Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

I've noticed that both of you guys have 3 and 2 posts respectively. Yet, you've not bothered to introduce yourselves in this thread where you actually give us somewhat of a resume, history, why do you wish to hunt....etc.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=291083

I personally have a desire to introduce young people into the shooting sports and hunting. Share my experiences and hopefully introduce sportsmanship, good hunting ethics, marksmanship and most importantly a respect for the animals that we harvest. I will NOT however deal with anyone who has nothing more that an interest of filling a freezer with free wild game by any means. You guys need to come up with a better explanation before those like myself would even consider helping you out. I am sure that there are many others on this forum that feel likewise.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Hey everyone. First time poster on this forum. My buddy told me about it and he said there are great hunting tips here so I figured I'd give it a go. I'm 26 a machinist apprentice from Edmonton grew up in a small town outside of Edmonton I've been hunting since I was 15 my grandpa taught me how. I still hunting or anything for a while after my wife and I had our beautiful daughter and now that she is getting older I'm going to try and pick up where I left off. Just a few questions as well. Has anyone hunted the calmar area or millet? Thanks guys! And gals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Default Looking for Hunting Mentor

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to hunting and looking for a hunting partner. I live in Calgary. Have all the gear and even a Rokon for getting in the bush. Was looking for a mentor that may be able to help me learn about wildlife tracking and different hunting techniques. My reason for hunting is to experience the oldest form of initiation. And gain the knowledge that comes with it.

Been out a couple seasons trying a few crown land areas. But no luck yet. Probably due to my lack of experiences. I'm planning on heading out every second weekend, as I have every second Friday off.

My Background:
Got a business Degree from Mount Royal, I work for the City of Calgary Water department doing Project Reporting. Was in the Naval Reserves as an Officer.

If anyone is willing to Team up please let me know. I'll be doing scouting missions all summer.

- Mark
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Can you send a pic of the Rokon?
Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Hey all. Just looking for anyone with draws in 404 I have a bull elk tag and looking for anyone that might wanna team up for a couple hunts. Someone that has a cow tag would be perfect but whatever.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanf View Post
Hey all. Just looking for anyone with draws in 404 I have a bull elk tag and looking for anyone that might wanna team up for a couple hunts. Someone that has a cow tag would be perfect but whatever.
I drew antlered mule in there. I literally just moved to Alberta a couple of months ago and although I did some internet research, my draw choices where not based on any real knowledge, it was one of the few spots I figured had a chance with no priority. I hear it is a rugged spot.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 AM

Hi all, I'm interested in deer hunting in the Bonnyville or Lac La Biche areas for deer, as I travel there for work (I'm based in Edmonton). I've hunted with a rifle for years, but want to bowhunt this year to extend my time out. I also hunt out west in 339 if anyone would be interested. Have gear (truck quad camper) but mainly looking for day trips. Ethics are important; I like to be out there, getting something isn't critical. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 AM

Gonna throw my hat into the ring.

I am 31 and a family man, live 15 minutes north of Edmonton, and work Shift work. I wont be hunting this year, but would like to gain some experience, even if its just to go out and hang some tree stands. Im not afraid of hardwork.

I've never been hunting in my life. Now that i have kids i want to raise them up with the experiences i was never able to get. My boy likes to fish and he's learning to shoot a bow this summer, and the girl is still too young to really be into anything besides naps and baby dolls.

any advice/experience would be more than welcomed, thanks for reading.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

Default Calle calle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I recently got laid off and have enough money saved up to take hunting season off unless something too good to turn down comes up (seems unlikely at this point). My wife is going to nait untill november so pretty much I'm free and batching it untill then except for weekends. If anyone wants to come up and hunt Slave Lake for any species I can probably find a place for you to crash and show you around. I've got two canoes and love hunting rivers so if anyone wants to do a drift hunt I'm game.

I would love to go with you my job is very flexible(I have three shifts available to me). I will also be going to sundre for a week in November to hunt elk and moose, I don't know if that interests you but I don't have anyone going with me so far. I live in St Albert. Inbox me if your still wanting someone to hunt with
Old 07-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
Gonna throw my hat into the ring.

I am 31 and a family man, live 15 minutes north of Edmonton, and work Shift work. I wont be hunting this year, but would like to gain some experience, even if its just to go out and hang some tree stands. Im not afraid of hardwork.

