Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Bullet Recovery and performance....

The 165 gr TSX was recovered from the spine of a 5x5 WT from this year and the 180 gr Sivertip was recovered from the far side hide of a large Mulie Buck a couple of years back. Both bullets were from the same gun (30.06), factory loads and obviously performance was acceptable on both. For several years I have used nothing but the 180 gr Silvertips but decided to try something different this year. I am very impressed with the weight retention of the TSX.

The same bullet (85 gr TSX) out of a .243 left very small entrance and exit holes in a WT doe that was shot a close range. The bullet did its job (never recovered), the shock alone completely tore up the heart and lungs, however the doe ran for at least 60-70 yards before piling up in thick cover leaving very small droplets of blood and a tough time recovering the animal. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on bullet performance, regardless of what you are using........lol

Bullets 005 A.jpg
Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM
700TI

Just curious, did the TSX weigh more then the silvertip when all done?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM

My powder scale only goes to 110 grains but with some tinkering I was able to determine that the TSX weighed at least 20 grains more than the silvertip........Is the extra cost worth it ?? The jury is still out for me. I have more of the TSX's that I'll be using again next year. Hopefully I get more chances to see how they do......
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
jrs

I've only ever recovered one fully intact bullet, it was a 165 gr winchester powerpoint my dad put into a mulie buck. It was the only time i couldn't figure out where a deer was hit until i was boning out the front shoulder (entered under chin through pencil size hole, thing never woke up, i'd still be convinced he shot at a dead deer if i hadn't seen that one earlier in the morning chasing does and getting beat up by the one i shot). Neat to recover but the other deer still seem to be just as dead when the bullet goes right through so i haven't looked into it that much.

I would think it's of most importance when shooting dangerous game? (like breaking a bears shoulder blades so he can't get up). I haven't done a ton of research on bullet performance yet (i've concentrated on accuracy and energy), but i want to develop a load for bear hunting this spring so maybe i'll learn something here that applies once again.
Bigger hole= bigger blood trail which i would like when needed.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 AM

I only have a small number of recovered bullets. Most of mine pass through which I prefer (blood trail)
The one thing I will note is not every critter dies the same, some bang flop, and others seem to just keep on ticking, when they should'nt have. After all, they are individuals.
If your looking for bang flops then expect some lost meat because it usually means shoulder or spine shots. If your tracking skills are good then the "ol double lunger" is pretty much as good as it gets. Of course there are neck and head shots, but that issue is frought with too many variables, and sure on some critters in some situations it is a good thing, but for others in other situations maybe another shot in another place is better.
Bullet performance is just like truck buying, some folks have certain parameters in mind while other people have their own expectations.
As Catnthehat put it "you got a critter on the ground and hooves in the air, show me how the bullet failed"

There are no absolutes
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Default recovered bullets

Interesting, recovered bullets do tell the tale, regardless of advertised performance, this is what really counts.

Heres my two cents worth.

Just weighed a couple I had in the drawer, both from bull moose. 7MM STW 80gr imr 7828

162 hornady BTSP- 35 yds -entered neck on quartering shot. both lungs, diaphram and beyond, found against the hide just ahead of the hind leg. recovered weight - 47 gr. Second shot not required.

160 grand slam- 45 yds -extracted from front shoulder, moose walking straight away, bullet entered rear quarter ( not what I had in mind, was aiming a bit higher)- recovered weight 57 grs- second shot required.

Others recovered from 7MM STW ( mine and my buddies stw )

black bears - broadside lung shots 100 yrds- 139 hornady BTSP and 140 sierra. both found against skin on off side, 139 gr- 32%, 140 gr 33% Velocities at about 3350 fps

Black bear- 145 gr grandslam front quartering 225 yds, entered base of neck, 93 gr recovered -second shot taken but not required, 6 ft 7in nose to tail, 19 in skull

2 Barnes X - not sure of game taken - 150 gr- recovered 131 and 133 grains

150 sierra -recovered 82 gr -moose

30-06 - whitetailed deer, 165 hornady SP, rear quartering 240 yrds,
recovered- 111 gr

Other observations, 7MM STW,

162 hornady broadside on bull moose, always pass thru, with good wound channel, 160 grandslam, same, exit wound slightly smaller.

160 gr accubond, quartering shot on a yearling muledeer, touched rib going in, the off shoulder saw vertually no damage, only tiny bits of copper. Same result on whitetailed buck shot in the neck, no exit both at about 60 yds. Bullets fragmented and did not penetrate, ok for deer but wouldn't use on anything bigger or anything that can scratch and bite.

Did some media testing some years ago into dry phone books packed into a box. Not a real life test but interesting just the same.

7 mm stw

bullet weight gr penetration in inches
150 barnes x 126 5.25
139 hor btsp 80 6.5
154 hor 84 6.5
150 sierra 103 6.5
150 nosler part 111 5
145 speer gs 62 5.75

375/338 mag

270 horn 90 6
250 sierra bt 137 6

although this testing doesn't represent the real thing thought you might find it interesting just the same. Never been on csi so don't have ballistics jell. Next time I'd at least soak the paper, pretty brutal test done this way. We had a great time just the same.

In my experience a good bullet is very important, although, as has been said so many times, can not make up for a bad shot. I've let some good ones go over the years as the shot was to ify for me. Still dream about some of those.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM

Sorry, the spacing didn't come out the same when posted, test results are in order as stated above, they are just bunched together like a bunch of grouse.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM

For me bullet performance means a couple things.....

#1....PASS THROUGH
#2....EXIT WOUND

Like Dick said, animals die differently, I have had moose go arse over tea kettle, and also run (walk) 30-40 yards with basically the same type shot/distance/rifle.....this goes the same with deer too....

As long as at the end of the day there's "hooves in the air" the bullet did the job....whats important though is animal recovery....if the bullet will pass through and leave a decent exit wound...that means BLOOD....since I started primarily using my 300WSM and accubond bullets, I can't recall not getting a complete pass through on the animals I have taken....

this is due to "waiting" for the right shot and not pushing my capabilities, and (in my mind) great bullet performance....
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM

I agree it's critters on the ground that count, be careful with advertised performance of bullets. It's only how they perform in the real world that matters.