Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
No bribes needed to come fish or net. PM me.
Hi Sundancefisher,

I'm interested in joining this weekend if you have any spots left. Have waders and a small fishing net. Tried to PM you, but your inbox seems to be full. Send me a PM if you have room for me. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:24 PM

Anyone interested in helping with the seine netting at Lake Sundance this Sunday May 6th at 1:00, PM Sundancefisher. You will need to bring rubber nets, waders if possible and buckets/tubs to haul perch away. When you arrive at the Lake Office, inform the staff you are with the perch netting.

Quote:

If anyone wants buckets of perch...hundreds of pounds worth...I will be setting up a seine netting event right after ice out. Could be this coming weekend or next. Ice is very close to going off. Another warm day with wind could do it.

Need a guys with sandals (not afraid of the cold) or hip waders. Need lots of fine mesh dip nets. May need to make a run to bass pro.

The net is 150 feet long by 14 feet high and 1/4 inch mesh. It gets laid parallel to shore with ropes on both ends. Ropes get pull to shore and everything gets scooped along. Some trout will go up and over. Once to shore the fish will ge concentrated in the water. Each scoop has perch going into tubs and buckets. Trout returned to the lake. Then repeat.

I expect 1000-10,000 perch per pull.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 PM

So while Sundancefisher is away at camp, he can not access his PM messages, so if anyone is interested in netting perch this Sunday, you can PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
Anyone interested in helping with the seine netting at Lake Sundance this Sunday May 6th at 1:00, PM Sundancefisher. You will need to bring rubber nets, waders if possible and buckets/tubs to haul perch away. When you arrive at the Lake Office, inform the staff you are with the perch netting.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:53 PM

Update, there are tons of perch in the shallows so tomorrow’s netting should be really good. Thanks to the people that Pm’d me and if anyone wants to just drop in tomorrow at 1:00 remember to bring waders, nets with rubber netting and buckets to take fish home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
So while Sundancefisher is away at camp, he can not access his PM messages, so if anyone is interested in netting perch this Sunday, you can PM me.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 PM

Thank you Sundancefisher and badback for inviting us. I had a great time! Those little perch sure tasted good. I had so many that I gave up filleting after a while and buried the rest for compost. I took home only about a third full bucket...but it had over 200 perches. I figure a full bucket would contain about 500 to 600 so we must have slayed over 5000 yesterday. You guys are blessed to live in such a beautiful community. Thank you again!

Last edited by jeek93; 05-07-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeek93 View Post
Thank you Sundancefisher and badback for inviting us. I had a great time! Those little perch sure tasted good. I had so many that I gave up filleting after a while and buried the rest for compost. I took home only about a third full bucket...but it had over 200 perches. I figure a full bucket would contain about 500 to 600 so we must have slayed over 5000 yesterday. You guys are blessed to live in such a beautiful community. Thank you again!
Thanks Jeek93 it was good meeting you and the other members from the form. It was cool seeing aviador's boys go for swim since the water wasn't that warm but they did it. Here are a couple of pics of netting and if anyone would like to try this, we need at least 6 people to handle the net (150 feet long).

Old 05-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Yes, as Jeek93 said, thank you Badback and Sundance Fisher. Great to meet everyone and what a wonderful way to spend the day, the boys had a blast while we were netting and the wife was happy that the only thing she could do was relax and soak up some sun!
I cleaned fish for two days but did them all! About 15-16 pounds of fillets we figured.....
Thanks again and look forward to joining you again someday.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Looks like fun! Other than fileting a 4in perch of course
Old 12-17-2018, 04:06 PM

Getting close to ice fishing perch bonking season. Actually caught a few 9-10 inch perch this year. Between thinning them out hard in the immediate area plus stocking browns and brooks to eat the little perch I am optimistic on fishing.

It is cool catching a perch followed by a rainbow followed by a brook followed by a brown.

Got to observe them under water interacting. Browns swim with some rainbows. Brooks tend to hang on their own. Rainbows stay schooled well after stocking.

Perch are freaked out by the trout. Brooks are very aggressive feeding on the bottom and are first to notice food on the surface but are slower to swim to surface. When they do they slurp. Rainbows power through food at the surface.

After stocking browns, brooks and rainbows one will need to get down to the bottom fast to catch perch. I am thinking of using a hali jig (perch colour) as a weight again with a chartreuse jig below.

Can hardly wait.

Tight lines everyone!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-18-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Getting close to ice fishing perch bonking season. Actually caught a few 9-10 inch perch this year. Between thinning them out hard in the immediate area plus stocking browns and brooks to eat the little perch I am optimistic on fishing.

It is cool catching a perch followed by a rainbow followed by a brook followed by a brown.

Got to observe them under water interacting. Browns swim with some rainbows. Brooks tend to hang on their own. Rainbows stay schooled well after stocking.

Perch are freaked out by the trout. Brooks are very aggressive feeding on the bottom and are first to notice food on the surface but are slower to swim to surface. When they do they slurp. Rainbows power through food at the surface.

After stocking browns, brooks and rainbows one will need to get down to the bottom fast to catch perch. I am thinking of using a hali jig (perch colour) as a weight again with a chartreuse jig below.

Can hardly wait.

Tight lines everyone!
Stocked brook trout and brown trout in the Spring 2018. Stocked about 2000 rainbows in the Fall. We have it catch and release for trout as we monitor numbers and catch rates.

FAMILY PERCH FISHING DERBY is February 23, 2019 subject to weather. If you live in the community come on out for family, fishing, friends, fun and food. There will be trophies and prizes geared towards fishing and the outdoors. I am also likely to retain the 4 age categories for kids and one for adults.