I've never been hunting in my life. Now that i have kids i want to raise them up with the experiences i was never able to get. My boy likes to fish and he's learning to shoot a bow this summer, and the girl is still too young to really be into anything besides naps and baby dolls.

any advice/experience would be more than welcomed, thanks for reading.

Hi, I am 25. I would like to call myself a experienced rifle hunter, I don't use stands, I haven't used a bow in my life. I have been hunting ever since I was 14, even before that age I was hunting small things with my slingshot and pellet gun. I would love to show you how to rifle hunt if your interested, it's alot of walking sitting listening and really just learning more about the land and the animals that we share it with.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM

Default New to Alberta

Hi guys,

I'm new to Alberta, just got to Calgary through my father's business (oil & gas). I'm 23 years old, grew up mostly in Europe and have hunted before in Europe and Africa where I lived and worked.
Most of my hunting "skills" were taught to me by my father. However I have never hunted in Canada and I would love to build up my knowledge of hunting, tracking, bush craft and much more. Hunting for me is not about bagging the limit but more about being outdoors and enjoying nature. THe most beautiful thing God has left us...

Shooting is not an issue for me, have been around firearms since I was little and as a hobby I took up clay shooting and all other sorts of shooting. And I already possess a PAL/ RPAL.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Elk scouting

Hi,

This summer i decided to scout some new areas for elk.I have 2 wmu's on my mind that i would like to scout in Rocky mountains and prepare for September hunting.I would need a partner for that.Someone that is willing to hike and spend some time glassing.I don't sleep in hotels or anything similar.I'm simple and sleep in tent even in November.I'm in good shape non smoker,non drinker former boxer and served army back home in Europe (Croatia).Moved to AB in 2013.

I'm 33y married father located in Edmonton.I hunt only crown land,have full gear and quad.When it comes to hunting I am not a weekend warrior.Or a guy that is driving around with truck during hunting season.I spend lots of time scouting...and take vacation for hunting season!

Ivan
Old 07-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Looking for group to hunt mainly waterfowl with. Located North of Edmonton but willing to travel. Been hunting and guiding for quite a few years but moved here last year and unfortunately my previous waterfowl group cannot fly 4000km to hunt with me. Ideally would like to get into a group of 3 or 4 other guys that hunt on a regular basis. I can bring a lot to the table. I have the gear, I have the guns, I have the calls, I have the dog. If we get along there is also the opportunity to hunt big game on my land north of Edmonton. Shoot me a message if you have a place for me in your group, il even bring the cold ones for after the hunt.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Default 43- MWC- CITY-IT, but I'm working on it.

43 year old fella, Married with 2 teen boys. Citiot, but I'm working on it.

I have been fishing and camping all my life but do not come from a (current generation) hunting family. I used to go out in the fall goose shooting in high school and I've pushed bush and pulled deer out of the bush with friends.

Then the registry and that BS occured and I thought "F*&K it" I wont hunt...
walled up some family guns and forgot about them.

The last couple of years have seen the loss of several of my older family members who hunt and I realized that I missed an opportunity to learn a life skill and all of the family time that goes along with that.

Last year I decided to get a general tag and went "hunting" with an uncle who is really too crippled up to hunt anymore and it was more of a drive and remember where deer used to be trip. Other than the family time, it was not hunting, it was sitting in the truck.

This year my goal is to pull a general tag again and actually get out of the truck and look for animals. This is where you can help me out...

My Cons;
I'm in Calgary and work 40+ a week during the week so no midweek hunts.
I am inexperienced taking anything other than birds and gophers.
I haven't gutted / cleaned any large game.
Big men don't hide for Sh1t. (6'3-280)
On foot (no quad etc)

My Pros;
Willing to listen and absorb info from someone in a mentor role.
Strong like bull, smart like tractor.
I have been making sausage and cured meat for years and can teach you. (think European salamis, coppa and procuttio, not your uncles moose breakfast sausage).
On foot (no quad etc)
This is not my first (or 20th) post.

Thanks for reading my resume and cover letter.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Default BHA has a training hike on Nose Hill Calgary

Guys, just an fyi.... BHA Alberta started a training hike at Nose Hill Park Calgary. Might be a good way to meet potential hunting partners. If you plan on doing the crown land hiking type hunting.

If you search them up on Instagram, there's a post on there with dates,times.

