Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 03:36 PM

Default First Overnight Ice Fishing Trip

Over the holidays I finally got out on the ice and slept overnight in my ice fishing tent. I was really out of excuses, the weather was nice and I had all the gear I could need. I was still a bit nervous though.

I found out it was actually really comfortable. And there was no boredom since I could be fishing while doing literally anything else. It was pretty enjoyable!

So if you haven't tried an overnighter, why not?

And if you have - whats the one thing you always have to bring to make the whole experience? A good book? Flask of your favorite perhaps?

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/f...ng-expedition/
Old 01-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Sounds like ya had a good outing.Thanks for posting your story as I fish Pigeon all the time. It’s always good to see others adventures I’m happy for all that do an overnight stay but in my case I would be miserable if I got woke up every 20 minutes catching a fish. I realize that you don’t have to have your line down while you’re sleeping but it defeats the point of staying out there. Also an insulated tent is a must because mine isn’t and it ices up or starts raining when the temperature drops.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:27 PM

i would definitely love to try this one day. I fish outside most of the time.

No tent large enough lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-18-2020, 12:24 AM

Nice. Fishing at night is actually a peaceful time on the lake. Lingcod and the odd pike at night too.

I have fished all night but not really camped on the ice because I never had a sleeping bag and didn't sleep. A Pigeon lake constable did walk out to my tent about 11 pm to see if everything was ok. He saw my tent from shore and thought I maybe gassed myself, being 6 hours after sunset.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-18-2020, 07:55 AM

Good on you. I have been fortunate to spend two nights on the ice in my tent so far this year. Just takes a little planning and a lot of gear. I was filleting a walleye on my tailgate when a sled pulled up and suggested I might want to stop. I replied why is that?
He said are you going to eat that here. I replied yes I am as I measured it for him. He then said okay some people do not realize you can't transport slot fish in fillets. He agreed that there is nothing like fresh fish cooked right away. While we were eating the walleye, the perch started biting. What a trip!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200104_132242.jpg (43.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 20200104_193525.jpg (31.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 01-18-2020, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That is a great set up....and yup isn't it funny when you start to eat the bite is on.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That is a great set up....and yup isn't it funny when you start to eat the bite is on.....

Lol, it always seems to be that way doesn’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Sounds like ya had a good outing.Thanks for posting your story as I fish Pigeon all the time. It’s always good to see others adventures I’m happy for all that do an overnight stay but in my case I would be miserable if I got woke up every 20 minutes catching a fish. I realize that you don’t have to have your line down while you’re sleeping but it defeats the point of staying out there. Also an insulated tent is a must because mine isn’t and it ices up or starts raining when the temperature drops.
I didn't end up fishing all night. Only when I woke up would I drop a line down for 10-15 minutes. I didn't want to risk losing anything down the hole and i was so bundled up in my sleeping bag I wouldn't be able to get to the rod in time anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Good on you. I have been fortunate to spend two nights on the ice in my tent so far this year. Just takes a little planning and a lot of gear. I was filleting a walleye on my tailgate when a sled pulled up and suggested I might want to stop. I replied why is that?
He said are you going to eat that here. I replied yes I am as I measured it for him. He then said okay some people do not realize you can't transport slot fish in fillets. He agreed that there is nothing like fresh fish cooked right away. While we were eating the walleye, the perch started biting. What a trip!!!!
That's excellent! I love cooking fresh fish on the ice. I was curious how the law would handle cooking slot size fish with tags on the ice. I haven't tried that one yet. I did have F&W come check on me in the morning too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Lol, it always seems to be that way doesn’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing I don't do is eat enough while fishing. I'm just too busy staring at the flasher or thinking about the next lure or spot to check out. Once I'm back on the highway I realize I'm starving!
Old 01-22-2020, 05:05 PM

The first time I did an overnighter we left our lines in. Last time I ever did that, burbot do not sleep and woke us up every hour. We did catch a Walleye but a good sleep is more important.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:14 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
The first time I did an overnighter we left our lines in. Last time I ever did that, burbot do not sleep and woke us up every hour. We did catch a Walleye but a good sleep is more important.
depends on what your priorities are....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2020, 05:17 PM

Yes but heading up after working a night shift made the first day a long one. No more night shifts for me now. Might change my mind only if the fish do not bite during the day which rarely happens.