Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 09:47 PM

BRNO ZKK 600 30-06 w Leupold VXIII Not fancy but has been worked hard for 25 years and still gets it done.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Please explain.
Less to go wrong.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No.5 Lee Enfield- short, powerful, accurate, and as bullet proof as you can make a rifle.
Cat
Hard to argue that choice as the Lee Enfield has a track record of hard use over a long time.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 PM

If i could rename this thread "What is your most dependable used Rifle setup" it might be more inclined for what I was interested in hearing. I would like to hear more of people's individual actual most trusted hunting rifle setup, not the idea of what the end of times rifle selection should be. A lot of us appreciate a good scope, there's a reason we arent all using mausers lee enfields and break action single shots.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 PM
Banned

I have only had 3 Rifles fail on me, a Tikka, a Kimber, and a Cooper. The Kimber had a feeding issue because of sharp edges on the feed rails, and both the Tikka and Cooper had the firing pin fail because the bolt was all gummed up. I've put a ton of lead through my model 70 without a hitch, and I have lever action octagon barrel marlin 1893 from the early 1900's that I have yet to see fail.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
If i could rename this thread "What is your most dependable used Rifle setup" it might be more inclined for what I was interested in hearing. I would like to hear more of people's individual actual most trusted hunting rifle setup, not the idea of what the end of times rifle selection should be. A lot of us appreciate a good scope, there's a reason we arent all using mausers lee enfields and break action single shots.
I still use an Enfield occasionally , not a no.5 but a no.4, and it has a 50 year old old
2 1/2X Kahles on it, totally dependable and so are the irons.

My main hunting rifle for the last 7 or so years is a Ruger single shot, with express sights and a 1-4X Leupold for longer shots , although I have also had a 4X and a 6X on it, all Leupolds
it stays in the packsack unless the animal cannot be taken with the express sights- or I decide to hunt with a scope that day.
Both rifles are totally dependable and have never broken, nor have any of the other Enfields or Mausers , Browning single shots or Rugers I have hunted with in the past , or my main trapline gun which was a break action 30/30.
Rock solid dependable every one.....
Cat
Old 07-20-2017, 01:35 AM

Win 88/308, Leupold rings & Leupold VXI scope.
Shoots cast boolits and Barnes reliably. Has taken a few moose & several deer.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:31 AM

Basically all my rigs are great guns, reliable, and shoot better then me. My favourite combo/ is 700 or 7600 with Leupold base and rings with a Leupold scope. 5 Leupold scopes and they do one thing, they just work. Even my 7600 with irons shoots great.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:37 AM

I would not go in the field unless I am carrying a rifle that I consider to be totally dependable, and a huge factor is maintenance. Some people do silly things like spraying WD40 on trigger assemblies, or into bolts, and then suffer failures in the field as a result.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 AM

I believe there are more rifles in service than not that when push came to shove would fail in the field.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I believe there are more rifles in service than not that when push came to shove would fail in the field.
Exactly. So which are the good ones and which are gimmicks. Do some of the expensive custom rifles lack the strength to support the price or are some of them accurate bench guns.

Last edited by Nyksta; 07-20-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 AM

I think "failures" are pretty rare. I've only been in the gun game for about 15 years but I've never had ANY rifle fail to operate as expected.
\
No, wait.... old sporterized enfield .303. Son was stalking a buck with it and scope fell off when he was about to shoot. LOL
Old 07-20-2017, 09:06 AM

This would be my most trusted, a Sako vixen, fitted with a weaver steel, K4 in .222, my old culling rifle, Its got bluing worn off, worn and bruised wood, and I had a bad fall 25 years ago, and cracked the stock, chipped the wood of the fore stock, field patch, enough to use, and bought a new stock, didn't shoot as good with new stock, so refitted the old stock and carried on,
never had scope off and only ever had to adjust for different ammo.
Bought new in 1970, when Dad was in New Zealand Forest service, it spent a few seasons culling on the coast, and I took it over in 1985 when I got my firearms licence, I've shot likely 3000 plus, head of game, goats, deer, chamois and the odd pig, and sheep, likely Dad, and one of his culler's, he loaned it too, have shot many more,
Many the mornings, in the grey light and mist, of a new day, ive wandered away form camp, while thumbing six 55 gr soft points down,
Its never let me down, has more rounds threw it, that most hunting rifles will ever see, Even now 20 years since I left NZ for work, I can pick this rifle up, and it feels like it is a part of me, I trust it with out fail.