Cheers.
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 PM

Default Elk near hinton

Hey boys! How's your day going? I'm just throwing it out there. I'm 32, a carpenter, and an avid hunter, I've been chasing public land elk for three years now and am looking for a new hunting partner around my age. I like to go without machines and have a trailer and all the gear. Want to pack and hike hard all day, and enjoy some whiskey by the fire at night. Looking to head out early to mid September if someone is looking for a partner.PM me if this sounds like a match for you. Thanks fellas.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Looking for a hunting buddy , that wants to get out this year for big game as well as birds , and fishing , pretty much anything outdoors. I hunt bow and rifle.

I am 36 living in south Calgary and usually hunt south of the city , as I do have some access to the south , but would really like to get out and gain some new access.

PM me if your interested , maybe can go grab a beer or something !!
Old 07-29-2017, 10:00 PM

Looking for a hunting partner for archery moose or elk. Possible dates are aug 29 - sept 4. I'm set up for a back pack hunt, but open to other options if you have the gear. Shoot me a pm if you might be interested.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Guess I'll bump myself up here now that the season is a bit closer. Planning some scouting next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
Hey everybody,

Name is Dan, 25 years old and grew up in beautiful Canmore. I have only been hunting a few years but it has become an all consuming passion. I am mostly self taught but have been successful with mule and whitetail deer with both bow and rifle, as well as turkeys, small game, and duck.

Growing up in the mountains, I am an avid outdoorsman. I love hiking hard and don't mind putting miles on my boots to get into game. I work hard all year to be sure I'm in shape for hunting season. If I'm not in the field I am looking at maps, researching strategy and planning my next hunt.

I have been in BC for the last two years but looking forward to getting back home this spring. I am interested in all types of game, big and small, and I'm hoping this year someone can introduce me to pheasants.

Since I began hunting I have inspired many others to do the same, as such I have many inexperienced folks to hunt with and am looking for someone with more experience that I can learn from. I like hanging out with older guys and wouldn't mind being an extra backpack on a mountain hunt in order to learn something. I have all my own gear, a solid 4x4 and the drive to get it done.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Default 37 year old Calgarian, looking for bowhunting partners

37 year old man from Calgary looking for a bow-hunting partner / partners.

I am hunting white-tail and elk, mainly in WMUs 314, 220 and maybe 406. I have no draws, just general tags this year.

I will be hunting on foot. There are a couple of public-access spots in 314 and 220 that I’ve hunted / scouted in past seasons, but they are foot-access only. Not planning on any overnight backpacking. I own a small 4x4 pickup but no quad. I will be using a bow during Sept and Oct, and will switch to a rifle for Nov.
I am looking for a partner (or partners) who have been successful in bow hunting deer or elk at least once before. I’ve learned a lot in the past few years, but there is still so much I don’t know about stand & blind placement, trail-cam placement, calling, scent control, etc. Also interested in a partner for safety reasons – I’ve had some sketchy back-country encounters.

This will be my third hunting season. My previous two were not successful for deer, but I had several close calls. I’ve also bagged about a dozen ruffed grouse.

I am single with no family commitments, so my schedule is pretty flexible.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Default 302 Cow Elk

Did you get drawn for a cow elk in 302? I have access to some choice property.
My tag is from dec 21- Jan 20. Let me know and we can partner up
Old 08-04-2017, 08:36 AM

Default New to hunting

Good morning everyone,

I am in the Edmonton Area and raised a citiot lol I have been hunting twice in my life and loved it! I am in my 30s now and would really like to find a hunting/gun mentor that wouldn't mind showing a noob the ropes of safe gun handling and hunting. I would like to start on waterfowl and eventually move up to big game. I have recently acquired my first shotgun but I only have experience using my little .22 for tin can and gopher shooting. Thanks for reading and hope to meet some new friends soon!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Default New to Hunting - not new to life or the outdoors - would appreciate someone showing me some local expertise

Hi all.

I am a 50 year old Kiwi guy; have been in Canada for 17 years, but still have the accent and still don't understand Canadian football.

I live in Calgary, but try to get out of it as often as possible... I like anything that nature can show us... I am an experienced fisherman, whether its with a fly on a stream, a hoochi for a salmon or something more colorful for game, I have fished around the world. Experienced boat guy, having grown up on the ocean both with power and sail boats - even crossed a big chunk of the pacific in a yacht race a few moons ago. Anyway, all that means is I am not afraid of either blood on my jeans or dirt under my nails.

