Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Bought my 5 yr old rod? Good idea?

Guys and Gals,
So as it says I bought my 5year old a fly fishing rod. A kid model from wholesale sports redington minnow. He's fished in northern saskatchewan for two years using a spin cast and loves it from a boat. My plan is to take him to a small stream and let him chuck fly upstream, lift it and throw again. Kind of just drift, chuck it back up stream; Eliminating back and forth casting for now. I know that some of you would say to take him to pond and that might be an option, but I really don't want to put him in boat or anything else like that for now. So...some help?
1. Is he too young and should I scrap this plan for a year or two?

2. Do you have any other recommendations (preferably not spin casting).

3. Can you recommend any small streams around the Calgary/Okotoks area that would have lots of littler fish that are eager. I realize guys don't give up their spots but maybe for little fish it would be different. I usually do old man, Livingston a bit, highwood, and a bit of sheep. I realize these all produce good fish, but I was hoping to find little fish and lots to keep his interest. Seems to be me I went to upper upper old man one year and I could be wrong but there were a lot of little fish. West of the forestry trunk road. Don't actually remember and it was when I first moved here...awhile ago.

4. As a last resort, any easy ponds to take him to. Is it okay for him to chuck a fly out and just let it sit there.

I'd rather not nymph with him just because I think he would love to see the fish come and take the fly. Maybe I'm wrong. Nymphing would be a similar experience to the fishing he does in saskatchewan. My opinion.

Anyway, any help and if you think I'm nutso for thinking of doing this, then let me know.....gently.

I guess I should have mentioned it would be for this coming spring/summer of course. Just trying to get a head start for next year.

Thanks
Don
Old 12-07-2014, 09:35 PM

Not sure where in Calgary you live in but the kids can catch pond by the fish hatchery in Calgary is a good place to take a kid, it's very shallow and you can see the fish in there so if he doesn't catch anything seeing the fish may keep him entertained.
I should say that I haven't been there since before the flood so I have no idea if it survived or not.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Actually live in Okotoks. Never heard of this pond. I can just probably search it out on the web? Location etc
Old 12-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachey View Post
Actually live in Okotoks. Never heard of this pond. I can just probably search it out on the web? Location etc
The Kids can Catch pond is located at the Bow Habitat Station just north of 17th Avenue/Blackfoot trail.

Seeing you live in Okotoks, find a quite spot on the Sheep river and get him casting there. The Highwood is close to you as well, he can try his luck for some cutthroat trout

Other places could down the Forestry trunk Road southwest of you and the chain lakes
Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Banned

Cool

5 may be a little early . flinging a hook around requires a level of focus and control. I was attempting fly casting with spining gear at 10 and finally got my own kit at 12. however it was of my own doing and I had the determination to learn on my own . I had the advantage of living on a world class salmon river so getting a fish was not that tough (chum&pinks).
Be careful the little guy has to wear glasses once hes good with keeping them on on his own no reason he cant learn imo he has to want to learn, you will have a time teaching him . Best of luck tight lines wee man . The pond mentioned is a great place to start.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 AM

I think it depends on the kid. I got my boy on when he was 5, what a nightmare! we brought it out again this spring when he was 8. He wanted to listen and learn, now he throws 30' no problem. On the flip side of the coin, his younger brother (6yrs old), watched him and wanted to try it too. Brody was willing to listen and started throwing line right away.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:03 AM

My girl took interest in going fishing at two. She didn't want to cast until she was just about 4. She was able to cast my 9'. Six weight rod...kind of. This year for Xmas she is getting a 5'6" 2 weight rod and safety glasses. we tried a small spinning rod which we still have but as far as I can see a spinning rod is just to complicated for her. With the fly rod all I have to do is pull out enough line for her and she can start casting .
Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Not a problem at all. I started at 5 y/o, with a old Shakespeare pack rod. Fished deer hair dry flys that I 'tied' myself, flip em out and let them sit. Newly stocked ponds are full of eager trout that will hit anything. Great memories, even 25 years later.

It's all about the personality of the individual kid. I love the outdoors and had (....have) a stubborn streak, so a few tangles and missed strikes didn't dampen the experience. Grandpa was there to guide, untangle, and encourage... And knew when to sit back and watch.

Take your time, keep him well fed and hydrated, and success will follow.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Bought my son one of the little practice rods with the yarn line when he was two. He plays with it all the time and can cast quite good with it and goes fishing in the house almost every day (he's 3 now). I'm planning on taking him to a small creek this year. Only thing I see him having trouble with is letting the fly actually drift down.

Maybe an idea for you to get him used to the casting motion?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachey View Post
I'd rather not nymph with him just because I think he would love to see the fish come and take the fly. Maybe I'm wrong. Nymphing would be a similar experience to the fishing he does in saskatchewan. My opinion.
IMHO Dry fly vs nymph is dictated by situation more than preference. If the fish are feeding sub-surface and not rising, dry fly fishing might make for a boring afternoon for the tyke.

I've never taught a child to fly fish so don't have any proven advice for you. I have heard that Tenkara is good for kids. At least you don't have the reel and varying lengths of line to worry about. It's simpler. Might want to look into that. I wouldn't even bother buying the specialized equipment. Just take a normal smaller rod and attached a fixed length of an old fly line you have kicking around. Once he gets good at it, then throw on a reel and fly fish normally.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:02 AM

It is never too early to start kids with fishing in my opinion. I got an Echo Micro Practice Rod for my own use and my daughter who was three at the time quickly took to it. She started casting a kid's fly rod (Echo Gecko) when she was 4. By the time she was seven we could spend long afternoons fishing together on small streams. I make sure that when we are fishing together that the time is about her success and not my own. I make sure that we have lots of fun treats, that we take the time to turn over rocks, look at random cool things and not get too fixated on fishing only. I also make sure that my daughter always wears sunglasses, a hat, and a long sleeve shirt for protection form the sharp hooks and the sun.

