Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Default Crazy day

Spotted 4 coons crossing an open field while on my way to check coyote snares , got 2. Unloaded my quad and first snare set held a nice white female coyote , on to the bait sets , nothing there but still a good day . Now is when things go sideways , next snare has held a big coyote til he opened the B.A.D. and got out , and the last set of the day is the kicker , it holds a nice big coyote that his buddies have snacked on ,no bird tracks on the snow so I'm guessing it was coyotes from all the tracks . He is now bait with a couple snares near him . . I've seen and heard of it happening but this is the first for me .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4151.jpg (60.1 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4153.jpg (68.8 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4154.jpg (53.0 KB, 311 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 PM

Now you can have some coon pie for Christmas dinner shame about that big dog tho
one in the hand is still better than 3 in the bush congrats
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Now you can have some coon pie for Christmas dinner shame about that big dog tho
one in the hand is still better than 3 in the bush congrats
LOL .. Not for me bud , one is hanging right now for bait ..
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Spotted 4 coons crossing an open field while on my way to check coyote snares , got 2. Unloaded my quad and first snare set held a nice white female coyote , on to the bait sets , nothing there but still a good day . Now is when things go sideways , next snare has held a big coyote til he opened the B.A.D. and got out , and the last set of the day is the kicker , it holds a nice big coyote that his buddies have snacked on ,no bird tracks on the snow so I'm guessing it was coyotes from all the tracks . He is now bait with a couple snares near him . . I've seen and heard of it happening but this is the first for me .
I notice that the only time I ve had coyote snack on another whole coyote is if he's been shot and there's blood and an opening. Had a couple shot on the snare that they started to eat on.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Gone Hunting

I think the coon population is growing and migrating north.

You're right. Something was eating on the last coyote.

When I was younger , I hunted coons with hounds. There was a Greek guy who immigrated to Canada and worked with me. He was crazy to hunt, but new little about Canadian hunting or animals.

We often ate the racoons or passed them off to friends.

I called him and asked if he wanted a big boar coon I had shot. He said yes, but he lied. when I opened the box on the truck he screamed like a girl. I asked if he needed a hand to skin it.

Some people are rude and just don't appreciate me.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I think the coon population is growing and migrating north.

You're right. Something was eating on the last coyote.

When I was younger , I hunted coons with hounds. There was a Greek guy who immigrated to Canada and worked with me. He was crazy to hunt, but new little about Canadian hunting or animals.

We often ate the racoons or passed them off to friends.

I called him and asked if he wanted a big boar coon I had shot. He said yes, but he lied. when I opened the box on the truck he screamed like a girl. I asked if he needed a hand to skin it.

Some people are rude and just don't appreciate me.
I wish we could chase em here at night with dogs , my dog could use the work . Nice lookinghides , but the greasy little buggars aren't worth skinning .
Old 12-19-2014, 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=H380;2663811]I wish we could chase em here at night with dogs , my dog could use the work . Nice lookinghides , but the greasy little buggars aren't worth skinning .[/Q

Where did you see those raccoons, near what town?
Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 AM

Great job on those coons.those little buggers are terrible hard on our game birds as well as the fox.
The ring tail is starting to get out of control in my area.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=crownb;2663818]
Quote:
I wish we could chase em here at night with dogs , my dog could use the work . Nice lookinghides , but the greasy little buggars aren't worth skinning .[/Q

Where did you see those raccoons, near what town?
I'm south of Lethbridge . Lots of em here , caught my first one 25 years ago .
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Great job on those coons.those little buggers are terrible hard on our game birds as well as the fox.
The ring tail is starting to get out of control in my area.
Maybe I should live trap some and send em your way to get some new blood in the area ..LOL ..
Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should live trap some and send em your way to get some new blood in the area ..LOL ..
Ha ha no thats quite all right cam.but you can send up all your dead ones,free of charge of course,as much as i hate dealing with the little grease balls they sure are beaughtifull tanned and hanging on the wall.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Sure wish we had some around. There's the odd one passing the. Two in the last 15 years. Where would a person have to go to able to have a chance of shooting one
Would make a cool tanned rug
Old 12-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Sure wish we had some around. There's the odd one passing the. Two in the last 15 years. Where would a person have to go to able to have a chance of shooting one
Would make a cool tanned rug
I'm betting most of the drainages south of Calgary have at least some coon population , don't often see em in the daytime . And NO , you don't want em around , destrective little critters , tear off shingles , into grain bins , wreck upholstery on machinery, will destroy your corn in the garden , etc .
Old 12-19-2014, 04:14 PM

I am along a river valley and there are coons around here. Even miles north of the valley there are coons. I did one last year and it did better than any of my beaver I sent in. I think I got 32$ for it. I find they don't stink like a yote.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I am along a river valley and there are coons around here. Even miles north of the valley there are coons. I did one last year and it did better than any of my beaver I sent in. I think I got 32$ for it. I find they don't stink like a yote.
Think we could do some bartering? Five gallons of homemade rhubarb Hutt juice? Lol
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM
AO Sponsor

Don't feel too bad about the scavenged one, I had two that were annihilated yesterday, by coyotes, go figure. I didn't think groceries were that hard come by???

I used to tramp around the Red Deer River in spring after beaver, lots of coon sign back then, that was at least 10 years ago. Perhaps that is the basic coon range line? I know many are killed north of the Red deer every year but perhaps this is where the heavy population stops and the sporadic population begins?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 AM

I've heard a few reports of dead raccoon on hwy 16 east of Innisfree the last couple years.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:13 PM

I'm neAr smoky lake and there are racoons near here now. You guys seriously aren't eating them? They carry a nasty parasite infectious to humans.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezter View Post
I'm neAr smoky lake and there are racoons near here now. You guys seriously aren't eating them? They carry a nasty parasite infectious to humans.
I am not saying I'd eat coon but if you cook any meat parasitic or ecoli or saminila it will kill the harmful things. I would never eat a rare coon steak thats is for sure. I do eat moose and deer med rare. The only side effects were my girl friend said I was sick in the head.