Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Default cartridge dimples

New to reloading, everything was going OK. Until I notice this dimple on my spent cartridges.

This are being fired on a

M1A Springfield 308 semi-auto

New winchester brass
2.750 COAL
2.005 cartridge trim length

What is causing this dimple. How can I fix it. Does this affect anything if I reload it.

Any response is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartidge.jpg (59.0 KB, 161 views)
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM

My guess is the dents are the result of the ejected case striking something hard when it landed. Go ahead and reload them. No problems.

Bobby B.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
My guess is the dents are the result of the ejected case striking something hard when it landed. Go ahead and reload them. No problems.

Bobby B.
You might be on the right track!...when the fired round is being ejected, the next round is slamming into it as the fired round is ejected and denting it from the bottom perhaps?

LC
Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM

By the looks of where the dimples are located. They look to be in the exact same spot so my guess would be from when the slide grabs the round or when its ejected.

Edit. LC beat me to it
Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Those dents appear to be exactly in the same spot on each of the cases. Although I'm not overly familiar with the M1A, I would guess that it is gun related and likely occur during the ejection cycle.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Those dents appear to be exactly in the same spot on each of the cases. Although I'm not overly familiar with the M1A, I would guess that it is gun related and likely occur during the ejection cycle.
this will likely happen every time right? won't this weaken the brass? looks a little scary to me.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Did these dimples appear right after you fired the rounds? Or after you ran them through your sizing die? Too much case lube can cause dents in your brass. It is possible your sizing die has a spot on it that is a little off, and coupled with too much lube, it is denting your cases.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Another reason why i stay away from semi auto... nothing beats a bolt.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Default semis

Should see what a HK91 does to brass.Harold
Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

yes this is caused by the case ejection from the rifle not the resizing process.
Reloading these cases won't be a problem as brass is very maleable and fireforms to the internal measurements of the chamber. However keep an eye out for case separation. When the cases are reloaded maybe 5 or 6 times, the walls get progressivly thinner to the point of case head separation.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
yes this is caused by the case ejection from the rifle not the resizing process.
Reloading these cases won't be a problem as brass is very maleable and fireforms to the internal measurements of the chamber. However keep an eye out for case separation. When the cases are reloaded maybe 5 or 6 times, the walls get progressivly thinner to the point of case head separation.
How do you ensure uniform case capacity with a dent in each of them?

LC
Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

By my experience, too much case lube typically causes dimples on the shoulder, not in the location shown in the pictures. My best suggestion would be to closely inspect the rifle, identify the cause and correct it.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 PM

Looks like a scope mount strike to me, If you want to avoid case head seperation with the m1a try setting your full length die so it only bumps the shoulder a few thou, mystic precisions web site has some good tips for loading for the m14/m1a. I wouldnt worry about the little ding.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the response and pm. I was not able to respond as my friends conspired to have a surprise baby shower for us last night.

With regards to the dimples this was form after it was fired from the rifle. They are all at the same spot with all the cartridges being fired. Will post some picture later on the scope mount that I installed might be the culprit.

As with regards to bolt action. Yes I do have some was just happy on how this rifle perform out on the box. Decided to hunt with it this season.

Chris
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
How do you ensure uniform case capacity with a dent in each of them?

LC
Considering how small the dent is and the corresponding insignificant reduction in case capacity, coupled with the fact the cases are being fed into an autoloader, I doubt case capacity uniformity is an issue.

Bobby B.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
By my experience, too much case lube typically causes dimples on the shoulder, not in the location shown in the pictures. My best suggestion would be to closely inspect the rifle, identify the cause and correct it.
x2 on the location of the dents. Further, the dents pictured appear to have a sharp edges whereas lube dents do not.

Bobby B.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Here are some picture of the rifle, mount and target. I guess I need to take a video on the gun when being fired to determine if the mount is causing the dent. The mount is made in BC built for this platform and it has a lot of positive feedback down south.

I guess the main question now is, Is it safe to reload as the dent are basically not deep? It does show inside the cartridge when I examine it with a magnifying lens.

The target was made by a 165 grain interbond hornady with varget powder. Shot on the led sled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rifle 1.jpg (33.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6765.jpg (47.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg scope mount.jpg (37.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6768.jpg (46.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Here are some picture of the rifle, mount and target. I guess I need to take a video on the gun when being fired to determine if the mount is causing the dent. The mount is made in BC built for this platform and it has a lot of positive feedback down south.

I guess the main question now is, Is it safe to reload as the dent are basically not deep? It does show inside the cartridge when I examine it with a magnifying lens.

The target was made by a 165 grain interbond hornady with varget powder. Shot on the led sled
Should be just fine to reload. Full length resize and check case length and you should be good to go. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If thats a 100 yard group with that rifle thats pretty darn good as well.

Last edited by bdub; 09-10-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Considering how small the dent is and the corresponding insignificant reduction in case capacity, coupled with the fact the cases are being fed into an autoloader, I doubt case capacity uniformity is an issue.

Bobby B.
I have to stop looking at these pics on a smart phone!.....you are right those dings are not as bad as I first thought.

LC