Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Default Do I need to beef up coyote snares?

Was doing a walkaround on a property where I am going to do some coyote snaring and found a decent wolf track. Have seen the odd wolf there but this was right in the middle of all the coyote track that I was going to snare and I doubt that even with the beefier snares I run (3/32" 7x7 with Senneker killsprings and triggers, 265# breakaways) that I would be able to hold a wolf. Should I beef up the breakaways or otherwise try to wolf-proof my snares? I don't want the have to change 75 or so breakaway devices on the off chance I get a wolf.

http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/Da...c249b.jpg.html

The knife is 4 3/4" long closed, for scale.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:43 PM

I'm no expert, but I use 3/32 for wolf, but I don't use break aways. I've never caught a deer and I don't set them around livesotck so I don't use break aways. And like another guy said on here a coyote can exert 300lbs if they take a good run with a snare around their necks.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 AM

ya not sure about the bad dont have any experience with them but without that that would be a good wolf snare. got a big male this year with 5-64 cable with an amberg lock with dispatch spring and he was waiting dead I wouldnt try it on purpose but he found a coyote setup
Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 AM
AO Sponsor

If you want to ensure that you will hold your wolf should he get caught, I would change out the breakaways, most certainly. The 265 is not designed to hold a deer sized animal and readily releases even 1.5 year old deer by the neck, therefore the 265 is not a good choice to hold and kill wolves with. Overcrimping the breakaway to increase it's strength can help you to a point, but don't expect to hold a big wolf or one poorly caught.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:42 PM

That's my issue, I just built the winters worth of coyote snares and am now just a bit worried that I will hang a wolf in a coyote snare as there seems to be enough sign around.