Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Default Berger VLD Hunting Bullets

Anyone used the VLD Hunting Bullets in .270? I bought a package of the 130gr the other day and thought about making a load for them. They are self described as "highly frangible" and they claim that they don't normally make a pass-through shot.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with them and if how frangible they are might lead to too much meat loss.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Anyone used the VLD Hunting Bullets in .270? I bought a package of the 130gr the other day and thought about making a load for them. They are self described as "highly frangible" and they claim that they don't normally make a pass-through shot.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with them and if how frangible they are might lead to too much meat loss.
No direct experience with the 130 Berger out of a .270, but have killed some game with the 168 out of a 7RM and the 130 out of a 260 rem. PM me if you want more info on my experiences.

Bobby B.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 AM

I would also like to point out that Walt Berger himself send me the load data for the .277 and .224 bullets. Great service when the owner sends you information.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM

I use the 210grn in the 300wm, worked awesome on an Elk. I went with the large grn round to slow the Vel down, 2800fps, went through a 4 point Elks boiler room, with a toonie sized exit hole at 250 yrds.
Interested to see what the 130's would do to a deer out of a 270. Not sure how frangible they are, compared to the 210, 30cal.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM

Default 140gr.

I was using the 140grain .277 hunting VLDs a couple years ago and shot a WT buck at about 200 yards. I shot him quartering away while he was running, there was an exit hole on the oposite shoulder that looked like a rage broadhead had passed through. I assume it was the projectile casing. He hit the ground so hard he had dirt in his mouth and his neck was broke from the impact of falling. His internals were mush, never seen anything like it. I was using a 270 WSM if that makes any difference to you.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Default Bergers

While I haven't yet shot an animal with the 168 gr. 7mms. I am blowing them through 2 layers of railway ties that my backstop is built of. Next project is to stack some tires behind the stop and fill them with sand.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM

I seen some factory loaded Bergers in 7-08 the other day. Thinking of picking a box up and see how they shoot. They were the 140gr.