Never close it
They can have kittens at any time so they should almost be the same as coyote
I don't see a problem with the cats.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
You calling me a liar sageboy?

You don’t friend much do ya?
No not at all, you said you say a cougar.
Do I think it was stalking you. NO
Old 11-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
I don't see a problem with the cats.
Tell that to the family of the lady cross country ski years ago near Banff who was killed by a cat. Not fun.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Do I think it was stalking you. NO
Then you don't know thing one about Cougars.

As far as I'm concerned Cougars should be classed as vermin along with Coyotes and Starlings.

I am all for conservation. I believe we can share this world with all wildlife, except Cougars and Mosquitoes.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 AM

The most dangerous hunters on this planet is man himself, some animals will kill some people ,but man will sooner or latter wipe everything including himself.20000 murders in the usa and Canada in 2018.

So don't worry about some cat,or wolf or coyote they are entitled to live on this planet also. Keeping the population in check is needed ,but the rest is not up to us to decide .

They do there part in cleaning up this planet in many ways.

I seen a picture the other day of a mosquito sucking the blood on Elizabeth Warrens hand sucking out all the native blood out of her. True story, no fake news on this site.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Tell that to the family of the lady cross country ski years ago near Banff who was killed by a cat. Not fun.

She stood a better chance of being killed driving to the trailhead or on her next trip into Cgy.

Lots of them out there. Smart animal. Should see daily attack news no? Wolves even more so.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
She stood a better chance of being killed driving to the trailhead or on her next trip into Cgy.

Lots of them out there. Smart animal. Should see daily attack news no? Wolves even more so.
yup but she was not killed driving to the trailhead in crazy traffic she was killed by a cougar
Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
yup but she was not killed driving to the trailhead in crazy traffic she was killed by a cougar
Now why you's got's to go messing eveting up wid facs!
We's don want dem facs on hear. Ya'll hering me?

Now whare'd I put tham thar bib coveralls an straw hat. I need was got to town.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
The most dangerous hunters on this planet is man himself, some animals will kill some people ,but man will sooner or latter wipe everything including himself.20000 murders in the usa and Canada in 2018.

So don't worry about some cat,or wolf or coyote they are entitled to live on this planet also. Keeping the population in check is needed ,but the rest is not up to us to decide .

They do there part in cleaning up this planet in many ways.

I seen a picture the other day of a mosquito sucking the blood on Elizabeth Warrens hand sucking out all the native blood out of her. True story, no fake news on this site.
Now let's see. 20,000 in a population of 579 million is what percent?
My math says it's 0.003454231433506045 percent.

So we kill 0.03 percent of our own.
And 1.25 MILLION die in vehical accidents each year.
another 1,344,108 die from cancer

I wonder how many Cougars are killed by other Cougars? is it 10% 50% or maybe 75%
One thing's for sure it a lot higher then 0.03 percent.

So your point is?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 03:48 PM

I don't know how many people are killed by cougars, but to say they don't stalk people is simply not true. I'm not saying they will turn every stalk into an attack, and I'm not saying they won't follow you and "think about it" but there is plenty of video showing this behavior. It's unnerving and my experience rattled me.

I parked the truck in the early morning darkness, early season elk, my partner ventured one way, I went the other. I made my way up to a ridge about a mile above the road following a game trail, in fresh snow, to get to a lookout point where I could glass as the sun came up.

I wanted to get up and over before day break, but didn't want to push any game out. The last half of the walk I slowed down, walking slowly, stopping occasionally, using a red light sparingly only in the darkest parts of the trail, and picking my way carefully up the trail.

At some point I "thought" I had heard something - stopping to listen - nothing. A few minutes later and another 100-150 yards, again, something made me stop and look around, but the sun was just coming up and it was far too dark to see anything. A little strange - but I chalked it up to creepy darkness playing with my mind.

I got the spot where I wanted to set up, in a small grove of trees, put my pack down and grabbed my sitting pad and settled in to wait for the sun to finish coming up.

Over the next hour or so, at least twice, I turned around thinking I had heard something behind me, and a little unsettled, I just chalked it up to my mind playing with me.

Another hour passed, and I'd calmed back down, the sun was high enough that I was glassing sections down and below me and I was thinking about where to set up next when I heard a distinct noise behind me and jumped up, spun around and heard a crash up above me and to my left. I looked in that direction but did not see a thing. My heart was beating out of my chest. There was definitely something there.

At this point, I'm frozen for a minute trying to figure out what just happened, and I decided I need to move anyways, told myself .... "it was probably just a deer or elk that came up behind me, caught my scent and took off".

So with shaky hands and knocking knees, I pack up and head back up in that direction to catch the trail that winds behind the ridge and continue to a new spot.

I follow my tracks in the fresh snow, and 20 yards back I am frozen, I look down to see cat tracks that clearly followed me in and then veered off to my left and above me) where I heard the noise. I was shocked. I snapped the safety of my rifle at that point and followed those tracks and could see a place where the cat had laid down, then continued, as the tracks kept going around, there was an area where the rocks and hillside had less snow on them, so I poked around trying to see where they went then noticed a place, which would have been 15-18 yards from where I was sitting, behind a row of brush OVERLOOKING exactly where I was sitting and there it was ........ CAT TRACKS and evidence of where it was laying.

