shot as it usually results in a more lethal shot. All depends on your range sometimes you can get a turkey to come into 10 yards sometimes they hold up at 40+ yards. Best to get some paper and check some patterns at different yards that way you know what range you are good to make lethal shots. These guys in Kentucky have been hunting turkeys every year since they were 12 years old and take turkey hunting more serious then their deer hunting.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:56 AM

I've shot turkeys with almost everything. I haven't shot one with a 410 but know a guy in NM who shoots his every year with one.

Small shot is better and any shotgun will work.

The thing to do is to hide well and strictly limit movement. Carry a piece of camo and build a blind.

If you read all the articles by the camo clad gear hawkers you'll think turkeys are some super bird. They are not. Their survival instincts are exceptional sight and hearing.

Park yourself where turkeys travel. Get a comfortable seat well hidden and couple of decoys (jake/hen). Don't over call. Sit back and be ready.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:14 PM

Great info, Just what I was looking for. Thanks guys