Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Sweet, I make more than university grads. I may retire early just to finish high school...
Me to. Wish I would've spent a little more time in math so I could figure out by how much. Doing pretty good for a couple of dummies. Congrats.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I'd give you no more that $1.
Doesn't matter whether we are different societies...in fact more Canadians should visit some 2nd and 3rd world countries...then maybe they'd be a little less whiny about not being able to afford all the crap they see advertised..much of which isn't needed and sits unused in the basement or garage.
That's my two cents worth.
Soon there will be no need to "visit 2nd and 3rd world countries", unless we bypass 2nd and 3rd straight to 4th.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 PM

So I just stepped out of my basement (Walkout) door to look at my Alberta. In spite of the fact the smoke is making it tough to tell where the lake begins against the sky --- seems like a good place to be.

Government..Seen the good, bad, the ugly but staying focused on what I could do with my life is what got me "the view".

Old 07-18-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
1% anomaly
I know more 1% anomalies than university grads. Your claimed stat might be true for the city but not rural.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
Funny no one will admit voting NDP
I have and will admit that I voted NDP.

Several other's here did the same thing,
but those ones keep their tails tucked.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
No doubt about it, Alberta is one of the best places to live in the world. But, that doesn't mean we should settle for politicians picking our pockets or other improper treatment. I'm always dismayed when I hear people say don't complain because we got it pretty good. Sounds like a battered wife.

We need to hold our politicians to a much higher standard and we need to continually strive to educate ourselves and others about liberty and tyranny.

Great thread, and thanks for caring enough to try and make Alberta even better than it already is by pointing out it's shortcomings.
Problem is there isn't 'one' standard, there never will be such a standard, because you will never get 3 million people to agree what is right for the province.
Nor will you ever get a governing party to do what it is all voters want.
Not too mention what the businesses want
or what other provinces want
or what the federal government wants
or what other countries want.

Even if you could,
what kind of society would that be?
and would you want it?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 PM

Speaking of tucking their tales, what groundbreaking policies has the NPD released lately? With their history of screwups over the last two years, they have adapted a policy of not doing anything to ensure they do not erode their shrinking approval rating. True Leaders. More like cowards.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
1% anomaly
Most of family is that. Not even part of a outlaw motorcycle club. Many jobs out there that don't require university degree to be successful.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I'm one of the smart ones...I don't speed,

Wow. Something must have changed.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Many jobs out there that don't require university degree to be successful.
Yes. A technical school or college diploma is an option too.
2 year programs.

Last edited by Brian Adams; 07-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
2 year programs.
Just curious what you're vocation is and how long you've been doing it?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Problem is there isn't 'one' standard, there never will be such a standard, because you will never get 3 million people to agree what is right for the province.

Even if you could,
and would you want it?
You have precisely identified the problem and the solution.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
2 year programs.
Or sometimes you can just work your way up.
My wife started as a teller in a bank and worked her way up to a branch manager. Hard work and taking opportunities when they became available. That's with a high school diploma.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

I think it will be interesting to see if the increased wages of Univ grads holds in the coming years. I have a feeling this statistic is going to flip around.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
There is no other place I would rather live than in Alberta. I go the speed limit, shop the sales, use the barter system whenever possible and tolerate the GD tourists driving with there heads hidden in their levi's. 45 minutes away from world class hospitals and an international airport. Stuff is more expensive in town so when we go to Calgary, the money we save at costco and superstore more than pay for the fuel burned. Making pickles tomorrow and just froze the first bag of raspberry's of the season and am looking forward to 3 deer tags this fall to go next to the side of beef ($3.80/lb). Will return from a week in BC with coolers full of fresh fruit for canning and hopefully enough garlic to get us through the winter. It really is hard to be sad.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Or sometimes you can just work your way up.
Sometimes is a risk.
The best path is post secondary education.

Last edited by Brian Adams; 07-18-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I know more 1% anomalies than university grads. Your claimed stat might be true for the city but not rural.
Nope its not an anomaly in the city. Where I work, all of us uneducated cretins would have to take a 50% pay cut, to make what those highly educated folk do. Drive into any fancy neighborhood and you will find welding trucks, work trucks, and many other blue collared folk living amongst those University elite.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
No doubt about it, Alberta is one of the best places to live in the world. But, that doesn't mean we should settle for politicians picking our pockets or other improper treatment. I'm always dismayed when I hear people say don't complain because we got it pretty good. Sounds like a battered wife.

