Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Default Weasel skinning question

Ok my third weasel was in the box this morning ! How do I skin out this little sucker and not hit the musk gland ! The firt two have been an experience !!! I can deal with it , but if there is a way to avoid it it would be very nice !just not sure exactly were near the butt the scent is ! Any help , thanks in advance .....
Old 12-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Congrats on the weasels! I've given up on trying to avoid the scent glands.....lol! I kinda like the scent but not in a confined space like in the skinning shack where it concentrates. My advice......skin them outside or in the garage where there's lots of space for the scent to dissipate.

I heard that if you save the hind quarters of the weasels and rub one on your weasel boxes to get the scent on them, it'll attract other weasels to your boxes. I haven't put my boxes back out since after the snow storm so I haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:06 PM

This pic is from Trappermen. It shows the where the glands on a weasel are. Right at the base of the tail. You can avoid them when making your initial cuts down the back of the legs.

(this is from Trappermans forum. Hope I'm not creating some kind of vortex posting one forum to another forum.)

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...glands_threads

They can be worth saving for lure making.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg secondgroupofpictures053.jpg (52.6 KB, 87 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-13-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Have a good sharp knife. Don't cut to deep and try to come from the base of the foot to between tail base an but hole.
Be gentle while pulling the hide away as well
Old 12-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Ok my third weasel was in the box this morning ! How do I skin out this little sucker and not hit the musk gland ! The firt two have been an experience !!! I can deal with it , but if there is a way to avoid it it would be very nice !just not sure exactly were near the butt the scent is ! Any help , thanks in advance .....

ROFL Boy does that bring back memories!!!
Been there done that a hundred times, but cheer up, it can be done. Most of the time.

The trick is to cut above them. They are located on top of the anus so be very careful when you cut in that area.
What I learned to do was to make the first cuts up the inside of the back legs to the side of the anus and on to the base of the tail or even a bit up the base of the tail. Then make one cut below the anus to join the first two cuts. You cuts should now form the capital letter A with the anus within the triangle formed by the top of the A. Make sure you leave that triangle piece of fur. That is where the glands are.

It might help you to picture their location to learn that they connect to the inside of the anus, just inside the opening. And at the top of the opening. The scent is ejected through the anus.

Now, on the lighter side. Did you know that it was said that long long ago, by late winter, the inhabitants of the northern forests were getting tired of a steady diet of dried meat stew. That was their primary winter diet, or so it was claimed. So they would start to complain.
After a while the women folk would get tired of the complaining so they would add some flavor to the stew. In the form of a couple of Weasel scent glands.
The story goes that, after that, for the rest of the winter the men folk were glad to have just plain old dried meat stew.

I don't know if it was true or not, but I would bet it would have that effect.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Thanks keg for the laugh , and thanks red for the pic , worked out 98 % perfect , but I certainly have a much better visual of the little critter ! Thanks guys