Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 AM

Default What happened to free trade??

I went to order leupold rings and bases for my son's new rifle from Cabela's this morning and when I was doing the check-out on-line, I got the following message"These items are restricted due to your shipping address". I realize that they won't allow scopes to be exported , but rings and bases? This is getting a little out of hand. Shopping on-line for me is the only convenient way to go as I don't get to Edmonton that often and i don't have any sources locally. Anyone know of any Canadian on-line sources that are reasonable besides Wholesale Sports?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Banned

In the past two months I have received 4 sets of rings from the USA, two of which were from the manufacturer. There are no laws against exporting rings and bases out of the USA. Allot of the dealers in the US don't understand their own export laws, I have noticed this allot lately.

There are allot of dealers in the US willing to send to Canada, IMO dealing online with Cabela's sucks.

But I have to ask, if you are ordering Leupold rings and bases why not just order from wholesale or one of the many Leupold dealers in Canada? There are way too many Canadian Leupold dealers to list.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Banned

I will fill you in on a very recent experience I had with a major outdoor retailer in the US.

I ordered a set of Talley lightweights for a certain rifle from that retailer in the US. They showed up in record time, I was quite happy with that. After a quick look at the package, they were the wrong part number and would not work for the application I needed them for. I called them the next day to try and fix the situation. I really did not care if I got my money back, I just wanted the right parts.

The response I received was: We do not ship rings and or bases to Canada as they can not be exported without lots of paperwork and it is not worth our time, sorry. I tried to tell him that he had already sent me a set about a week before, but he could not wrap his mind around the situation so I gave up.

One quick call to Talley and the right rings were shipped to me the same day at no charge.

Very frustrating to say the least...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 AM

Free trade had nothing to do with firearm related material, I remember reading somewhere where it is specifically listed as not belonging within the original agreement.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
In the past two months I have received 4 sets of rings from the USA, two of which were from the manufacturer. There are no laws against exporting rings and bases out of the USA. Allot of the dealers in the US don't understand their own export laws, I have noticed this allot lately.

There are allot of dealers in the US willing to send to Canada, IMO dealing online with Cabela's sucks.

But I have to ask, if you are ordering Leupold rings and bases why not just order from wholesale or one of the many Leupold dealers in Canada? There are way too many Canadian Leupold dealers to list.
I'm not a real wholesale sports fan but I will probably end up doing that. The sad thing is , that with the shipping Canada Post charges and the difference in price, it is cheaper to order from Cabela's. I usually buy locally whenever i can.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM

I ordered a bit of stuff a couple of months ago from Cabelas as well. The had no trouble sending me a set of loading dies, a case tumbler but the plastic loading blocks were restricted. Hard to believe a chunk of plastic with some holes in it was restricted. Just another excuse to take a weekend trip Cabelas to pick up some stuff in person.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falco View Post
The sad thing is , that with the shipping Canada Post charges and the difference in price, it is cheaper to order from Cabela's.
It might be cheaper, but if you have to drive to Cabelas to buy them because they wont ship, it just might be a tad more expensive

Do you have the part Leupold numbers that you are trying to order? If you do shoot me a PM with them and I will see if I can help out.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post

Do you have the part Leupold numbers that you are trying to order? If you do shoot me a PM with them and I will see if I can help out.
Thanks for the help but I just ordered them from wholesale. It wasn't really the difference in cost(not a lot with bases and rings), but it was the principle of the whole thing.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Falco -------- try www.sirmailorder.ca
They are bought out by Cabela's & are in Winnipeg.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM

I just got a Sightron scope mail order from an outfit in the States..no questions asked, and couldn't have been hung up in customs for more than 2-3 days. No duty either. I didn't know anyone was having any issues like this(?)
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Who did you order from?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsmasher View Post
I just got a Sightron scope mail order from an outfit in the States..no questions asked, and couldn't have been hung up in customs for more than 2-3 days. No duty either. I didn't know anyone was having any issues like this(?)
The issue isn't on the Canadian side, it's to do with the new laws on the American side since 9/11. The shipper is potentialy at risk of some serious charges if they are in America* edit: without the proper permits.

Last edited by Scott N; 03-12-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Free trade only positivly effects the US side anyways.
It helps us out a bit, but for the most part it one sided on a three sided agreement.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 PM

I have to throw out a second vote for www.sirmailorder.ca

I have ordered lots of stuff from there and found their prices to be quite good...usually better than wholesalesports.com
Old 03-13-2008, 09:50 AM

I got my stuff from a company called ORC Technology. Just google it, but yeah.. no hangups whatsoever.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 AM

I had heard optics were a problem. Wife bought me some Nikon Monarchs thru Shoptics in the US for christmas and had no problems. However, with shipping and duty they ended up being about the same price as if she had bought them here. LOL Sort of a waste of time. Plus they were late, took weeks to get here.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM

I don't have hard evidence for this, but after looking at some of the retailers from the U.S. and reading the fine print..the feeling I got was that if a company in the States that sells optics/accessories has a contract with the U.S. military..they have to agree to not sell certain items to foriegn countries.

I am told stories as well that Reloader 15 is so hard to come by because the U.S. military gloms it all up first. Maybe..