Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 AM

Default In search of fly tying books

As the title states I would appreciate some advice on the better books to buy. As well, if guys have books kicking around they could part with feel free to pm me. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:12 AM

The books authored by Tom Rosenbauer are very informative and thorough with his step by step and tying techniques. I highly recommend looking up some of his books.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:26 AM

this is a decent online resource.

http://flyanglersonline.com/
Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Smile

Phil Rowley has some great books on fly tying. Some of his do have step by step instructions in them. One of Phils that I like the best is Fly Patterns for Stillwaters. A study of trout entomology and tying. It does have some step by step instructions.

There is another good one called Fly Pattern Encyclopedia by Al and Gretchen Beatty. It's got probably 1000 different patterns in it. So a good variety. No step by step. But it won't take you long to figure out what steps are needed to tie a variety of flies.

Edited to add. That of course You Tube is probably your best source these days for step by step instructions. Not only do you get step by step instructions. But you also get commentary. There are a few people that I would recommend you look at. Todd Oishi, Sport Fishing On The Fly, and as above Phil Rowley has some good videos as well. There are thousands more as well. So find a fly you like and type it in and see who is tying it and follow along.

Good luck and tight lines.

Last edited by Kingfisher; 12-11-2014 at 07:23 PM.