Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 08:49 AM

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod57147.aspx

-Billy Molls
Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
snip
I've used, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Forester, CH, and Lee.
IMHO, brand is a VERY poor way to identify products, as most brands market several different models to hit different price points.
ie: Redding markets low end dies with the classic (obsolete) RCBS design, and intermediate priced models (Type S), and the high end Competition 3 die sets (with sliding case guide on both the bushing neck die and seater and a body only die). I suspect that the "Redding Match' dies Elk11 often refers to, are the 'Type S' NK 3 die sets, and not the 'Competition' series.

All Corvettes are Chevs, but all Chevs are not Corvettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Not a big fan of the Lee dies for compressed loads, seem to give inconsistent seating depth.
snip
Lee markets a standard (RCBS design) combination seater / crimp die with their lower end 2 die FL & seater sets, and those of their 3 die sets not containing their excellent Collet neck die.
Most users of combination seater / crimp dies suggest seating and crimping in separate operations, resetting the die for each.

Lee also markets a 'Dead Length' seater die, which is included with their 'Ultimate' 4 die, and Collet Neck 2 die sets, and those 3 die sets that include a Collet Crimp die.
The 'Dead Length' seater is adjusted in the press to provide solid contact with the shell holder, and this provides better repeatability, especially when seating compressed loads. IMHO it is a FAR better design than any of the combination seater / crimp designs.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Last edited by qwert; 05-06-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 AM

I also like the Lee Factory Crimp die for my hunting loads.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IMHO, brand is a VERY poor way to identify products, as most brands market several different models to hit different price points.
ie: Redding markets low end dies with the classic (obsolete) RCBS design, and intermediate priced models (Type S), and the high end Competition 3 die sets (with sliding case guide on both the bushing neck die and seater and a body only die). I suspect that the "Redding Match' dies Elk11 often refers to, are the 'Type S' NK 3 die sets, and not the 'Competition' series.

All Corvettes are Chevs, but all Chevs are not Corvettes.

Lee markets a standard (RCBS design) combination seater / crimp die with their lower end 2 die FL & seater sets, and those of their 3 die sets not containing their excellent Collet neck die.
Most users of combination seater / crimp dies suggest seating and crimping in separate operations, resetting the die for each.

Lee also markets a 'Dead Length' seater die, which is included with their 'Ultimate' 4 die, and Collet Neck 2 die sets, and those 3 die sets that include a Collet Crimp die.
The 'Dead Length' seater is adjusted in the press to provide solid contact with the shell holder, and this provides better repeatability, especially when seating compressed loads. IMHO it is a FAR better design than any of the combination seater / crimp designs.

Good Luck, YMMV.
The dies that I am referring to as the Match die set, are the Type S Match die set

Old 05-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
They have a nicely adjustable trigger, If you haven't adjusted it already then do so before tearing it apart to change springs. You'll probably find you don't need them.
I adjusted it as low as it would go it is still over 2 3/4 lbs. I would like to be in the 1 3/4 to 2 lb range. I know it's claimed to go as low as 2 but mine doesn't.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I adjusted it as low as it would go it is still over 2 3/4 lbs. I would like to be in the 1 3/4 to 2 lb range. I know it's claimed to go as low as 2 but mine doesn't.
Mine is right around 2lbs, with the factory spring.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The dies that I am referring to as the Match die set, are the Type S Match die set
I quite like performing the shoulder bump & body sizing using a Redding body die and the Competition shell holder set, which allows me to leave the die relatively loose and unadjusted in the press, and using the best size of shell holder to bump the shoulder for a particular chamber. I have the proper shell holder size in my reloading logs for each particular chamber.

I then use either the Redding Competition neck bushing die, or a Lee Collet neck die and seat with the Redding Comp seater.

The Comp neck bushing die allows sizing of only part of the neck length, but the Lee Collet die is just so fast and easy and makes very concentric ammo, and does not require neck turning to obtain consistent neck tension like the Comp neck bushing die does. The Type S neck bushing die avoids the need for neck turning by using an internal expander. I have an optional carbide expander for my Comp bushing dies, but have not completed testing.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
The set screw will give you no difficulty provided you don't get ham handed with it.You couldn't give me a set of Lee dies.....I have Blair,Hornady,Pacific,Lyman, C+H but mostly RCBS .Personal bias I guess...Harold
I use and prefer mostly Redding Competition 3 die sets and Comp over height shell holder sets, and Lee Ultimate 4 die sets.
I am quite excited that Lee is now making their Collet Neck and Collet Crimp dies in 338LM.

I have several sets of RCBS FL & NK dies that I would gladly trade for Lee Ultimate 4 die sets, or needed push through boolit sizing dies.

JMHO
Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:50 PM

I tried an expt with redding, rcbs, Lee, Hornady dies with my duece and a 6.5x55. Same load using nosler brass and 5 shot groups with a variance of 1/4 to 3/8 inch variance best to worst on 3 different days. My ego forces me to use redding dies but I have Lee dies as back up in case I have a male moment
Old 05-06-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
I tried an expt with redding, rcbs, Lee, Hornady dies with my duece and a 6.5x55. Same load using nosler brass and 5 shot groups with a variance of 1/4 to 3/8 inch variance best to worst on 3 different days. My ego forces me to use redding dies but I have Lee dies as back up in case I have a male moment
And lyman dies in th expt
Old 05-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You can fix the problem with RCBS and Redding lock rings with Hornady rings as well. https://x-reload.com/hornady-die-loc...loc-steel.html
I have a number of the Hornady Rings that I have replaced with the Forster ones, you suggested, as I they work better with my Forster Co-Ax press.
However Forster dies come with them and the seating die has a sleeve if one thinks that is necessary. A friend has the FL set that work very well and if one wants to neck size he could add a "223 neck size bushing bump die set", if you can find one.
If one just buys the "neck size bushing bump die" he could add this Micrometer seating die and be set. https://x-reload.com/forster-223-rem...eater-die.html