Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Ford 6.7vs Cummins 6.7 diesels

I am looking at a horse trailer hauler. I have been a Ford man for years, but have never owned a diesel. What are the opinions of F350 and Ram 3500 owners out there on these two diesel duallies?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacowboy View Post
I am looking at a horse trailer hauler. I have been a Ford man for years, but have never owned a diesel. What are the opinions of F350 and Ram 3500 owners out there on these two diesel duallies?
Just a reminder this is in guns and ammo, I think the mods can move it to gerneral for you. Might get more answers over there too.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Default Cummins, Only way to go

I was a ford guy just as you for years, My last ford was a 2007 F350 with the 6.0L Diesel, That engine turned me off of fords all togeather. The new 6.7L Engine ford has come out with now sounds good but.. It is a untested platform and just because of that I would be hesitant on owning one for at least a few more years. Cummins on the other hand is tried and true, I have owned a 2007 3500 mega cab with the 5.9L, A 2007 3500 5.9L Service truck, Currently I have a 2011 3500 with the 6.7L in a service truck I have put on 60.000k so far and have not had Any majour issues with any of them for a combined total of around 400.000 k. The fact that Cummins Is a engine builder and has been doing so for as many years as they have I would put my money on that over a new engine Platform.

Oh ya not to mention I work for Cummins !!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM

ive driven both. both are great engines. fords a little more peppy. it comes down to what youd rather drive as far as comfort and price. but dodge is notorious for junk tranny's
Old 09-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordpilot83 View Post
ive driven both. both are great engines. fords a little more peppy. it comes down to what youd rather drive as far as comfort and price. but dodge is notorious for junk tranny's
And injectors, and pumps....

If you have unlimited resources for repairs, by all means buy Dodge.

I am betting that the 6.7 will be a winner, been researching it since it came out. I bought a f350 Srw 2 weeks ago yesterday.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Get a Cummins engine, Allison tranny mounted on a Ford frame and you all set...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM

What's Ford on for diesel engines now? 4? Maybe they finally got it right this time, but I wouldn't bet $60000 on it. Cummins has been building diesels for a LONG time. In my opinion it is the only true diesel ever put into a pickup. An inline 6 will always be more efficient than a V8 diesel. Don't see many highway tractors driving down the highway with a V8, must be a reason for that?
I can think of one improvement Ford could add to their diesels.... A bike rack so when you break down you still a mode of transportation
Old 09-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordpilot83 View Post
...but dodge is notorious for junk tranny's
I've owed 4 Dodges with Cummins engines - both SRW and DRW. Of the 4, I've replaced the grand total of ONE transfer pump.

Either I was spectacularly lucky, or the Dodge bashing is just noise.

That said, I'd have a look at the new Ford 6.7. Hard to say how it will hold up, but I hear the mileage is quite good. I would look at a Ford in a few years if the new 6.7 engine proves reliable. Until then, there's just something about making diesel engines that has so far been beyond the ability of all the mainstream N.A. auto makers and I'll stick with Cummins.

BTW, the interior of the new Longhorn is real purdy.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
What's Ford on for diesel engines now? 4? Maybe they finally got it right this time, but I wouldn't bet $60000 on it. Cummins has been building diesels for a LONG time. In my opinion it is the only true diesel ever put into a pickup. An inline 6 will always be more efficient than a V8 diesel. Don't see many highway tractors driving down the highway with a V8, must be a reason for that?
I can think of one improvement Ford could add to their diesels.... A bike rack so when you break down you still a mode of transportation
Well that is why they have that step that comes down from the tailgate. That is so you can hire midgets to push you home. JK.
IMO the cummins is the way to go. I maintain a fleet of diesel busses and the only ones that are worth anything is the ones with the cummins in them
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM

One thing about the Ford that may be a concern is how much the frame twists. Saw it online in the head to head where the Ford actually gets a wrincle in the tailgate. Didn't know what to think of it and then in Calgary I saw guys drive the Ford, Dodge, and GMC over a smaller ramp thing and I could not believe how much the Fords frame flexed. I couldn't open the tailgate of the Ford but the Dodge and GM opened easy. What we saw convinced both the wife and myself never to buy a Ford if one was going to drive through ditches or uneven ground. Here is the online link http://www.buddschev.com/NewVehicles...0/Default.aspx
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 PM