We need to hold our politicians to a much higher standard and we need to continually strive to educate ourselves and others about liberty and tyranny.

Great thread, and thanks for caring enough to try and make Alberta even better than it already is by pointing out it's shortcomings.
These are my exact thoughts too. Why do we have to wait until AB is a turd before we can complain? When are we allowed to complain? Once we are on average with other third world countries does that afford us the luxury to complain? Or do we have to be the worst before we can vocalize our frustrations about the ship headed to the rocks? If your house was on fire would you put it out, or would you just sit and wait because its not the worst house-fire in the world? I just don't get that mentality.

When I try to think logically about that mentality I come up with only one type of person that would be against critical comments of our situation. Anyone that tells me not to complain because it is so good here must be a huge government subsidy. I mean only someone on the dole, wouldn't want the boat shaken. Anyone else would welcome a shake-up.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 AM

Like most things there is a "time and place" and frankly most folks on AO stay away from the constant political whining ... not because they lack interest in the subject, but because they don't want to add to the partisan clutter. Others stay out because they have seen the bully boys "pile on" and even stalk posters in unrelated threads.
Unfortunately, some have taken advantage of AO to push their brand and constantly use the forums to pursue that end. It is definitely getting tiring.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

Even if you could,
and would you want it?
You have precisely identified the problem and the solution.
ETown and Rugs on the same page! IT'S A MIRACLE!

But seriously, I agree. It's not an easy prospect. But it is something we should all give some thought to. Who knows when one is called upon to help shape the future of our province?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM

I moved here from out east 5 years ago and I have to say that this is an absolutely awesome place to live. The people are incredible and the opportunities are in abundance. I consider myself to be very lucky to live here.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
Funny no one will admit voting NDP
How things change over a couple of years.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 AM

So this thread has went from the cost of living in Alberta to I make more money than you do?

All I have to say is that Alberta has treated me well for all of my life. I have went from Social Credit to Conservative and now I am not sure what I will do next election, but I will still vote.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
ETown and Rugs on the same page! IT'S A MIRACLE!

But seriously, I agree. It's not an easy prospect. But it is something we should all give some thought to. Who knows when one is called upon to help shape the future of our province?

The solution to government always stepping on someone's toes is to take away their boots. We need way less government.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM

Alberta is still a great place to live, but with a responsible government, it would be a lot better place to live. Why settle for what you have, if you could have much more?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Just curious what you're vocation is and how long you've been doing it?
Professional troll.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_1 View Post
Soon there will be no need to "visit 2nd and 3rd world countries", unless we bypass 2nd and 3rd straight to 4th.
Why make ridiculous statement.
You've obviously never been to true 3rd world country such as the Sudan or Somalia.
They make our worst aboriginal reservations look like fine living.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Default Alberta is great!

I arrived here in Calgary back in 77 when it was still a small "cowtown" around 450,000 citizens. Was homesick for a few years but it was too good to give up. Excellent paved roads almost everywhere with very few potholes.... and very few mosquitoes etc. at least where I live in the city.

Summer weather is excellent even if a bit cool..... all outdoor swimming pools have been closed due to lack of hot weather days but plenty of indoor pools available.

The first sense upon arrival in Alberta in 77 was that I had entered a different country (not Canada per se)........that sense has only increased substantially since then.

To those living outside of Alberta..... give us a break.... global warming is not our fault.... if it indeed exists at all. We worked extremely hard for our Oil and Gas industry incomes and paid our dues.

And envy does not look good on you!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Whenever anyone puts out a top 10 list of which are the best countries to live in, Canada always rates in the top.
We've had it so good for so long that a bunch of Canadians just don't realize how good they have it. We whine about photo radar and the such while half the worlds population doesn't have clean drinking water.
Sad how narcissistic many of us have become.
Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
If it's so bad go for a year tour around this plant and you will lick the ground you stand on,there is no perfect system and Alberta is a good place to live.

And kids maken a move today were taught how to spend and live way beyond there means,so if you feel bad about your kid go look in the mirror at who made it hard on them.Fort mac before the fire had slowed right down an folks who made big cash for the past 15 years only had enough cash for a month ahead and needed food hampers,stores are full of food,quads .boats and rv's in everyone's yard and things look bad,give me a break.Sure the cost of living is going up ,but most people won't cut back,wait till it get's really,really bad and it's coming like a freight train,you will look back and pray it was like today.
Good post.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.