Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Tikka T3 stock is cracked

Good day all,

I have a Tikka T3 300w, Im not to sure if its worth while trying to phone Tikka to see if they will replace the stock or try to find a Boyd stock.

The stock is cracked behind the bolt shield and is about 2" long.

Was also wondering if I did go with a Boyd stock route, does anyone know who would be the best bet in the Calgary area to buy one from? Or is ordering online the best route?

Thanks for any input
Old 09-02-2019, 10:15 AM

Wood or composite?

If looking at aftermarket, give Wildcat a call. Made in Alberta and reasonably priced for a quality stock. He will even bed the stock for you if you wish.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowering View Post
Good day all,

I have a Tikka T3 300w, Im not to sure if its worth while trying to phone Tikka to see if they will replace the stock or try to find a Boyd stock.

The stock is cracked behind the bolt shield and is about 2" long.

Was also wondering if I did go with a Boyd stock route, does anyone know who would be the best bet in the Calgary area to buy one from? Or is ordering online the best route?

Thanks for any input
Order online.
look at buying an aftermarket steel or titanium recoil key, and a glass bedding kit too.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Banned

Lots of used tikka stocks around. Both wood or plastic. Check the gun nuts website.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Wood or composite?

If looking at aftermarket, give Wildcat a call. Made in Alberta and reasonably priced for a quality stock. He will even bed the stock for you if you wish.
Mine is the grey laminate stock
Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Order online.
look at buying an aftermarket steel or titanium recoil key, and a glass bedding kit too.
Awesome thank you, I will look into that!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Banned

Just buy a wildcat stock.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Has anyone here ran the Mountain Tactical products? Im thinking it would also be nice to buy a kit that came with a few more upgrades.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowering View Post
Mine is the grey laminate stock
You could likley repair it stronger than new. Or a gunsmith could. Pin it, then bed it.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Just buy a wildcat stock.
I only considered Boyds because they offer a thumb hole stock
Old 09-02-2019, 10:45 AM

I have used a few of the Mountain Tactical products. I have also used Lumley Arms for their titanium recoil lug & pillars which I got from Coretac from Ontario.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Of course Wildcat is very nice. Another quick option is to call up Prophet River and they will have a Bell & Carlson to your door. They are good stocks and will make recoil more manageable, not that you were complaining about that anyhow.

https://store.prophetriver.com/stocks/tikka/

I don't mind Boyd's, but they are heavy. They do take some time to get here. To add a bit of "checkering", a recoil pad, US conversion, and shipping puts you at a decent penny. Plus the wait.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Of course Wildcat is very nice. Another quick option is to call up Prophet River and they will have a Bell & Carlson to your door. They are good stocks and will make recoil more manageable, not that you were complaining about that anyhow.

I don't mind Boyd's, but they are heavy. They do take some time to get here. To add a bit of "checkering", a recoil pad, US conversion, and shipping puts you at a decent penny. Plus the wait.
Thanks for the link, they defiantly have some nice stocks for sure and having them ship it fast is also a bonus as well.

I havent seen any Boyd stocks yet and dont really want or need the extra weight either.

Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I have used a few of the Mountain Tactical products. I have also used Lumley Arms for their titanium recoil lug & pillars which I got from Coretac from Ontario.
What did you like better about the Lumley? Was also looking at them as well.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:21 AM

One nice thing about the B&C stocks for a T-3, is that the recoil lug is a part of the bedding block, it can't loosen or move around.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Lumley came as a bedding kit with pillars and lug & at the time MT didn't have these available. I am happy with both companies products.

My son also uses a B&C stock on his Tikka and it is a nice improvement. If I remember correctly the B&C stocks have an integrated aluminum recoil lug so it can't be changed out. I may be wrong.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Lumley came as a bedding kit with pillars and lug & at the time MT didn't have these available. I am happy with both companies products.

My son also uses a B&C stock on his Tikka and it is a nice improvement. If I remember correctly the B&C stocks have an integrated aluminum recoil lug so it can't be changed out. I may be wrong.
Right on! I am liking the sound of the B&C stock more and more. Seems to be more favorable and better in the long run, and cheaper..

Really appreciate all the input everyone, thank you!
Old 09-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Default stock

Contact where you bought it for a replacement. I know a guy that had the same deal with a T3 in .338mag They are too light to handle magnum recoil IMO.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Contact where you bought it for a replacement. I know a guy that had the same deal with a T3 in .338mag They are too light to handle magnum recoil IMO.
That's what I keep reading as well.. So it almost seems to be better to go with an aftermarket stock and avoid the issue from happening again. I think I will still give a dealer a call later this week to see if they can do something for me or not.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:00 PM

I have a number of Boyds on everything from a 375H&H to a 22RF, I love them they fit me great. I like the Thumbholes for bench but prefer a standard profile for hunting, that being said I have a P14 458WM with a Bishop thumbhole on it, it works but not my favorite for a big game rifle. I picked up most of my Boyds stocks used for about $150. My only bitch on them is the recoil pads have to go they are hard as a rock. Replaced mine with Limbsavers which is a trial and error fitting process. I pulled the factory pad and used it as a pattern and then started comparing.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
One nice thing about the B&C stocks for a T-3, is that the recoil lug is a part of the bedding block, it can't loosen or move around.
Quote:

I put aftermarket B&C stocks on all my Tikka big game hunting rifles. Huge improvement over the factory stocks, especially the synthetic. They are well made and definitely help with recoil in the heavier calibers. Prophet River carries a selection and ship very quickly. Highly recommend both B&C and PR.