If you are looking for fuel efficiency look at the Ford. The new cummins isn't as easy on fuel as the ford. The Dodge boys will chirp that you don't have to deal with urea but what you gain in mileage offsets the use of urea. The 2014 cummins will have the urea and you will see an improvement in mileage when they do so.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Real diesels are 6 cylinder
Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbobthebuilder View Post
Real diesels are 6 cylinder
Don't know about that. Both the Duramax and the Powerstroke in their current form outperform the cummins in just about every aspect. Numbers don't lie, the ford and chev put the power down better then the cummins. The engine is only a small part of the equation.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Don't know about that. Both the Duramax and the Powerstroke in their current form outperform the cummins in just about every aspect. Numbers don't lie, the ford and chev put the power down better then the cummins. The engine is only a small part of the equation.
The inline six produces much higher torque at lower RPM, again the reasoning 99% of hwy tractors run them. I have always found the V8's require way too much rpm to get the torque up, much the same as a gas engine. I would love to test drive a duramax with a standard (if they made one) just to see it's lugging power. I'm sure it would be no different than a gas.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The inline six produces much higher torque at lower RPM, again the reasoning 99% of hwy tractors run them. I have always found the V8's require way too much rpm to get the torque up, much the same as a gas engine. I would love to test drive a duramax with a standard (if they made one) just to see it's lugging power. I'm sure it would be no different than a gas.
Actually if you look at the torque and HP curves of the duramax, powerstroke and cummins they all are pretty much the same across the RPM range. The cummins starts building torque 100 rpm earlier but after they are pretty much the same so Lugging power is no different. Where the Dodge falls short is in the tranny department. They need to step up to the same level as the Allison and Ford's version of tranny.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Actually if you look at the torque and HP curves of the duramax, powerstroke and cummins they all are pretty much the same across the RPM range. The cummins starts building torque 100 rpm earlier but after they are pretty much the same so Lugging power is no different. Where the Dodge falls short is in the tranny department. They need to step up to the same level as the Allison and Ford's version of tranny.
I'd actually heard a rumour that dodge is done with standards (what a shame), looks like it may be auto's from here on in.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 PM

i don't own either, but somehow a cummins got in our lineup of fords at work(read this as it was to good a deal for even die hard ford lovers to pass up), and for a truck that came out of the oilfields, the cummins causes us way less grief in the shop than our fords. the cummins shakes more and is louder, but if i were to take a long trip, i'd be taking the cummins. my neighbor just bought the new 6.7 ford, and said he thought the cummins was a better motor, and he bleeds ford. to each their own.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM

Just curious. How many guys here posted and actually own a diesel truck? You know what they say opinions are like. Dodge doesn't use urea, nope. Just lots of EGR. And if you look Cummins and Duramax have gone through lots of motor updates as well. I have had both a 6.4 PSD for well over 200,000km with not one repair running a 275hp Spartan tune, and a 6.7 PSD for over 80,000km with a 165 hp H&S tune, also no repair. Can't say much for the other two, don't own one. 6.7 is a step up in STOCK power and mileage.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I cant comment on the pickup truck engines to much but when it comes to highway tractors I would never buy another Cummins. My new 2012 Peterbilt has a 525 HP Cummins and its the biggest pile of junk I have ever drove. The truck only has 45,000kms on it and it spends more time in the garage then on the road. Its always related to emissions every time. So yeah Cummins may have been building engines for years but I have 0 faith in them now. Most of our fleet has Cummins and they all have lots of trouble. Constant EGR problems and one blew up at 20,000 kms. We are dropping the Cummins engines on our next trucks. I have spoken to many other drivers also that are having nothing but trouble with Cummins engines. Sounds like Cummins makes great engines dont it. Maybe Cummins should also put bike racks on anything that has there engine in it cause I know I could have used it many times.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Banned

The reason Cummins does not have a V8 in current production is cuz they learned their lesson years ago that they couldn't do it. I worked on many of their various V8 displacement engines back when and they were definately not any better than the 6.0L. The inline 6 is for torque and then you just tranny it up as you see fit..
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM

I own both a duramax and cummins. In my opinion the inline 6 is a far superior motor. Sure like the ride of the chev though.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 PM

These discussions are somewhat comical aren't they
Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Shootin'- yes I own diesels.

Until tomorrow, then I think the 7.3 will be gone.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I'd actually heard a rumour that dodge is done with standards (what a shame), looks like it may be auto's from here on in.
I did my last imitation of Stompin' Tom Connors not long after I had a summer job driving a 50t Rock Wagon, sometimes overloaded, uphill and downhill....with it's automatic transmission.

