Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default Remington Nylon 66

I recently picked up one of these, on trade for some work on another firearm. Never been interested in owning one myself, but it peaked my interest primarily to learn it's internal mechanism. Mine is an Apache Black or Black Diamond model. Apparently these guns will continue to shoot and cycle even when horribly dirty and gummed up. Well, the previous owner took that for all it's worth as this thing was so dirty internally that it took 2 sessions of ultrasonic bath cleaning to get the internal parts cleaned up. Otherwise though, it looks to be in good shape. I've seen a couple or so at gun shows, and they seem to have a following of collectors. When I get this one back together, I'll probably sell it unless it really impresses me as another potential rimfire to my current collection.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned

Default Great little guns,enjoy it.

One of those was my first 22. About the mid seventies. Was 59.00 and came with a scope. Shot seven or eight bricks of ammo through it. Was a great little gun. Traded it off on a 30-30 model 94. Guess that's why I have no love for a 30-30. Young and stupid.
Seen a new in box, unfired for sale locally the other day.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM

They were very popular many years ago, I actually preferred the Nylon 77 with the detachable magazine. A nice clean one can bring several times what they sold for new.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I recently picked up one of these, on trade for some work on another firearm. Never been interested in owning one myself, but it peaked my interest primarily to learn it's internal mechanism. Mine is an Apache Black or Black Diamond model. Apparently these guns will continue to shoot and cycle even when horribly dirty and gummed up. Well, the previous owner took that for all it's worth as this thing was so dirty internally that it took 2 sessions of ultrasonic bath cleaning to get the internal parts cleaned up. Otherwise though, it looks to be in good shape. I've seen a couple or so at gun shows, and they seem to have a following of collectors. When I get this one back together, I'll probably sell it unless it really impresses me as another potential rimfire to my current collection.
I think I read some place where they test fired the Nylon 250,000 shots and no cleaning. Not a single failure to fire... hope you keep yours.. FS
Old 04-22-2017, 02:00 AM
Banned

Keep us updated
Old 04-22-2017, 06:09 AM

They are a cool little gun. They go and go . The main thing that breaks is the charging handle .

I was lucky enough to find a nylon 10 which is a single shot bolt action that I gave to my son when he was starting to shoot . It also has a nylon stock
Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 AM

I had one and it shot pretty good but I never used it(bought a 17 hmr) so I sold it.I didn't like the tube clip but it worked great,I can't remember it ever jamming.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Old man got one in his closet from the 70's, man we shot a lot of critters etc with that little gun.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 AM

I remember reading about Tom Frye in the American Rifleman when I was younger.
That is a HUGE pile of blocks!!
In the link it says that the rifles were only cleaned three times!!
http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/0...mous-nylon-66/
Cat
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I remember reading about Tom Frye in the American Rifleman when I was younger.
That is a HUGE pile of blocks!!
In the link it says that the rifles were only cleaned three times!!
http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/0...mous-nylon-66/
Cat
Holy crap eh! If that doesn't sell rifles then what will eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
They are a cool little gun. They go and go . The main thing that breaks is the charging handle .

I was lucky enough to find a nylon 10 which is a single shot bolt action that I gave to my son when he was starting to shoot . It also has a nylon stock
And you're absolutely correct. The charging handle is broken in mine also, which I forgot to mention.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 PM

Default Still have mine

a 1972 Model 77. I can't count the number of gophers that have been shot or bricks of RF put through it. Used to clean it once at the beginning of the varmint season. I do drag it out from time to time to let a younger shooter give it a try. It's nice and light so they are not intimidated.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:57 PM

I had one for a while, jammed a lot, constantly pulling the cover to get brass out of it. Turned me off ever buying another autoloader .22.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Banned

I had two of them, they function great but the black and chrome (thats right chrome) had an issue with the scope moving all the time as it settled into the chrome constantly, had a real had time holding zero.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 PM

ive got the complete collection of them
the senica green was hardest to aquire
really good guns
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Great little guns Yvan. My daughter carried one for a few seasons.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 PM

I grew up using them, my dad always had one or two. A couple of years ago it stopped working. Seemed to have something to do with the trigger reset & disconnect.

