Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Default Looking for help.

Hey guys I'll be the first to admit I'm a total newbie to firearms, and hunting as well.

With that said here we go haha. I know only 1 other person into hunting and he is my hunting partner but he is happy with "coming close" when sighting in his rifle and has no interest in "wasting ammo and money on shooting targets" or going to a range because it's free on crown land. Anywho what I'm getting at is when I do something I like to do it right and I see myself getting into firearms as a hobby and shooting more then once a year (hunting season) possibly even getting into collecting and shooting pistols for fun.

What I'm looking for is someone who wouldn't mind maybe coming to help me sight in my rifle show me a few tips on shooting to help improve my shot. And someone who can just plain help me out with getting comfortable grouping well and teach me some things that would be beneficial to helping me get better. I read about how to sight in a rifle and different shooting techniques. But I personally like to learn by someone who might be willing to show me a few things in real time. The only down fall is I am not a member of a range and don't plan on joining the sggc until the new year.

If someone might be interested in making a new buddy or even just to strictly teach that's fine. let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I'm in Edmonton but willing to travel a little say 1-2 hrs for a day of punching paper.

Thanks a lot ahead of time!!
Josh.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM

Drop me a pm to set up a time and i will break into the safe and take you out for a day of shooting.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Default tips

I'd be happy to help you out at the range, long as you leave your buddy at home.
For $10.00 you can be a guest at spruce Grove and can shoot right out to 300 yards if you like. I have all of the bench shoot items a guy needs. You need to buy some targets, big and orange are my favorites.
FS
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 PM

Sounds great guys.... My buddys a good guy one of my best friends he just oh how do we sayyyyy cheap haha.

I have no issues paying for a day at the range or buying some targets. Is the range usually busy on the weekend( I would think so) would an evening during the week be better?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahey99 View Post
Hey guys I'll be the first to admit I'm a total newbie to firearms, and hunting as well.

With that said here we go haha. I know only 1 other person into hunting and he is my hunting partner but he is happy with "coming close" when sighting in his rifle and has no interest in "wasting ammo and money on shooting targets" or going to a range because it's free on crown land. Anywho what I'm getting at is when I do something I like to do it right and I see myself getting into firearms as a hobby and shooting more then once a year (hunting season) possibly even getting into collecting and shooting pistols for fun.

What I'm looking for is someone who wouldn't mind maybe coming to help me sight in my rifle show me a few tips on shooting to help improve my shot. And someone who can just plain help me out with getting comfortable grouping well and teach me some things that would be beneficial to helping me get better. I read about how to sight in a rifle and different shooting techniques. But I personally like to learn by someone who might be willing to show me a few things in real time. The only down fall is I am not a member of a range and don't plan on joining the sggc until the new year.

If someone might be interested in making a new buddy or even just to strictly teach that's fine. let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I'm in Edmonton but willing to travel a little say 1-2 hrs for a day of punching paper.

Thanks a lot ahead of time!!
Josh.
I can't help you, too far away but good for you. If your buddy thinks the way he does I'd be looking for a new partner. Otherwise you may spend a lot of time looking for wounded animals. We don't need these kind of guys in the bush. Good for you guys to help him out.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I can't help you, too far away but good for you. If your buddy thinks the way he does I'd be looking for a new partner. Otherwise you may spend a lot of time looking for wounded animals. We don't need these kind of guys in the bush. Good for you guys to help him out.
He actually dropped 2 deer last year in there spot. When I say close is good enough I was referring to target shooting. As for me I just want to. Take it up as a hobby and better my shot to get good with my gun.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahey99 View Post
He actually dropped 2 deer last year in there spot. When I say close is good enough I was referring to target shooting. As for me I just want to. Take it up as a hobby and better my shot to get good with my gun.
Gotcha, ok if you think he's alright well that good. Good luck to you and have fun, stay safe.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM

send me a PM if you like as well. I can take you out to Onoway for some shooting. I can take you as a guest for free.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM

You said "your gun" in the last post, may a ask what your shooting guessing it's your first rifle?

Also if you plan on lots of range shooting as a hobby I would strongly recomend getting a .22lr when the pal gets in.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Oh I hve a pal restricted and unrestricted .. I own a 3030 marlin a .300wsm tikka t3 with a leupold scope .... And a 20guage Remington .