Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Default Lesser Slave Lake, Utikuma Lake

Hello fellow anglers, I am heading up to Slave Lake this week to stay at "Roland on the River", renting one of thier cabins. They make them sound rather equipped, just wondering if anyone has been there recently to offer some insight to what I may need to bring that they won't have. No biggie, as the town is close.

Also, has anyone been out on the town side of the lake? wondering if the bite is on there yet. I have fished around Dog Island in the past, with success, but never this early in the year.

Lastly, we were considering a day trip to Utikuma, but I looked it up and it does not appear to have a boat launch? I have a trailered 16ft Misty River with 40hp outboard, just wondering if there is anywhere new to launch.

I appreciate any feedback on these topics.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:24 PM

I have a seasonal site at Roland on the River. The cabins are very nice and well set up. Bring you typical camping gear along with some food. But like you said town is right there. Fishing is great along the beach side. Also fishing is getting really good in the river where the boats sit.
As for utikama boat access is not very good. Heard a couples guys tried to carry in a canoe. But very mucky and shallow. Hope you have a great weekend out there. That campground is amazing and they are very friendly.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the info FisherCole, I see you are from St. Albert as well, me too. We are there from the 7-11 of June, stop by and say hi if you are so inclined!!
Old 06-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Yes I am. I hate to say it. But won't be back out to the lake till Father's Day weekend. Just moved into a new place in st.albert and well...... I hate moving!
Enjoy the time there. Would love to see pictures of your catch. If your walking around. My site is in the back corner towards where they park boat trailers. A wildwood and pinnacle.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 AM

I think the only way to get a boat on Utikama is a canoe. Very shallow in most places and virtually no access . When ice fishing you only have about 3 fow below the ice most of the time.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanstr8 View Post
Hello fellow anglers, I am heading up to Slave Lake this week to stay at "Roland on the River", renting one of thier cabins. They make them sound rather equipped, just wondering if anyone has been there recently to offer some insight to what I may need to bring that they won't have. No biggie, as the town is close.

Also, has anyone been out on the town side of the lake? wondering if the bite is on there yet. I have fished around Dog Island in the past, with success, but never this early in the year.

Lastly, we were considering a day trip to Utikuma, but I looked it up and it does not appear to have a boat launch? I have a trailered 16ft Misty River with 40hp outboard, just wondering if there is anywhere new to launch.

I appreciate any feedback on these topics.
The bite is on, and the Walleye are looking good this spring, much more healthy than last year. This early the bite is usually best on the flats off Devonshire beach or further up Northshore. Right now the walleye are a bit scattered so trolling works best, by the time you get here jigging will probably also be a good option too. I generally only go out to Dog Island this early if I want to catch pike, not that there aren't some walleye out there too.

The river is fishing good and there is a launch below the weir so if you want to mix it up or if the lake is rough you can always try that too, I prefer fishing the river to the lake. The river is a bit tougher to fish but there is a higher chance of catching a trophy. A prop boat can go down to Tollners bridge without issue, below that you need to know the river pretty good to try it without a jet leg.

I've heard that there is a boat launch on the reserve at Utikima, I've also heard that using it is a good way to have your truck broken into. There are a couple really rough launches on the east side of the lake, the one a KM 80 is usually pretty sketchy even getting too the lake in the summer. There is another one at 88 right off of a lease across from the gas plant. I have a boat about the same size as yours and I take my canoe when I go up to Utikima. I would recommend sticking to Slave Lake and the river, or driving to Wabasca if you want to mix it up a bit more.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-07-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM

Well my visit to "Roland on the river" is over, and I must say it was an enjoyable experience. Roland and Betty were very accomodating, and the facilities were about exactly what I expected. The set up is nice for launching into the river, and considering the favorable Easterly wind, the lake was relatively calm and fishable, even for my 16ft Misty River. We had great success along the beach, a lot of walleye caught and consumed. We tried one session around the West side of Dog Island, very few walleye there yet, but some nice pike caught, including a beautiful 10 pounder.

I have already booked my trip for next June and can't wait to return...

Roland.jpg

Roland2.jpg
Old 06-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Glad to hear you had favorable conditions and caught some fish. That west side of the island is kind of weird, its got random bars and holes all over the place. There are spots that hold walleye, but quite often there's a lot more water that doesn't.

Next time try exploring the river, a very nice change of scenery and pace.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 PM

we drove up for the day saterday and although very windy , the grand kids had lots of fun and caught lots of fish . we also worked the water along the beach .