So I took it apart. Completely apart. Holy ****! I did manage to get that thing back together without anyone's help. Still doesn't work right but eff that thing.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I think I read some place where they test fired the Nylon 250,000 shots and no cleaning. Not a single failure to fire... hope you keep yours.. FS

maybe gitrdun will offer his up for a test.

If we each donate a couple bricks of ammo he should have enough to give it a go.

He does have an ultrasonic cleaner.........so he should be able to deal with the aftermath....
Old 05-02-2017, 09:06 PM

They are pretty cool little units. I have the Mohawk 10 C model with a clip. Functions great although I rarely use it.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They were very popular many years ago, I actually preferred the Nylon 77 with the detachable magazine. A nice clean one can bring several times what they sold for new.
There was a nice one featured a couple months back in a security tape at a Blackfalds gas station with two punks pulling an armed robbery.Harold
Old 05-07-2017, 12:48 PM

I have the 66 in Mohawk Brown,shot a truckload of bunnies(snowshoe hares) with it back east after deer season ends and they turn white,often times before we had any snow.
As my good buddy would say "they's a glowin' like javex jugs" 😂
Them rifles just run and run forever.Sweet lil featherweight gun to carry.
Only one complaint/frustration would be target shooting /sighting in a new scope originally with it supported under the forestock it was all over the map until I figgered out the problem and supported the receiver for sight-in.
I've seen mint/BNIB condition specimens online with asking price as high as $800USD!!(whether they get that or not who knows?)
There is actually a couple Nylon66 owners forums if you google it,some great info and vids on complete strip down/maintenance,serial# dating etc.
Here's one of them that I visit for info... http://nylonrifles.com/forums/
Old 05-08-2017, 10:26 AM

I cleaned one up for a friend cause it wasn't working well found out why a) it was dirty as all hell and b) some nucklehead took it apart and lost the tiny spring that re-sets the firing pin. Aside from the tube magazine I quite like them they are cool little rifles.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:41 AM

Default except

Parts are non-existent to near impossible to find.Amazingly several people had complained of broken stocks.........not sure how that happened.They didn't do well scoped with the sheet metal receiver cover......Harold
Old 05-08-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Parts

About three years ago I ordered a small box of parts to fix up two of them, including a spare charging handle, from Numrich in the states. Unfortunately, shipping and duties made it cost prohibitive to do one, or two for that matter but I bit the bullet, added a few other odds and ends for other projects to make it worth while and got them running fairly smoothly. Numrich had all the parts that I was looking for at that time.

Otto

Last edited by otto389; 05-08-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Add
Old 05-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedive View Post
I cleaned one up for a friend cause it wasn't working well found out why a) it was dirty as all hell and b) some nucklehead took it apart and lost the tiny spring that re-sets the firing pin. Aside from the tube magazine I quite like them they are cool little rifles.
It doesn't take much for a tiny spring to go "boiiinnnnng" and fly out into unknown parts. I've spent hours looking for a 5 cent spring. Thus the moral of the story, I keep my working area clean, well lit and soft rubber padding on the floor to reduce rebounds. Also have a magnet very handy close by.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Every gunsmith should have a large plastic bubble that they climb inside before they start on any unknown disassembly projects, especially true for the Remington Nylons. D.H.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:48 PM

I have a magnetic sign from the door of a service truck on my work bench for disassembly, saved parts from being lost a few times.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Every gunsmith should have a large plastic bubble that they climb inside before they start on any unknown disassembly projects, especially true for the Remington Nylons. D.H.
LOL, let's no forget those tiny ball bearings that are spring loaded and shoot just ahead of the darned spring.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM

A magnetic mat, now that's not a bad idea. Hmmm. Magnetic walls, roof and floor? you might be onto something. D.H.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
A magnetic mat, now that's not a bad idea. Hmmm. Magnetic walls, roof and floor? you might be onto something. D.H.
Then I have to search for "that" specific part along with all the curly spaghetti that came off the lathe. Nawww, I'll pass.