Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 07:40 AM

Default Bucket list what is on yours ( fighting boredom)

Since spring is taking its sweet time getting here and all this Covid19 crap is increasing the level of stir crazy theses days there is not much else to do then post useless things lol

So what is everyone’s top ten bucket list species to try and catch before you go?

Don’t know how may I will check off my list but here we go

1) Musky(was planned for this year but cancelled)
2) Tarpon
3) Triera (wolf fish)
4) Stripped bass
5) Murray cod
6) Golden Darodo
7) Peacock bass
8) Giant snakehead
9) Tuna (don’t care what species but has to be casting top water)
10) Barramundi

Yes I am fighting boredom
Old 04-07-2020, 09:22 AM

Here's my list.
1) Tarpon
2) Sailfish (on the fly)
3) Blue/Black Marlin
4) Arctic Char
5) Taimen
6) White Sturgeon
7) Golden Dorado
8) Giant Trevally
9) Bluefin Tuna
10) Goliath Grouper

Ones that I have checked off my list are
Muskie
Tiger Muskie
Yellowfin Tuna
Mako
Thresher
Mahi Mahi
Wahoo
Zander
Kahawai
Barracuda
Yellowtail Kingfish

Makos were by far the most fun to catch. The aerial acrobatics and runs are unlike anything else I've seen.

Last edited by Brovacs; 04-07-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:36 AM

Id like to finish my 700 dinos, maybe even find the giant that swims in there. (80 inches) hopefully be able to accomplish that this season. plus a 30 pound channel cat and a 30 pound carp. should all be doable if this virus continues and doesnt plant me Id also like to hook into an Inconnu or two, in Alberta.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Catch and release a Great White.

Dodger.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:43 AM

Innconnu. And a fly in fishing trip for some really big fish that hopefully has big Grayling in the surrounding rivers. One day......
Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Win 60mil....fish whatever...whenever....too many species to list....just go and do it....60mil...who cares.....for now though a little shy of 60mil...arctic grayling...need a good feeding too shore lunch comes to mind....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Win 60mil....fish whatever...whenever....too many species to list....just go and do it....60mil...who cares.....for now though a little shy of 60mil...arctic grayling...need a good feeding too shore lunch comes to mind....
With 60 mil my list would never end lol
Old 04-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Id like to finish my 700 dinos, maybe even find the giant that swims in there. (80 inches) hopefully be able to accomplish that this season. plus a 30 pound channel cat and a 30 pound carp. should all be doable if this virus continues and doesnt plant me Id also like to hook into an Inconnu or two, in Alberta.
Lake sturgeon here in Alberta is the last freshwater fish I need to catch before I can say I have caught all the fresh water species in BC/Alberta. I plan to target them in the NSR this year to scratch that one of the list

Any advice on good bait options? I assume the are similar to the white sturgeon so cut bait and worm balls will work
Old 04-07-2020, 10:56 AM

Arctic Char from the Tree River...
Old 04-07-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anything_but_fish View Post
Amen! Recent post I put up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Well Taimen is a long way away, I think I would first love to fish arctic char in the Tree River Nunavut including in the river where the males get those amazing colors and just at the delta and coast. That is a trip that is very possible. Gotta do it.

https://youtu.be/cqtygLj2fvU
And, closer to home too.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anything_but_fish View Post
Had to check. Now that is not a cheap trip - Plummer's lodge:

Quote:
Some of our guests have told us that all they want to do is fish for an entire week at the Tree. To accommodate this, we have added a new trip to the menu. During the last week of the August, we will fly guests in to Great Bear Lake from Yellowknife, where (weather permitting) they will transfer to one of our float planes and fly directly to the Tree River on that same Saturday afternoon. These Char-crazed anglers will enjoy the Tree River to themselves for the remainder of the week, chasing the Arctic Char at the peak of their colored-up phase, and will return to Great Bear Lake Lodge on Thursday. They will have the opportunity to fish Great Bear all day Friday and will be flown back to Yellowknife Saturday morning.

Space is extremely limited on this one week trip.

