Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 02:33 PM

Default Fly Fishing Big Pike

Hey I am going to be going on a trip up to the NWT in June and would like to take a fly rod for some pike. I have been fly-fishing for a number of years, mostly on the bow river and elk river, so I have the experience and I am willing to get into a good set up. Any suggestions on a good 8wt rod?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:42 PM

Hey bullwinkle,

Depending on your budget, the brands can vary. For a low budget I'd recommend the Echo Ion for a low budget. I started pike fishing on the Ion. For a little more expensive rod, check out the redington vapen rod. And even higher price, the Sage Bass rod, they are a bit short, but really fast action and would be a great rod for pike. You could also check out the Loop booster as well, which I really like personally. All great options!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:00 PM

X2 on the Ion! for something a bit more high end though I'd go grey's over Redington, but just cuz I'm personally not a huge Redington fan. Sage method or a loop would be my choice for top shelf.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-17-2014, 04:44 PM

X3 on the ion it's fast enough and won't break the bank. Get really good pike line designed for throwing big streamers. I bought scientific anglers sharkskin magnum 3 years ago never will use regular line for pike again.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Hey bullwinkle,

Depending on your budget, the brands can vary. For a low budget I'd recommend the Echo Ion for a low budget. I started pike fishing on the Ion. For a little more expensive rod, check out the redington vapen rod. And even higher price, the Sage Bass rod, they are a bit short, but really fast action and would be a great rod for pike. You could also check out the Loop booster as well, which I really like personally. All great options!
Aren't you supposed to be trying to sell the vision big daddy?

sage bass rod would be real nice. As stated above, but they have a new-ish rod dedicated for pike/musky, but i am unsure on those rods, mostly because i haven't seen them around much yet. Or held one in my hands.

I'd say an echo is probably the best bang for your buck.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Hey bullwinkle,

Aren't you supposed to be trying to sell the vision big daddy?

sage bass rod would be real nice. As stated above, but they have a new-ish rod dedicated for pike/musky, but i am unsure on those rods, mostly because i haven't seen them around much yet. Or held one in my hands.

I would agree though and say an echo is probably the best bang for your buck.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:54 AM

I have a 9wt Vapen and no complaints about it. Turns over big 10" flies no problem
Old 12-18-2014, 06:50 AM

I use an 8wt Reddington Predator and it's been an awesome rod for streamer slingin.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Temple Fork BVK. In an 8 weight, definitely the best bang for your buck. Check the Yellowstone Anglers 8 Weight shootout
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Awesome feed back, thanks. I think I am leaning towards templefork or redington
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Get saltwater capable

Whatever set-up you get (rod and reel), get one that is saltwater capable as well. You won't need it this trip, but you will have the flexibility to take that 8wt to go after salmon, bonefish, etc. all over the world. Doesn't really cost any more.

I bought a Greys FX2 Salt 8wt from Wholesale pretty inexpensively and matched it up with an Orvis Hydros sealed drag reel. Got me a few bonefish.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:04 PM

I have a St.Croix Legend X 8 wt, 9', 4pc that cast streamers very well. The length is nice for those heavy streamers and plenty of backbone for snot monsters. Cast long and lands soft (or as soft as you can drop a 5" streamer anyways).

I'm not sure I would have spent $500 on a "pike rod" but it was a gift and I'm very happy with it but like Okotokian says .... it can come out and play in the salt water if needed.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Whatever set-up you get (rod and reel), get one that is saltwater capable as well. You won't need it this trip, but you will have the flexibility to take that 8wt to go after salmon, bonefish, etc. all over the world. Doesn't really cost any more.

I bought a Greys FX2 Salt 8wt from Wholesale pretty inexpensively and matched it up with an Orvis Hydros sealed drag reel. Got me a few bonefish.
Ya thats a great point. Thanks