Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Nice article about 1885's

Bit of history on the Win/Browning 1885, good read.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/browni...03L665ACGXV2JY
Old 08-19-2020, 03:10 PM

As someone who has owned a few pre 1920 Highwalls and lots of Jap Browning single shots I can tell you that the one I own now is a far cry from the quality and wood that used to be put into them!
Cat
Old 08-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Default Haven;t seen

Rifle or Reloading magazines on the racks in a couple years?
Old 08-22-2020, 11:46 AM

What is the difference between between the low wall?

The high walls are heavy. Can the low walls shoot standard short action cartridges?

I know the low wall .260 version was only 6 something pounds.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As someone who has owned a few pre 1920 Highwalls and lots of Jap Browning single shots I can tell you that the one I own now is a far cry from the quality and wood that used to be put into them!
Cat

Unlike real life, guns are one place where old wood is usually superior wood. An 1885 I sold a few years back. Shot great but I was never all that fond of 243s.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:04 PM

I have one Browning that has some nice wood on it, I hear Win may have started putting some nice wood on again, haven't seen one yet though. I wonder if a person could get one run thru the custom shop at Browning to get one built with nice wood, unless Win has their own custom shop. If you wanted to spend the loot on doing that. Damned near have to do that to get one now anyway.
Win marketing on the centerfire low wall evades my sense of logic. They sold well it would seem, not like they build them themselves and would have to do something weird with production to build them. I wonder if there is a head dia restriction on the low wall barrels? Not that a cartridge any bigger than the 473 head is really needed in one. Certainly could compete better with Ruger on them.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I have one Browning that has some nice wood on it, I hear Win may have started putting some nice wood on again, haven't seen one yet though. I wonder if a person could get one run thru the custom shop at Browning to get one built with nice wood, unless Win has their own custom shop. If you wanted to spend the loot on doing that. Damned near have to do that to get one now anyway.
Win marketing on the centerfire low wall evades my sense of logic. They sold well it would seem, not like they build them themselves and would have to do something weird with production to build them. I wonder if there is a head dia restriction on the low wall barrels? Not that a cartridge any bigger than the 473 head is really needed in one. Certainly could compete better with Ruger on them.
This always bewildered me as well..
I can see maybe the older low walls of the vintage period but the newer Jap models?
I'll ask Ron the highwall guru tomorrow and see what he says - if he answers the phone!
Cat