As for locations, I have had success with her by finding small tributaries of larger southern Alberta streams. The fish are often small but plentiful. We have also had a great time together while floating the bow. A drift boat is a comfortable, stable, and safe platform for kids to experience a river like the Bow. My daughter has hooked fish from the boat with very short casts.

Congrats on getting you kid out there! Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Alrighty. Well thanks so much for all the suggestions/ideas. That definitely gives me ideas and proves maybe I'm not too far off. Well like suggested, it's about the kid's success and I will most certainly keep that at the forefront. I guess we will see how it goes this summer and how things go. Maybe it will go really well and maybe it will be horrible and we will try again in another year. Just wanted to know if I was crazy for trying this or not and it seems like I will give it a shot.
Thanks.

1. Any other trout ponds you can recommend...I know Allen bill is gone now. There used to be one off of highway 40 in kananaskis at one time? I think?

2.Also how do you know when the ponds are stocked? Is that on a website somewhere? Is there specific dates?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:28 PM

I guess I found a my wild alberta website that has some stocking. I guess just keep watching it to see the dates for 2015.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 PM

Have to add my 10 cents worth. My father gave me one of his old fly rods when I was 4 years old. We used to go to to Blairmore every summer and stay at my aunt and uncle's place. Their house was on the banks of the Crowsnest river. Dad used to tie a fly on to the leader for me and off I would go. The water on their stretch was ankle deep. I unknowingly knocked the end of the fly off in the first cast, however, the river was full of Rocky Mountain whitefish and they would keep rising and grabbing the fly. 55 years later and I'm still flogging the water. Can't thank my old man enough for involving me with fishing, flyfishing, guns and hunting.
I used to fish the sheep when I lived in Calgary. That would be nive and close for you. Show your son a basic cast and let him at it. It doesn't matter which way he casts (up, down or across), just get him out there doing it with Dad. It will last a lifetime for the both of you.
regards,
Gary
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanks Gary. You're right. Any time you spend with your kids is a good thing. Better than sitting around the house and watching tv or playing with them there electronic devices. Something to be said for the great outdoors...especially in our wonderful province.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Have to add my 10 cents worth. My father gave me one of his old fly rods when I was 4 years old. We used to go to to Blairmore every summer and stay at my aunt and uncle's place. Their house was on the banks of the Crowsnest river. Dad used to tie a fly on to the leader for me and off I would go. The water on their stretch was ankle deep. I unknowingly knocked the end of the fly off in the first cast, however, the river was full of Rocky Mountain whitefish and they would keep rising and grabbing the fly. 55 years later and I'm still flogging the water. Can't thank my old man enough for involving me with fishing, flyfishing, guns and hunting.
I used to fish the sheep when I lived in Calgary. That would be nive and close for you. Show your son a basic cast and let him at it. It doesn't matter which way he casts (up, down or across), just get him out there doing it with Dad. It will last a lifetime for the both of you.
regards,
Gary
x2 sounds like great advice, very true
Old 12-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Five is not too young; just be sure to let him set the pace. If he wants to learn to cast like a grownup, show him how. If he struggles with just flopping it around, let him know it is still fun. If he wants to back to the spincaster that's okay, too. Make it easy for him to enjoy it; be there for him, not for yourself. Ponds at Spruce Meadows are stocked every year, that's another great place to take a Very Small Person.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:31 PM

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. Have you considered trying a tenkara rod for your youngster? The rods are simple, light, sturdy, there is no reel to fiddle with and they pack up nice and small. I dont have any young ones of my own, but I've heard from others that they are excellent in helping teach the fundamentals of casting before stepping them up to a fully outfitted setup.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:07 PM

Smile rod for little kids -- great idea

Dad gave me my first rod when I was two.. along with a helium balloon set me free in the back yard to cast and reel.. push the button balloon goes up.. reel it in and start it again.. great fun and learnt what the button was for.. short time later casting was happening! soft objects at first.. but by the time I was three I had clear bobber and 6 inches of line casting flies for trout.. not sure exactly when I caught my first but was very young.

I say go for it.. maybe he'll turn out like me .. crazy about fishing!!

Carson
Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 PM

Smile Small brookie streams

Best place to get a kid interested in fly fishing, IMO, is one of many small streams stuffed with brook trout. It's often easy to sight fish, and they are usually very willing to take almost anything. Plus, my kid loves just playing around in the stream when she gets bored of fishing.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush View Post
Best place to get a kid interested in fly fishing, IMO, is one of many small streams stuffed with brook trout. It's often easy to sight fish, and they are usually very willing to take almost anything. Plus, my kid loves just playing around in the stream when she gets bored of fishing.
A place like Jp creek in kananaskis, always see brookies there,l ovely place to be
Old 12-15-2014, 12:01 AM

My daughter started about 4 she has a 6' rod she loves it
I got het a tfo practice rod and we made a school of rainbows out of craft fome and Velcro great way to have some fun.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:11 PM

3 Point creek near Millarville might work. It's small water and easy to cast across. Some areas would be harder to back cast due to the bushes but it's never too early to learn the roll cast either.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:16 PM

Took both my boys when they were five they are now 10 and 12 and fly fishing nuts all summer. Just make it fun for them with some casting games on the lawn.