August 15- 22, 2020. $6245 USD/person.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Had to check. Now that is not a cheap trip - Plummer's lodge:
6245 usd. Lol. Are you kidding me. Obviously catering to rich folk
Old 04-07-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Yep, I think I'll be finding an alternative. That is a for a full week though which is not unheard of pricewise. But for largely the focus on a single species...I'll be shopping around.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
People spend money like that to go on vacation to places you can’t even go fishing so you could spend money on worse things. Heck some people waste that kind of money on Starbucks over a 3 year period

If it’s an experience you will never forget the price is not that bad if you save the money by cutting out those useless things we all spend money on to do it

I would go elsewhere myself but I can totally understand why someone would pay over 6k for that trip
Old 04-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
People spend money like that to go on vacation to places you can’t even go fishing so you could spend money on worse things. Heck some people waste that kind of money on Starbucks over a 3 year period

If it’s an experience you will never forget the price is not that bad if you save the money by cutting out those useless things we all spend money on to do it

I would go elsewhere myself but I can totally understand why someone would pay over 6k for that trip
Eh, that's a $10k CAD trip per person when you factor in travel and tipping guides. If you aren't wealthy, that's not within reach for the vast majority of people.

Anyways, I could probably write a bucket list that exceeds ten pages. Keeping it to 10 fish, my key fish would be (in no order):

1) 20+ in male brook trout
2) 2lb+ perch
3) 50in pike
4) 34in walleye
5) alligator gar
6) channel catfish
7) arctic grayling
8) arctic char
9) white sturgeon
10) dorado
Old 04-07-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Eh, that's a $10k CAD trip per person when you factor in travel and tipping guides. If you aren't wealthy, that's not within reach for the vast majority of people.

Anyways, I could probably write a bucket list that exceeds ten pages. Keeping it to 10 fish, my key fish would be (in no order):

1) 20+ in male brook trout
2) 2lb+ perch
3) 50in pike
4) 34in walleye
5) alligator gar
6) channel catfish
7) arctic grayling
8) arctic char
9) white sturgeon
10) dorado
It’s not cheap I agree but it’s not untouchable. Most would rather use the money for something else if they can save 10k and I don’t blame them. I know one guy who has done all kinds of crazy hunts/fishing trips and he is far from rich. But he also lives very simple compared to most and saves his money for these trips. Most would never live like him to do it.

There is definitely people it would take years of saving to do that trip if they really wanted it but it’s possible
Old 04-07-2020, 02:26 PM

All inclusive Canadian fishing lodges that have to fly customers in are not cheap!!!!

I can spend a week flyfishing for tarpon in Florida with a world class guide with accommodations, meals and flights from Alberta all in for that kind of money!!!

Actually, one can easily book an "all in" fishing trip pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean for that kind of money (or even less in many cases.)

Fortunately there are also "bare bones" alternatives that cut back on services provided that can still get you into quality fishing (Many times the fishing is even better than the full meal deal lodges!!!!)

Just depends on your "budget" and your "priorities"......
Old 04-07-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yep, I think I'll be finding an alternative. That is a for a full week though which is not unheard of pricewise. But for largely the focus on a single species...I'll be shopping around.
No not unheard of at all. Seems like a bunch but the planes, food , camp and all the background support to make that happen up on the Tree is the bulk of it. If a person pays a bit less for a truck, maybe buys a 1 year old lease turn in instead of new, you could certainly save the money in 2 years. Just an example there are other ways if you want it.
Guys here mention Tarpon. Bang for the buck you would do well to look at Costa Rica. If you know when to be there there is no better tarpon fishing on the planet Florida included. Size and numbers unmatched.
I’ve fished a ton but a redo would be: good rooster fishing, and back down under for granders.

Osky
Old 04-07-2020, 02:58 PM

"Destination" fishing doesn't really appeal to me, so things like tarpon, bonefish, etc isn't really for me.... if it can't be caught in the Canadian Shield, I don't really have a lot of use for it. That said......

Musky
Sturgeon
Largemouth Bass

I'll get those checked off before too long...
Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 PM

I am fortunate enough that my work has enabled me to travel quite a bit through the winter months for the past 20 years, so I have crossed a number of bucket things off the list.... but I still have some things from my old list and I can add some new ones as well....

(The first three should come as no surprise given my username!!!)