If the noises I heard in the last half of my hike to the spot were, in fact, the cat following me, he would have settled in, and been watching me for well over an hour ..... contemplating what to do with me .... YIKES

So ......... if you don't think cats stalk people you are 100% wrong. I'm pretty sure if that cat wanted me, I would have been in trouble with little or no time to react other than wrestle this thing, which would have sucked.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure my head was on a swivel the next 2 days hunting.

Last edited by EZM; 11-09-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:48 PM

Bessie, posted a day out hunting with his son.

It was meant to be read as a hunting story, nothing more.

Simply sharing time spent in the outdoors with his son.

It's sad to see some can't simply read his recollections for what they
are and enjoy.

Nothing wrong, nothing illeal, no one hurt. From what Bessie posted I
shouldn't even have to type this line of text.

He told us all about a great day on the mountain with his son.

Thanks Bessie.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I know the story. Just saying she got unlucky and probably did a lot of things in the previous 24-48 hrs a lot riskier than skiing in cougar country.

As I said...lots out there. Even more wolves. If they were as big a threat to humans as some seem to think there'd be a lot more dead humans.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I don't know how many people are killed by cougars, but to say they don't stalk people is simply not true. I'm not saying they will turn every stalk into an attack, and I'm not saying they won't follow you and "think about it" but there is plenty of video showing this behavior. It's unnerving and my experience rattled me.

I parked the truck in the early morning darkness, early season elk, my partner ventured one way, I went the other. I made my way up to a ridge about a mile above the road following a game trail, in fresh snow, to get to a lookout point where I could glass as the sun came up.

I wanted to get up and over before day break, but didn't want to push any game out. The last half of the walk I slowed down, walking slowly, stopping occasionally, using a red light sparingly only in the darkest parts of the trail, and picking my way carefully up the trail.

At some point I "thought" I had heard something - stopping to listen - nothing. A few minutes later and another 100-150 yards, again, something made me stop and look around, but the sun was just coming up and it was far too dark to see anything. A little strange - but I chalked it up to creepy darkness playing with my mind.

I got the spot where I wanted to set up, in a small grove of trees, put my pack down and grabbed my sitting pad and settled in to wait for the sun to finish coming up.

Over the next hour or so, at least twice, I turned around thinking I had heard something behind me, and a little unsettled, I just chalked it up to my mind playing with me.

Another hour passed, and I'd calmed back down, the sun was high enough that I was glassing sections down and below me and I was thinking about where to set up next when I heard a distinct noise behind me and jumped up, spun around and heard a crash up above me and to my left. I looked in that direction but did not see a thing. My heart was beating out of my chest. There was definitely something there.

At this point, I'm frozen for a minute trying to figure out what just happened, and I decided I need to move anyways, told myself .... "it was probably just a deer or elk that came up behind me, caught my scent and took off".

So with shaky hands and knocking knees, I pack up and head back up in that direction to catch the trail that winds behind the ridge and continue to a new spot.

I follow my tracks in the fresh snow, and 20 yards back I am frozen, I look down to see cat tracks that clearly followed me in and then veered off to my left and above me) where I heard the noise. I was shocked. I snapped the safety of my rifle at that point and followed those tracks and could see a place where the cat had laid down, then continued, as the tracks kept going around, there was an area where the rocks and hillside had less snow on them, so I poked around trying to see where they went then noticed a place, which would have been 15-18 yards from where I was sitting, behind a row of brush OVERLOOKING exactly where I was sitting and there it was ........ CAT TRACKS and evidence of where it was laying.

If the noises I heard in the last half of my hike to the spot were, in fact, the cat following me, he would have settled in, and been watching me for well over an hour ..... contemplating what to do with me .... YIKES

So ......... if you don't think cats stalk people you are 100% wrong. I'm pretty sure if that cat wanted me, I would have been in trouble with little or no time to react other than wrestle this thing, which would have sucked.

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure my head was on a swivel the next 2 days hunting.

That'd get a guys attention huh? No need for another cup of coffee.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post

are and enjoy.

Thanks Bessie.
Your very right I should of not put up that post,I believe Bessie 100 percent because cougars will stalk humans and I know that from years ago. And yes it was a good story.

JD
Old 11-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

are and enjoy.

Thanks Bessie.

Agreed!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:

are and enjoy.

Thanks Bessie.
Yes it is Bessie story and he wrote it as it was, nothing about being stalked he said the cougar was coming looking for the 2 fighting bucks. This is the way it is in most cases people out calling for deer elk or moose often covered in scent of what there trying to find and something comes out like a cougar wolf or bear doing nothing but looking for the food source it thinks is there.
It is the human that changes it all and says there being stalked for it sounds better, when that is not the case at all.
Bessie had a great day out with his son as you mentioned and got to see wildlife doing what it does.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Yes it is Bessie story and he wrote it as it was, nothing about being stalked he said the cougar was coming looking for the 2 fighting bucks. This is the way it is in most cases people out calling for deer elk or moose often covered in scent of what there trying to find and something comes out like a cougar wolf or bear doing nothing but looking for the food source it thinks is there.
It is the human that changes it all and says there being stalked for it sounds better, when that is not the case at all.
Bessie had a great day out with his son as you mentioned and got to see wildlife doing what it does.
The thing is, none of the people here would be happy to become a ''food source'' for those animals .
That's it .
S12
Old 11-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Well just called in a cougar myself this morning now the sudden drop in deer sign in a normally good spot makes sense
Old 11-11-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
perhaps there is a cougar that will friend you long time

👍