I am new to hunting and keen to learn more about waterfowl, deer and anything else that tastes good. I am very much a meat eater and I love knowing what I put on the grill.

I have the gear, and happy to get what else I need... I am comfortable standing behind a gun and can put it in the dot.

If there is or are some hunters out there that want to hear a few kiwi jokes around a fire or even better on a trail, drop me a note or give me a call. I'll even buy the first cold one.

I would prefer to hunt south of Calgary but I really am more interested in meeting someone I can learn from and try some areas. I have some knowledge of the Longview area down to Old Man river (where I have often fished) but I have not hunted, so really I am just more interested in getting out there.

As for waterfowl, I have hunted some duck a few times and not as much of a newbie - but I do not know where to go here, so a companion here would be great.

Mitch
Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 PM

Default Waterfowl

Looking to find someone or some people to go hunt ducks and geese this season. I mainly hunt DU spots.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Looking for someone to go bow hunting with I'm flexible on dates and areas gonna try for a elk or moose with general tags I'm geared up for overnight backpacking

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Recurve Bow-hunting partner

My name JC, 42 year old, from Calgary, looking for a bow-hunting partner. I speak Spanish too, so anyone out there that wants to practice can be an option.

I know some spots in 308 and 304 . I have no draws, just general tags this year.

I will be hunting on foot. I own a small 4x4 pickup but no quad. I will be using a recurve bow during Sept and Oct, and will switch to a rifle for Nov.
I am looking for a partner (or partners) who have been successful in bow hunting deer or elk at least once before. I’ve learned a lot in the past few years, but there is still so much I don’t know about stand & blind placement, trail-cam placement, calling, scent control, etc. Also interested in a partner for safety reasons.

This will be my third hunting season. My previous two were not successful for deer, my hunting partner got an elk which we carrier on foot out, pretty hard work but we made it! I had several close calls. As you can see I have no issue with the packing game.

My schedule is most weekends. Please text me if interested to partner with me 403-801-8088. Thanks for checking
Old 08-19-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Suffield Elk

Got drawn on the last season in Suffield.
My partner does not know if he can make it now as a helper.
Anyone eles got drawn that needs a partner for the last season.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Let's get hunting!!!

Good morning all.

As waterfowl season is upon us, and I have a thirsty Browning and an empty freezer—it’s time to thin out the flock.

Just getting back into it after a 20 yr layoff---my intro is here-- http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=3609583

Born and bred Albertan living in Edmonton. Have all the gear, decoys, and a nice 14’ Tracker Bass Boat etc, looking for a partner or two closer to home—hunt about an hour at the farthest—although willing to travel for sure. Have a few spots staked out. Going all in on this, so shoot me a PM if interested. I couldn’t be more ready.

Cheers

Fishin
Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 PM

Exclamation In search for a hunting partner

Hi, I am Nate, 43 years old, originally from Mongolia, have hunting experience from there. Live in SE Calgary with my wife and 2 daughters.

In Alberta, so far, got several deers in the last couple of years. I have 270 and 300 wsm and a truck, can drive 5-6 hrs. I got a white-tailed buck draw for WMU 408 and am not familiar with this zone. Looking for a solid hunting partner - interested in all types of hunting (birds, deer, bear, wolf etc)

Hope to hear from you- email me at lnadmid@ yahoo.com.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 AM

Tried this awhile ago to no avail , so now close to hunting season I will try again , someone has to be out there ! ( just copying and pasting my last entry )

So going to kind of lay it out on the line here,so I do apologize. After a few brutally failed hunting buddy's, I am looking for a new buddy.

Bit about myself first. I am 35/male living in deep s.e calgary and married. Incase of old buddy's on here I will leave it at that for the time being.

I am looking for a buddy around same age, and lives somewhat close. Can be a seasoned hunter or a newbie, does not matter. I am looking for someone to get out soon with coyote hunting and get some door knocking done to find some permission and get into great for next year season as I have had 3 bad seasons in a row now. I would like to hunt deer, elk and anything else possible as well as game birds. I would love to explore camping and hunting as well, as I hope to get outfitters tent soon. I would also love the idea of horseback hunting and I do have access to a couple horses.

A buddy that ice fish's in the winter would also be ideal.

I'm looking for someone to go for beers with, and wing nights during the year. And just an all around good friend.

Let me know if you are interested!