Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2009, 11:56 PM

Default Bear bait - Corn?

Recently I came a cross a thread about using corn to fill you bait barrels. Now I understand that corn will work just as well as most other things. But my questionis, isnt corn expensive to use? I myself have 3 bait sites going with a 40 gallon drum at each site. How much would it cost to fill a 40 gallon drum with corn and where would one get that much corn?

Another question,

I was near a KFC/Taco Bell today and found about 35 litres of Grease. They manager let me take it. Now my question is, will the grease from KFC be better/worse than the grease from a chinese food restaurant? Or will they be pretty much the same? Guess what I'm asking is will the grease carry the flavour of whats cooked in and to what degree?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 AM

I've seen mixes from feed mills that use corn or lentles as fillers with oat hulls and molases. It is quite in expensive for a 25kg bag. I don't know what to tell you about straight corn.

Regarding the KFC grease, we have used it for years and the bears will excavate the ground just trying to get the salty grease...then walk it all over the country side. It's a great choice.........my personal preference is chicken grease over chinese food oil.

Good luck.......Marco
Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM

I have used about 45 gal of grease this year on three baits and all baits are hit hard and up to 9 bears in at each bait. All of the grease was picked up from little town restraunts I also have been getting the gravy and the left over soup. I dont think it matters to much what kind of grease it is as long as the bears are in the area and the grease has been used