Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Default reloading info for 6.5x57?

Looking for a reliable source for load data for 6.5x57, I know you can use 6.5x55 as a guideline, any of the manuals have printed load data for 6.5x57. whats the case trim length? I have found a couple sources that vairy and none were reliable sources.
Thanks Brad
Old 05-06-2017, 01:02 PM

Look up CIP cartridge spec for the case and chamber info, and these guys have reasonable load info for a number of different powders;

http://www.grurifrasca.net/Sito/Rica...li/6,5x57.html
Old 05-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Looking for a reliable source for load data for 6.5x57, I know you can use 6.5x55 as a guideline, any of the manuals have printed load data for 6.5x57. whats the case trim length? I have found a couple sources that vairy and none were reliable sources.
Thanks Brad
I strongly suggest you make a chamber casting using Cerosafe
http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/....htm?lid=16061
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/...aspx?lid=10387

or at the VERY LEAST buy or build a chamber length gauge
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/m...prod32925.aspx

to measure YOUR ACTUAL (and quite possibly unique, or out of spec) chamber.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:58 PM

I am confident it is a 6.5x57 its a brno 21, it is a common chambering for the rifle, it has factory barrel and I have shot factory 6.5x57 ammo out of the rifle.
Would you not only cast a chamber if chamber was unknown? Im asking, not telling here. I dont have nearly as much experience reloading as you guys. and when it comes to casting chambers its very much out of my relm. Thanks 32-40 I will check out that site.
I love this site for the great expance of knowledge.
Thanks Guys
Brad
Old 05-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Default this one

Hornady
Old 05-06-2017, 07:41 PM

I have some 6.5x57 data I can send you
Cat
Old 05-06-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I am confident it is a 6.5x57 its a brno 21, it is a common chambering for the rifle, it has factory barrel and I have shot factory 6.5x57 ammo out of the rifle.
Would you not only cast a chamber if chamber was unknown? Im asking, not telling here. I dont have nearly as much experience reloading as you guys. and when it comes to casting chambers its very much out of my relm. Thanks 32-40 I will check out that site.
I love this site for the great expance of knowledge.
Thanks Guys
Brad
SAAMI does not list any specifications for 6.5x57
I suspect that CIP (the EU equivalent of SAAMI) may have a spec for cartridge size and pressure.
Both of these are industry associations and compliance with standards is voluntary.
It is not uncommon for individual manufacturers to take 'liberties' with standards, and it is common for manufactures to cut chambers with long necks.

I suggested making a chamber cast because you did not state that this was a known factory chamber, and that you had fired it previously. You should be able to carefully measure your fire-formed brass to confirm all the chamber dimensions other than the chamber neck length, which is needed to determine the proper trim length. Fortunately, measuring chamber neck length is a simple task not requiring expensive tooling, there have been several threads discussing this here, a search should find more information.

There can be a wide range of action strength in Mauser type rifles. EU factory loaded ammunition for newer built Mauser M98 type rifles is often loaded to much higher pressures than American factories will. Some EU factory rifles were built using Mil-Surp actions with new barrels. A modern built large ring M98 action can be identified by a knowledgeable person, and can be loaded to much higher pressures than would be wise for an older Mil-Surp small ring M96.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanks everyone! I did some searching. Hornady on line, no 6.5 mauser. then I searched harder thanks pioneer. their hard copy has the info. I was in the city today so I tracked one down.
But Cat or anyone else who has any info, tricks or tips. I'm all ears.
Another question, I have is. I have only ever used set cartridge case trimers, I doubt I'll find one for 6.5x57 so what's the best way to trim cases without spending 300.00
Thanks
Brad

Last edited by bsmitty27; 05-06-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:10 PM

Try Norma and Vivivori powder manuals, and any other European load data source,
Old 05-06-2017, 11:22 PM

Question

Thanks again, qwert and everyone who commented. Think I'm on the right track now. Hornady book has loads for bullets I will be using.
Brad
Old 05-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
snip
I have only ever used set cartridge case trimers, I doubt I'll find one for 6.5x57 so what's the best way to trim cases without spending 300.00
Not completely sure what you are calling 'set cartridge case trimers',

(Depending on the length of your actual chamber,)
I suspect that the trim length you will need may be very similar to a 7x57 Mauser.