Feral goat, shot May 2016,
Old 07-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Exactly. So which are the good ones and which are gimmicks. Do some of the expensive custom rifles lack the strength to support the price or are some of them accurate bench guns.
Custom certainly does not make it reliable. However, there are a certain few rifle builders that command some bigger dollars on the premise of complete reliability.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-20-2017, 06:39 PM

My idea of a reliable rifle is one that Chambers bullets from the feed, and a scope that stays true threw the whole harvest season.

I've had good success with those Lee Enfields, Muasers, Rugers, Reminingtons, Winchester's, and Weatherbys.

The simplest set up allows for less chances of things getting bumped off IMO only that is.

Reliable is a bolt & firing pin, a good set of rings, mounts, and optics. A rifle barrel rifle that holds consistency.

Find something with a solid stock, a action that you want to Jack rounds threw, something that gives you spot on accuracy with first shot along with follow up if needed.

A trigger that works every time in all temperatures with the same pull every time.

You don't need too break the bank too find good quality bases, rings and optics, up too you too research this at the budget that will suit your funds.

We know we have it right when our rifle takes the bumps and grinds all season long as it holds true even threw the un-expected stuff that comes along.

None of us know when our rifle will tumble out of a truck onto the ground, or fall over at the Harvesting camp.

The above is only my take on reliable as each person has what works for them.

Don
Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 PM

Most bolt action rifles are pretty reliable . The only fails when hunting was a sako L579 had a hang fire in very cold weather , not necessarily the firearms fault . I bought it used and was like new , however trigger had oil or solvent in trigger and I had not cleaned it , as it seemed so new . Big mistake .
Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 PM

The only rifle that failed on me was a remington 742 "jam master". Tried the action wet it would jam. Cleaned it really good and tried it dry it would jam. Needless to say i didnt have it very long.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Weatherby vanguard s2. 257wby mag. Weaver bases and rings. Bushnell legend ultra HD. Has been ultra reliable and seen some bad weather!1982...I believe m70 featherweight.same scope. 270 win. Same as above. Reliable period. 1954 rem 721. 30-06. 3rd generation. 4x weaver k4. Always works. 1927 win m94 trapper. 30-30. 3rd generation. Still shoots...ish? but dang reliable.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM

Cooey model 39 and a Cooey model 600 running rabbit, shoot them both till the barrels wore out.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

One that works and you are comfortable with and a back up with the same credentials.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Banned

None of the many breeds of rifles that I hunt with have ever given me field issues. Simply because I ensure that they won't before going afield. The only rifle that has ever given me problems is a rimfire Remington 597. I was too busy with other repairs and projects that I didn't bother wasting time with it, and I have other rimfires that I prefer. I gave it away.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:59 PM

Winchester 70 with a Leupold
Old 07-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight .30/06 in a Echols Legend EDGE stock, Talley lightweight rings and a S&B Summit 2.5-10 scope.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:40 PM

30-06 Model 70 extreme weather, Leupold vx2, talley lightweights. I see zero reason for an upgrade or change. It is reliable for me and what I use it for.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:05 PM

Durability issues we seen in the field usually has to do with the scope rings...... seen it twice, and both times were 2 piece rings/base where the rear "windage" screw loosened up. All we'll use now are 1 piece Talleys, or dovetail Leupold. Blue locktite the base screws, but not the rings.
Other failures in the field had to do with maintenance. Too much gun oil buildup inside the bolt that caused an issue in cold weather where the oil turned to molasses and the firing pin didn't hit the primer hard enough to go off..... buck got away that day.......
Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 AM

Back in the late 90's, I had a Savage model 110 in .270 Win that regularly broke the extractor off requiring a Jack knife extraction. Lost a couple if animals to this POS before getting rid if it. Having read on this model of Savage, I'm sure that they are good and I just got a did, but I haven't and won't own another Savage.
Every other rifle I've had has been good. The SMLE 1919 has never failed me in 20+ years neither the Browning A Bolt in 17 seasons. Now using as CZ , great. Even have a 742 Woodsmaster that have a horrible reputation but it performed fine last season taking a nice buck in -22C weather.
I think that most rifles are solid and reliable and a dud is a rarity.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

I couldn't agree more FellSwoop. A lot has to do with how well one maintains their firearms. Not just a few days before hunting season, but throughout their life. Pouring oil or WD40 in the hopes that it migrates to the right places ain't gun maintenance at it's best.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Banned

Never had the hammer fail to drop on a 94 !!!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:30 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Never had the hammer fail to drop on a 94 !!!
Huntsman likes this ^
Old 07-27-2017, 05:59 AM

Many bolt rifles can fail to fire if the bolt is not fully down. Try it on yours.

Wearing thick gloves can cause your closed bolt to sneak up, and presto, light primer strike. Happened to me twice hunting coyotes.