Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post

How is the honey flow in your areas?
Slow
Old 07-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebesnard View Post
My wife got into it last year and its a fascinating hobby. She decided to go with the new flow hive https://www.honeyflow.com/

you still need to do all the basic bee maintenance and health checks / maintenance but extracting honey is as easy as putting on a clear plastic hose, turning a special tool one turn and sit back and have a tea as clear honey flows into your jars. its more pricey than a langstroth initially but you don't have the mess of centrifuging to extract ... its worthy of consideration if you're only at the hobby level

great community of people out there to help you as well ... just remember that for every 3 bee keepers you'll get 4 opinions.
I was thinking of doing the FLOW hive but after doing some research I finally decided on the Langstroth hive. I looked into the top bar and Warre as well.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:44 PM

I don't have time to keep Bees but I have over an acre of Wildflowers that I seeded in 2004. If anyone on here wants to place a hive or three here they are welcome to do so. I'm in the Stony Plain area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wildflowers 2017 001 (800x600).jpg (127.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:40 AM

Honey flow is strong right now in Southern MB. Just starting to harvest. Have an average of 4 supers per hive right now. Some with 5 and 6 supers on. Need this hot humid air to move out. Top supers are testing 19-20 % moisture. Everything below that is testing dry. Will be a busy 6 weeks bringing in the crop. Everything needs to run smooth to get 200,000 plus lbs in the drums by September 1st! Best of luck to everyone and hopefully we all get a big crop.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:53 PM

What are the rules about keeping bees in the city (Calgary) and as well the practicality. Checked the web and didn't see anywhere that it is against the bylaw. My lot is typical size for a new home in Cranston but I have no neighbors behind me just the escarpment which is an extension of Fish Creek Park so thought it would be great for keeping some bees. Thanks and sorry for high jacking the thread.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox red lab View Post
What are the rules about keeping bees in the city (Calgary) and as well the practicality. Checked the web and didn't see anywhere that it is against the bylaw. My lot is typical size for a new home in Cranston but I have no neighbors behind me just the escarpment which is an extension of Fish Creek Park so thought it would be great for keeping some bees. Thanks and sorry for high jacking the thread.
Just found some good info on Calgary Beepers Assoc. Website in case any one is interested in keeping bees in the city.