A Lee trim gauge can be chucked in a power drill and a wide flat single cut smooth mill cut file can be used to reduce the neck riding portion of the gauge to the neck size you need. A 7x57 Mauser (or similar) gauge would only require the removal of .25mm of steel to make a 6.5mm gauge.
The 7x57 trim spec is .005" shorter than the 8x57, but I do not have a spec for the 6.5x57, and your rifle may require longer or shorter. Shorter is easier, as you can grind the flash hole pin to the needed length, but YOUR rifle's chamber may be able to safely use longer, (measure YOUR chamber).
The Lee gauges are typically a little short, and cut the case shorter than needed, another similar gauge may be a better choice than the 7x57, but his will depend on the finished length you need and availability of gauges suitable for modification.
When a gauge is modified, it should be stamped or engraved with the new size.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Banned

Here is a link that gives you some information:
The case length is shown as 2.232" which is likely max and Max OAL is 3.228".
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=401

You need a membership to access load data but if there are a few loads you are interested in PM me and I will pass the data on to you.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Not completely sure what you are calling 'set cartridge case trimers',

(Depending on the length of your actual chamber,)
I suspect that the trim length you will need may be very similar to a 7x57 Mauser.

A Lee trim gauge can be chucked in a power drill and a wide flat single cut smooth mill cut file can be used to reduce the neck riding portion of the gauge to the neck size you need. A 7x57 Mauser (or similar) gauge would only require the removal of .25mm of steel to make a 6.5mm gauge.
The 7x57 trim spec is .005" shorter than the 8x57, but I do not have a spec for the 6.5x57, and your rifle may require longer or shorter. Shorter is easier, as you can grind the flash hole pin to the needed length, but YOUR rifle's chamber may be able to safely use longer, (measure YOUR chamber).
The Lee gauges are typically a little short, and cut the case shorter than needed, another similar gauge may be a better choice than the 7x57, but his will depend on the finished length you need and availability of gauges suitable for modification.
When a gauge is modified, it should be stamped or engraved with the new size.

Good Luck, YMMV.
cartridge specific case trimmer
http://leeprecision.com/gage-holder-6.5x55-swed.html

I have the trim length now thanks to Hornady and some help from others on here. trim length 2.222
Brad
Old 05-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
cartridge specific case trimmer
http://leeprecision.com/gage-holder-6.5x55-swed.html

I have the trim length now thanks to Hornady and some help from others on here. trim length 2.222
Brad
IMHO many loaders place far too much reliance on published data of questionable trustworthiness, (as any comparison of similar data from multiple sources will quickly reveal). Hodgdon starting loads occasionally (or often?) exceed other sources maximum loads, and older manuals often (or usually?) list higher charges than current ones.
What may be safe in one firearm may not be in another.
This is why we always say 'trust but verify', 'use and compare multiple sources', and 'start (~10%) low and work up, (keeping alert for any signs of excess pressure)'.

As I mentioned previously, the 6.5x57 has no SAAMI standard specification (and AFAIK no similar CIP spec) so any published trim length will at best be a 'maybe'. The only way to confirm is to measure your actual chamber, (which is a VERY easy task, doable with basic tools most handyman loaders will have).

Since the 7x57 spec is ~2.235 (and the Lee gauges are usually on the short side) modifying a Lee gauge would not be difficult.

If you already have a 6.5x55 Swed gauge (2.165), you could just place a (2.222-2.165=) .057" thick x <6mm OD washer (or similar) between the Swed gauge and the cutter.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM

257 Bob can be necked up ,and 7X57 can be necked down too form the 6.5X57
Quiklload shows pressure the same as the 7X57 Mauser, ( 56565 CIP)
as does my other data
My '98 actioned 6.5X57 is a very accurate and easy to reload for rifle

Cat
Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 PM

Default Accurate reloading

Here are some loads I found in Accurate Reloading. Hopefully you can use them as a reference. http://www.accuratereloading.com/6557.html
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM

Default balanced round...........

It was a popular conversion for vet bring back 6.5 Arisakas to ease ammo availability based on the .257 Roberts case Stateside..several variations.....Harold