Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2015, 12:03 PM

Default Want a good year on the Bow River Starting Now!!

Hey There I am really looking to have a good year on the Bow 2015. I was out the other day and had little luck but am really gearing to get into the Bow this year. I am from BC originally and fish alot of lakes wet fly and nymphing to be honest. I love fly fishing and have been doing it all my life and am currently dedicating myself 100% to having a productive season on the Bow. Any tips for this time of year would be much appreciated. I am spinning up some stones black and gold. As for dry am starting on some BWO's and cdc emergers. ITs a matter of getting out there lots but it makes me fume when i am seeing all these videos of dudes hauling in lots of fish and I want to be that guy this year. Help, all the best and happy fishing ladies and gents!!
Old 03-14-2015, 01:52 PM

Try swinging some streamers on a sink tip as well
Old 03-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Learn to nymph like nobody's business and just keep fishing it, you'll learn the river.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-14-2015, 06:21 PM

for nymphing, prepare to loose a load of flies. Get back ups just in case, nymphing the bow is quite a pain but rewarding
Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 PM

Do research on appropriate streamers for brown and rainbow trout. Throw them and you will be rewarded with larger than average trout.
I nymph the bow regularly and don't lose a lot of flies. I think if you're losing flies you need to shorten your leader or use less split shot. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 AM

I rarely lose flies nymphing and always use a 9ft leader. Perhaps you are using too much weight. Using as heavy a tippet as possible also helps (I usually use 12lb maxima...many fish have not cared)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 AM

For the bow all styles of fly have there days in my opinion.

Many run indicators with nymphs and croni's. This works and often I find it is good for numbers with a smaller overall average on the size of fish. That said big boys fall to it as well.

Dry flies on the right day can be deadly. Hoppers, tomthumb, humpies, and caddis have treated me well.

Big streamers have produced the biggest fish for me and is a good year round choice. Wollybugger style flies, zonkers, sculpin patters, and a number of minnow patterns. This really shines for the big browns and bulls/lakers/pike(when you find them). Rainbows fall for it well as I find the trout in the bow very predatory. I have run some large heavy flies with good success in the bow.