My 2012 3500 dually automatic hauled 18,000 or so this summer up some pretty healthy grades and never broke a sweat. 'Course it has the Max Tow package.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM

I have been running a 2012 F-350 with the 6.7 for 10 months now and cant say a single bad thing about it. 80,000kms and hasnt let me down yet. The new variable or twin turbo has no lag, the Urea is well worth the fuel economy (13.5L/100kms) and the towing is effortless. I have pulled everything from an 18,000lb load all the way down to a small 5x10 and still giggle when i approach a good hill with it.

They all build good trucks now so it all comes down to what you can afford to buy and what grill makes you smile
Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 PM

I'm building cummins number three. I've had two, bought one that was blown to rebuild (from the forum... Thanks - almost ready to stuff back in...). Engine blew to a known issue, so I didn't have any surprises when I bought it. I've fixed the issue (issue to do with not enough gap in the rings if the cylinders/pistons get too hot - supposed to affect two model years).

One thing to remember is the Cummins costs you two less injectors when you need to replace them. That is almost a grand. Not to mention less labour because of only one valve cover when you do replace them or adjust the valves. Robert Bosch injectors are all supposed to have a maximum of five micron filtration, but most trucks don't get this (factory used to be 7 to 10... not sure what it is now). I filter to 2 or 3 microns using cat filters (and I've been promised, sworn, you name it they will not work in cold weather...) and am estimating an additional 50 000miles on the injector life (came via a friend who spoke to the owner of Exergy, and showed him our filter setup).

IF I were to get a 6.7 cummins, I'd do two things right away... I'd do a dpf delete, and I'd drop the oil pan and replace the connecting rod bolts (red loctited). I personally won't get a Ferd or GM diesel cause I like the Cummins engine way too much. I don't have experience with them to say they are good, bad or indifferent.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 AM

Default old school

It's interesting reading all these opinions on diesel trucks. Here's the dirt on mine. Original owner 1994 SLT Laramie, 2wd, auto, 12valve, 135,000k, 4:10 posi, BD fuel plate 605 torque, BD 3 piece pulse exhaust manifold, 4" exhaust with flow pro max muffler, air ride ( rear),autometer pyro,trans &boost gauges, max boost calibrated 29lbs, original paint, original rear brake shoes( new ones in box waiting),never winter driven, est hp. -275-300, and not for sale. This truck pulls a 10,500lb. Arctic Fox FW, at 105km/hr it regularly gets 15-16mpg, without trailer at 110km/hr- 25-28mpg everyday of the week, this is on rolling praire, naturally steeper terrain will lessen mpg. The only repairs to this truck have been batteries, 1 starter,front pads, and tires. The new diesels may be more user friendly with all the hi-tech crap and emmisions but mine sounds like a real diesel, with tons of grunt, you guys have fun spending 60k on the new ones, I'll keep my vintage, deadly reliable cummins--S.P.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 AM

[QUOTE=Rocky7;1601229]I've owed 4 Dodges with Cummins engines - both SRW and DRW. Of the 4, I've replaced the grand total of ONE transfer pump.

Either I was spectacularly lucky, or the Dodge bashing is just noise.

That said, I'd have a look at the new Ford 6.7. Hard to say how it will hold up, but I hear the mileage is quite good. I would look at a Ford in a few years if the new 6.7 engine proves reliable. Until then, there's just something about making diesel engines that has so far been beyond the ability of all the mainstream N.A. auto makers and I'll stick with Cummins.

BTW, the interior of the new Longhorn is real purdy.[/QUO

tranny=transmission
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootin' blanks View Post
Just curious. How many guys here posted and actually own a diesel truck? You know what they say opinions are like. Dodge doesn't use urea, nope. Just lots of EGR. And if you look Cummins and Duramax have gone through lots of motor updates as well. I have had both a 6.4 PSD for well over 200,000km with not one repair running a 275hp Spartan tune, and a 6.7 PSD for over 80,000km with a 165 hp H&S tune, also no repair. Can't say much for the other two, don't own one. 6.7 is a step up in STOCK power and mileage.
what Major changes has cummins made ? They went from the 5.9 to the 6.7 is the only major one I can think of how many total engine changes has ford done ?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootin' blanks View Post
Just curious. How many guys here posted and actually own a diesel truck?
Unless you live under a rock or in Ontario you should know that it is a crazy question. This is Alberta, everyone drives a diesel.

I'm on my second diesel.