Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-29-2015, 10:56 AM

Default Project Rifle Advice

I am interested in buying a rifle with intentions of customizing it a bit as a little project with the goal being a rifle that I can hunt with (deer, elk, moose) as well as increase the accuracy for some longer range target shooting. This will be my first rifle project and i would like to do it on a budget of not too far north of $1000 (not including optics). I intend to change stock, barrel, trigger and keep it relatively basic for my first gun project. Any advice on action/caliber, or starting platform/model would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 11-29-2015, 11:21 AM

You will need more than 1000.....a new barrel alone will be 6 to 700 or more...
Old 11-29-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
You will need more than 1000.....

x2 .. for sure , but well worth the additional $$
Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 AM

And once your done....spending all that money, you will never get it back on resale......

My 338 Ruger I'm into for perhaps $1200...with just some minor mods...and I'd half to sell it for about half the price of a brand new off the shelf Ruger if I ever wanted to get rid of it....

Just be aware of this before you start.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:05 PM

We probably should consider that the current retail gun prices in Canada include foreign currency exchange rates (about 35%) plus shipping charges, and Distributor and Dealer mark ups ( another 35%). What are these guns really worth as compared to the used market ?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:08 PM

No need to go changing a barrel in my opinion. I'd buy a Tikka, change the stock, bolt handle and shroud, lighten the trigger and call it a day!
You will need about $1500 if you buy a new rifle but if you find the right deal you could save by buying a used one.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Tikka T3 if you can.

Look in the BUy/Sell forum here on AO or on CGN for a used rifle, save some $$$ and spend it on a better scope.

If you want a gun that shoots good but a really sloppy action, go Savage.

Don't think you will be under $1000....maybe under $ 2000
As for semi custom, my barrel was like $ 600-650 plus fluting plus powdercoating , PLUS the donor rifle (Sako m75 Greywolf) plus scope.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:25 PM

Just ordered an aftermarket CM sporter barrel .... $587.00 all in ... If it is a shooter, I will paint it myself, but to have it cerakoted would probably add another $100.00. I expect the chambering to add another $250.00 (that includes shipping/insurance).
Old 11-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Banned

You could also buy used from one of the thousands of fellows that built their own , only to become bored, and wish to sell for a fraction of what they have in them.LOL
Old 11-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
You could also buy used from one of the thousands of fellows that built their own , only to become bored, and wish to sell for a fraction of what they have in them.LOL
Smart fella....LOL
Old 11-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselj19 View Post
I am interested in buying a rifle with intentions of customizing it a bit as a little project with the goal being a rifle that I can hunt with (deer, elk, moose) as well as increase the accuracy for some longer range target shooting. This will be my first rifle project and i would like to do it on a budget of not too far north of $1000 (not including optics). I intend to change stock, barrel, trigger and keep it relatively basic for my first gun project. Any advice on action/caliber, or starting platform/model would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
I bought a Remington 700 sps tactical with threaded muzzle cost me 800$ brand new , I put high end chassis and scope better trigger and it shoots sub .5" moa at 100 yards
Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 PM

As with almost everything once you buy it the price went down so just the norm. And if I was choosing the caliber I would probably choose the .243 just because it will kill almost anything but will still save the fur on varmints and has pretty good accuracy out to 1000yd.

Anthony
Old 11-29-2015, 06:52 PM

My first question would be what rifles do you currently own?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 11-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Only rifle that meets your needs without needing to visit a gunsmith would be a savage.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 PM

First you need to decide what cartridge you would want that would be suitable to hunt deer, elk, moose etc.
Then try and find a donor action within that same cartridge family.
My first Semi-custom was a Rem 700 in .280 Rem, and after changing just the stock and bedding it i was up to $600. Add a barrel and labour and your almost to $1200 altogether... not including the original price of your donor action/ rifle.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:28 PM

I built a 35 Whelen on a Savage action. Picked up a used 30-06 Trophy hunter for $300. Spent $500 on a 22 inch semi-bull, stainless shilen barrel and bought the head space gauges then went to work. This was the first time I had ever done any gun customization and I loved it. I bought my barrel through Jerry at Mystic Precision and he helped me through a lot of the stuff. The savages are easy to play around with and the Go/No go gauges are a super easy to do the head spacing with. I built mine because I wanted a 35 Whelen and there are minimal to be had. I had to sand the barrel channel on the Tupperware stock to maitain the free-float and the gun shoots true half moa (or less). I took my cow elk with it this year. 230 yard shot with a Barnes 225grain over IMR 4064. The bullet smashed through a rib on the way in and the way out. No bullet to recover, LOL. Initially I was going to put on a Boyds stock but after seeing how well it shoots of the bench, I thought there was no point. I did put a Limbs recoil pad on it but otherwise just a great barrel on a Savage action Good luck with your build!