Each resident household can invite their guest limit but must be with them the whole day.

No power augers but tents and heaters are ok.

Start planning now. Every year we get more people.

Cheers

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-31-2018, 09:39 AM

Sweet. Ice fishing is now open. Thinking of a perch bonking frenzy tomorrow Jan 1. PM me if interested in coming out.

Let me know if you want to keep all the perch you can, selectively take the biggest or take none. I have a buddy who will take any he can to feed to his dogs frozen whole.

Cheers

Sun
Old 12-31-2018, 03:20 PM

Could probably let them freeze and run em through a big grinder like a bear outfitter friend did with whole beaver refrozen would make awesome fish meal.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 12-31-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Could probably let them freeze and run em through a big grinder like a bear outfitter friend did with whole beaver refrozen would make awesome fish meal.
They do taste good. Just at 6, 7, 8 inch they are a bit to clean.

Can't use whole perch as bear bait unfortunately. Against regs.

Caught a number today however they were very fickle. Needed a very small jig fished still 2 inches from bottom.

Hopefully with the warm weather tomorrow they will be more aggressive.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:04 PM

Chaparral is also infested with perch now. We have been killing hundreds dauly
Old 12-31-2018, 10:18 PM

Wish somebody would start illegally dumping perch into lakes around Edmonton! Anybody want to bring me a cooler or 2 full from Calgary lol I'd pay a few bucks for it! Heck, I'd even drive an hr south to meet you!
Old 12-31-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
Wish somebody would start illegally dumping perch into lakes around Edmonton! Anybody want to bring me a cooler or 2 full from Calgary lol I'd pay a few bucks for it! Heck, I'd even drive an hr south to meet you!
Watch the local Superstore. A while ago I saw yellow perch fillets for sale in the frozen section at Superstore on 51 ave. and Calgary Trail. Only saw them once there.

Time to build a dugout at the farm and stock some European yellow perch.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
I know this post is in jest as illegal perch stocking is destroying fisheries all over.

There are a number of lakes around Edmonton with illegally stocked perch.

They are terrible perch fisheries due to stunting.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I know this post is in jest as illegal perch stocking is destroying fisheries all over.

There are a number of lakes around Edmonton with illegally stocked perch.

They are terrible perch fisheries due to stunting.
It was a joke. By no means am I encouraging anyone to illegally "Add" perch to any lakes. You'd think that would be common sense but I realize the problem with common sense is that it isn't so common these days.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 PM

To bonk perch this weekend or not bonk perch. That is the question.

Found a perch a minute spot last Sunday. Kids and adults alike were lobbing perch all around.

Youngers were really into it.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 AM

I am itching for a big perch bonking day tomorrow.

Anyone like eating perch?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:20 AM

I would be more than happy to take out a couple of perch with you! When are you thinking?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvers749 View Post
I would be more than happy to take out a couple of perch with you! When are you thinking?
Probably lookto start fishing between 9-10 am. Fish till late if we wanted. Caught perch after work till 7 last night. Was getting nippy out after 6.

Caught 7 after I found a spot. 2 were 8 inchers. Fat females ful of eggs.
PM your phone number and we can text the plans.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 PM

Likely the last weekend to ice fish on our lake. Ice is thick but melting fast.

Perch catch rates are down and trout catch rates are up.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 PM

I sure wish you guys could team with Alberta Fisheries since you are already doing all the work to take all those perch and dump them into say Pigeon lake or some other lake that we need to re establish a perch population. You've collected them, they just need to drive the tank truck their, load em up and drive to the lake and dump them in. I wish Alberta fisheries were more creative like most other States and Provinces. They just don't seem to have a creative bone in their bodies here.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I sure wish you guys could team with Alberta Fisheries since you are already doing all the work to take all those perch and dump them into say Pigeon lake or some other lake that we need to re establish a perch population. You've collected them, they just need to drive the tank truck their, load em up and drive to the lake and dump them in. I wish Alberta fisheries were more creative like most other States and Provinces. They just don't seem to have a creative bone in their bodies here.
We can now that we tested negative for whirling disease.

Could now catch thousands of perch to stock local put and take perch fisheries.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:12 PM

Sign me up
Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
We can now that we tested negative for whirling disease.

Could now catch thousands of perch to stock local put and take perch fisheries.
That would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-23-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
That would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I have 4 fyke nets and a large beach seine.

Fyke nets are best spring and fall and I need 6 able bodied volunteers as their is weight lifting involved. Need a transport truck with tanks.

We have caught from 500 to 4000 perch in a trap. All are catchable size.

Too bad we can’t put perch in the storm water ponds along Stoney Trail.

Heading out to catch perch.

If anyone is bored PM me. Get you out.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 AM

By the way, you're welcome on the idea of using stunted perch from urban lakes to stock other lakes.

Now lets see where the Bios could take a bunch of Perch to re establish a population.

Gull Lake, Sylvan Lake, Eagle Lake, Pigeon Lake, Wizard Lake, South Buck Lake, ....

And it would only cost the Province the wages they are paying staff anyway, and a tank of Diesel for the Truck.

Drewski
Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Ya let’s take genetically inferior perch prone to stunting to other lakes so we can continue the Albert tradition of **** perch lakes. Ya? How bout no. Genetic quality makes a big big difference.

30 years ago some perch were taken out of a lake I know with superior genetics. They were put into 2 other lakes close by (done by FW so don’t get ****y). All 3 of those lakes continue to produce astonishing 14”+ fish to this day even with the crazy pressure. Genetics+lake fertility+management = giants.