1) 50" pike on the fly in Alberta

2) The whole month of June dedicated to chasing pike all over Alberta

3) Flyfish for pike in northern Sweden and the Baltic Sea

4) Guatemala sailfish and marlin on the fly

5) Seychelles flats fishing (now that one is expensive enough that I may never be able to justify the cost,,, but one can always dream that some long lost relative leaves me his fortune!!!)

6) Gulf Of Carpentaria (Australia)

7) Jardines de la Reina Cuba in May

8) Return trip to Los Roques (when safer to travel there!)

9) Smallmouth Bass

10) South Andros Island
Old 04-07-2020, 04:54 PM

1) Burbot - I just can’t seem to catch one!!

2) Jumbo Perch - haven’t caught a hog yet

3) Tiger Trout

4) Lake Trout over 3 pounds

5) Sturgeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 04:59 PM

1) Burbot - I just can’t seem to catch one!!

2) Jumbo Perch - haven’t caught a hog yet

3) Tiger Trout

4) Lake Trout over 3 pounds

5) Sturgeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 05:55 PM

Lots of good options on this list ...... but although I have already caught tuna ..... I'd like to do it again as a adult.

I went tuna fishing in Croatia when I was in my early teens. Small Tuna (maybe similar to a yellow jack or bonito ... I don't know). They were in that 10kg size and were voracious fighters.

But I do remember catching bait fish first, then rigging up following the bait fish that were bursting through the surface as the tuna fed.

We would cast into the turbulent water, and let the bait swim, the Tuna would smash it like a freight train, your reel would scream as they strip line, jump around and throw you into a arms burning rodeo as you jump around the back of the boat constantly adjusting your angle to keep from getting rag dolled ....... something I've never experienced before with light tackle.

These fish are crazy and will not settle down. Even after a gaff they would flip around and destroy anything not tied down on the deck ..... lol

It was so much fun and they were so delicious on the open fire grill (spices and olive oil) after it was a highlight of my life in many ways.

Last edited by EZM; 04-07-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:37 PM

1) Bc Salmon fishing. Grew up in BC but never salmon fished
2) Tarpon Anywhere in Florida
3) trout in Scotland. Been to scotland and want to fly fish there
4) Dorado. Anywhere tropical.
5) Bonefish. Key west Florida. Great place
6) Peacock Bass in Brazil. That’s one cool looking fish
7)Marlin. Try again in Mexico. No luck years ago
Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 PM

Big ol mako shark for saltwater please then a big Permit on my flyrod while I'm in the salt chuck. Then a big ol blue cat from the Mississippi River. Pretty simple list right there I love my alberta fish, they gotter tough out here so every one is a gem, cept for all those cookie cutter wallies infesting our lakes but their time is nigh....sharpen up those filletin knives boys.😄
Old 04-07-2020, 08:44 PM

30 inch brown !
Old 04-07-2020, 08:54 PM

Some of you guys have a really short bucket list

Is it really low expectations in life or do you plan on kicking the bucket soon and feel you don’t have time for more

Get out a live a little
Old 04-07-2020, 10:24 PM

Only two things on my bucket list
First is to fly fish the walleye opener at the mouth occur McKay - it's a yearly thing and simply fantastic all night long!

Second is to get into some big ol' muskies with my brother using Smoky Buck's lures ! Haven't fished with him got well over 45 years
Cat
Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 PM

I really want to stay at the water's edge inn (I think it's called) in Seattle, and fish out of the window.
Like the Beatles, and countless other big name bands did when they toured through there.
That's always been on the top of my bucket list for fishing. There are hundreds more exciting fishing experiences out there, but I've wanted to do this one since I was a little kid.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Only two things on my bucket list
First is to fly fish the walleye opener at the mouth occur McKay - it's a yearly thing and simply fantastic all night long!

Second is to get into some big ol' muskies with my brother using Smoky Buck's lures ! Haven't fished with him got well over 45 years
Cat
Oh that black/blue top water with the clear coat issue you wanted cleaned it up the best I could. Action is fine just doesn’t have a smooth glass finish. Just putting together a few things before I ship out any spring packages for testing

Whenever you plan your trip east let me know and I will see what I can put together for you