Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Something I found useful to start with, was Kaufman's Nymph tying book. He set it up to teach techniques in progression, along with some useful flies.
And techniques are what needs to be learned first. There may be others set up that way, that was what I happened to use.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
I build mine from guitar strings.
Don
Guitar strings! got some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
You may even look at the hair on your cat or dog, the neighbor's wabbit and the girlfriend's pet budgies or wuvboids could be missing parts shortly.
Clippers-Check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
For them really tiny flies, a light with a magnifier on it can help if your eyes play tricks on ya!
Where's that damn "e" key.............never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
What do you mean by "storage cases"? For hooks and beads? Or fly boxes?
Hooks and beads, etc, etc, etc, etc.......

I have no doubt that the cost will add up but it's just a couple of bucks here and there to the point you end up with a stock pile of good sh*t and probably a bunch of not so good sh....stuff. I'm OK with that. Every hobby goes that way doesn't it? At least that's what my wife tells me

So considering that the vise could be more economical than $150, does the $400 starting cost seem like a reasonable estimate? With another $100 in the first year? Just trying to set a benchmark for other beginners too.

Some great advice and sources, thanks. I will be on the hunt after I pull the pin on a vise, but I think I'll wait until after the expo.

Any good info on hackle? How to chose it, quality, different uses, how to separate it? I'll search the web and see what comes up.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Here's a link to a small write up about choosing a vise. These guys definitely know their stuff and I find myself visitng their site more and more as they have amazing video tutorials and the patterns they come up with keep blowing my mind. I probably have 10-15 of their patterns tied up that I use regularly.

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/02/t...-vise.html?m=1

As for hackle they have another write up comparing a number of brands. There is a lot of information in this article and it might be a bit overwhelming but it's a good read.

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/09/h...isons.html?m=1

Hope these articles help!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Tks to several folks for links and info about hackle. Found this one that helped me quite a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZxoSMClQM
Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 AM

A tip for the future:

Make/keep a running list of required materials, especially hooks/beads, that you take to the store. Don't know if it is my age showing, but it's annoying to buy a pack of #12 hooks on three separate occasions, when what you need is #14's!

And yes, your budget is reasonable for starting out. Something to consider is buying a variety of sizes for each hook you use: important for dries and nymphs where the size of the natural changes through the season; such as BWOs on the Bow (14-18).
Old 01-10-2015, 12:18 PM

I appreciate the tip but I forgetting stuff hasn't started to happen yet.

I appreciate the tip but I forgetting stuff hasn't started to happen yet.

Who said that?

I actually expect to buy significantly more material than I need each time to build the stock. Hooks for sure.